Propane Access Door Does't Lock - Normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
While checking out the new motorhome, I noticed that the forward left basement storage door, the one that provides access to the propane tank and water pump, doesn't lock when I use the remote key FOB to lock all the doors. (All the other compartments lock and unlock with the remote). I'm hoping that someone is going to tell me that this is normal - a safety feature that enables someone to have quick access to the propane tank in an emergency. Or is it sometng that needs to be fixed? When I read the owner's manual, it only says that the propane tank compartment door "should" remaiin unlocked.

Kev

It is really a safety feature so the propane shutoff can be quickly accessed by anyone in an emergency without needing a key. I believe it is mandated by safety legislation.

it's against a DOT law to have a locking door on the propane compartment.

Also against NFPA 1192, the fire and LP gas safety standard that RVs must adhere too. Propane shutoff valves must be accessible at all times, so a locking door is not permitted.

I know of no standard or DOT regulation that requires the generator be accessible, but I don't claim to know them all! They do always seem to have no lock, so maybe there is something that applies. Maybe just an RVIA standard, which does not have the force of law.

Note that the vehicle engine compartment can be locked, and so can the vehicle fuel tank access door, so not sure why there would be a DOT reg requiring that a generator be accessible. Not that government regs always make sense anyway!

Gary,

While there is no lock on my generator door, it can only be opened easily from inside.  It has a latch mechanism similar to the old hood latch with a "T" handle.  It can be opened by getting under the generator and reaching up and moving the latch by hand.  Not fun!    :)

This appears to be Newmar's way although I believe the top of the line coaches have an electrical open and deployment system.

I'm not sure my Beaver classifies for top of the line, but the generator slides out the front by an electric operated strut. The switch is in the locked/lockable electircal compartment in the left front compartment. The engine compartment has 4 lockable latches on it. Only the propane compartment is unlockable. The battery compartment and the rear electrical compartment are lockable but NOT on the autolock circuits. (keyfob or door handle)

Ken

My 84 Bluebird can only deploy the generator tray by air by use of a switch inside the coach, and my 96 Bluebird is only deployed by an electrical switch in a locked compartment. Almost all pusher rigs I've seen have the generator in the front with no visible means of opening the compartment other than remotely.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom