Auto Configuration Notice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom and Margi

I'm suddenly getting a message "Processing Auto Configuration" in black on a white background with a royal blue frame.  I ran Spy Sweep to get rid of any surreptitious monitoring.  It just pops up .... often enough to be annoying.  My computer was recently automatically updated by Microsoft, if that has anything to do with it.

Anybody know what this is?

Margi

That appears to be your monitor trying to auto-configure it's display.  Check your monitor manual for why the message is appearing and what you can do to stop it.  Have you changed the video resolution recently?  Check the display settings (Control Panel, Display, Settings tab, Advanced button) and see if the display adapter is set to a refresh rate not supported by the monitor.

Thanks, Ned.  Right now it appears the same as taking a child to the doctor's office and having all the symptoms disappear when you walk in the door. ::) 

I'll check everything you suggested so I'll be prepared if it happens again.

Margi

Ned:

I first began this thread in August of 2006.  I saved your answer in case it ever happened again.  Well, it has.  :mad:  Once again, it has happened immediately after a Microsoft Automatic Update and restarting of my computer overnight.

The monitor is a Gateway FPD1530 Flat Panel Display.  I've been through all the OSD commands as outlined in the manual.  They all reflect the optimum settings shown in the manual.  The Advanced Settings on Control Panel/Display/Settings indicate the proper 60hz refresh rate.  I have disconnected and reconnected the monitor to the CPU.  I've rebooted the computer about three different times.  I haven't changed the video resolution. 

Right after the messagbe "Processing Auto Configuration" appears, the "Brightness/Contrast" screen blinks on -- but it is set just exactly as the screen is shown in the manual.  The screen reverts to "Processing Auto Configuration" after 30 seconds or so.

Can you think of anything else I might try?  I hope the problem just disappears like it did lin 2006, but I'm not holding my breath.  The flashing screens are much more intrusive this time and make my computer practically unusable.

Margi

Margi,

The Gateway monitor attached to Chris' Gateway desktop has several buttons on the lower right edge. One of those is labeled 'Auto' and, when pressed, shows the auto processing message, but then goes away. I've occasionally pressed the button accidentally. IIRC I've seen the menu &/or messages stay on a few times and, in those cases, merely pressed the 'menu off' button. It took me some time to realize the buttons were there.

This is a different model monitor from yours, but just wondered if yours might have the same controls.

I have the Gateway FPD2185W which is the same as yours, but 21".  I have never seen the auto configuration message, but I use a DVI cable to connect the display to the video card.  Is it possible that the display settings are changed to a resolution that the monitor doesn't support?  Make sure that the resolution is the native resolution of the display, less is ok, but higher is a problem.  Native resolution for your display is 1024x768.

Ned said:
... less is ok, but higher is a problem.

From this message, here's what happened when I inadvertently had the resolution set too high:

"Out of the box, the PC configured itself and it appeared to work just fine. The default resolution didn't match the monitor resolution (didn't fit the screen, so none of the controls were visible). Changed the resolution to make it fit before realizing there's an "auto" button on the side of the monitor."

Pressing the Auto button will make the monitor try to adjust it's size and position to the supplied signal, but it won't correct the computer display properties to a resolution that the monitor can display.  That has to be done via the Display Properties on the computer.

Tom: 

My buttons are pretty much the same, but are located on the bottom front of the monitor.  OSD to the left, Auto/Set to the right: inbetween are up, down, left and right menu selection arrows.  I went through all of these according to the manual.  For a while I had the language set at German:  that was fun!  But I finally got that correctied.  ;)

Ned:

The resolution is still 1024x768.  It hasn't changed.  Color selection is Highest (32 bit).  Tom has the exact same monitor as I do, but his computer is one year older and came with a "media package" promotion when we bought it.  Mine is plain vanilla version.  He has never had this problem with his monitor. 

Thanks for trying to help, guys, I appreciate it very much.

We just ran a couple of errands in town, left the computer on,  and when we returned my screen looked normal.  After I logged on to the internet to read your message and Tom's the blinking began again. 

One further thought:  most likely irrelevant.  My video cable connects in the conventional location just to the left and mid-center of the back of the CPU.  Since Tom's has enhanced video, his connects to a horizontal slot located further down.

My eternally optimistic self is still hoping it will go away just like last time.  :D  (Fat chance.)

Margi

Ned said:
Pressing the Auto button won't correct the computer display properties to a resolution that the monitor can display.

Understood Ned, and I didn't mean to suggest that it did.

Another wierd happening.  I decided to reboot and reconnect one more time.  I first shut down the computer.  The power button on the monitor showed the LED staying green.  It finally went to amber after almost a full minute, but it would NOT go dark.  I finally had to unplug the power source before it turned off.

Should I start watching the ads for a new monitor?  I would hate to buy a new monitor and still have the same problem.

I think I'll throw my hands in the air, turn the danged this off, and watch the Rose Bowl!  :eek:

Margi

Sounds like Tom is using DVI, as I am, for the monitor connection, while you're using the VGA port.  Have you tried the Gateway support web site?  I've found their support resources to be pretty good and this may be a known problem with an easy solution.

After removing power from the monitor, and plugging it back in, did the problem come back?  The fact that it wouldn't power off suggests the monitor logic was in an unusual state.

Ned said:
Sounds like Tom is using DVI...

That's correct Ned. I completely missed the significance of using DVI vs the VGA port.

Margi,
Try removing the monitor plug from the back of the computer and re-attaching it. If that doesn't work and your's is a desktop computer, remove the cover, remove the one screw holding the video card in place, then remove and replace the card, screw, and cover. It's not difficult. Make sure that power is off when you do these things. I've seen many 'monitor' problems solved just this easily.
Good luck!

The verdict is in.  The monitor is bad.  :-\

This morning I checked the Gateway website and found nothing that would help.  Tom removed the cover and we blew out the dust and made sure everything was plugged in tight.  So, we loaded the CPU and the monitor into the car and drove to our favorite computer tech in Roseburg, OR.

They didn't even touch my CPU but immediately plugged the monitor into their "box".  It did the same thing connected to their CPU as it did on mine.  They didn't even charge us.  Just pronounced it unfixable. 

So, I'm shopping.  Our only resources in this area are Staples, Office Depot and the tech shop.  Tech shop carries Acer monitors.  The other two carry Viewsonic, Acer, NEC, and some others.  The one that appealed to me is Staples store brand 17" (or maybe it was 19", can't remember).  Since I use the flat dash of the Bounder as my desk, I was attracted by the fact that it was on a revolving stand and had built-in speakers.

I'm a little hesitant to buy a store-labeled brand for some reason, even though I really like it.  The clerk said their label is made by ViewSonic.  What do you think?

Margi

Gary:

You're right.  Prices are significantly (about $100) less on line.  I've bought from newegg.com before and will probably buy the monitor from them.  I'm currently trying to choose between an Acer and a Hann-G.  The Hann-G offers better resolution and  5ms vs. 8ms for the Acer for only $15 additional.

Does anyone know if Hann-G is a reliable brand?  Are all these monitors made in the same factory in China, or is there a big quality difference between brands in the same price range? 

Margi

I've never heard of Hann-G but Acer has a good reputation again after being out of the public eye for a while.  Also check the latest Gateway monitors, my FPD2185W has been trouble free and has an excellent image, and it's about 2 years old.  Don't get too hung up on the response times, they only become important when viewing action movies or playing action games.  You won't see the different between 5 and 8ms.

Thanks, Ned.  I appreciate your advice, as uual.  You've helped so many of us solve these mysteries (to us) over the years.  :D

We revisited Office Depot this morning.  I almost bought an Acer P191WBD 19" widescreen LCD monitor which was priced within ten dollars of the one I liked at newegg when shipping was added in.  Decided to sleep on it, instead.  Now, I'll go check out the Gateway monitors.

Margi

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom