Tom Seiler (Seilerbird) in hospital

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sue -- That's the Tom we all know and love!  As soon as I sent him a Jacquie Lawson card, I thought "I'll bet he won't open this and it will end up as spam!"  Definitely a good sign that he's returning to his old self.  ;D  I hope he got the snail mail card before he left the Gainesville hospital.  So glad he has family to count on at this time.  You all are wonderful!  We're rooting for you, Sielerbird!
Margi

Maybe I missed something, I was wondering this evening how Tom is doing?

Bob Buchanan said:
Hello Tom . . .

Sure nice to chat with you today.  And to hear you are moving toward getting back under your own power soon. Also, our conversation was interrupted by relatives coming into your room that I overheard you say you had not seen in over 100 years. I didn't realize you had such an array of siblings - all of which obviously love you and will see that you are OK or whatever it takes now and when you are OK to leave the rehab location.

Hope to photograph some birds with you soon -- take care my friend . . .  :)

Wow, I had no idea Tom was this old, no wonder he's in a hospital. ;)

Hi Framily, yes, Tom is getting back to his old feistiness, which is an excellent sign of progress. My brother-in-law talked to our nephew, Bill Krinkie, who is on his way from California to stay with and help Tom when he is released from the hospital. Bill was as far as Texas yesterday, so should arrive soon.
Tom has not yet figured out about this thread in the forum from what I gather when I talk to him, but some of us family members got this email from him yesterday, so I thought I would pass it along:

"With a whole bunch of fear in my heart I was given a chest X ray
yesterday. I find it very hard to believe, but the results were
normal. The Dr told me it was a very good looking x-ray and he will
give me a copy. I just find this amazing considering how much I have
smoked in the last 50 years.
I am no longer in a hospital, I am in a rehab facility. The food is
great every place I have been. I am hoping to be at home in a week or
so.
Thanks for the emails, cards and letters. I love you all. I got a few
visitors last week. Janet and Susie were here on Thursday. I got a
nice long call from Bob from the RV forum. He and I have gone out
photographing together and he is a great friend."

Good to hear he is on the mend. I have to wonder about the great food comment, I have certainly never found that in any medical facility. ;D

Not trying to thread-drift, Along the same line of food and rehab facilities:

I had the pleasure of staying in rehab sessions. One in 2004 and again in 2009, just for broken bones. 2 different centers.

The first time I lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks and the second time lost 18 lbs in 4 weeks.  Most of the food I discarded/ left on the trays.

I won't even go into the menu choices and preparation....yuk.

Since we're on food, I found the food at Tampa General really good. The first two weeks were consistency of syrup, then went to pudding thickness but it still was good. If I had the chance to get to a kitchen and work on that meat pudding it would have been good enough to serve  DW...... disclaimer....I was heavily medicated.

I didn't ask Tom how the food is in Winter Park Rehab but they have a good reputation for care.

Will,

Just want to thank you for everything you've done for Tom.  With everyone else so far away it's nice to know he has framily there who are so helpful.  I'm sure he was much relieved to hear about his kitties.  Thanks for all of us.

ArdraF

Will:

I want to add our thanks to Ardra's.  You've gone way beyond the call for a framily friend and we appreciate it so much!  Thank you, thank you.

Margi

Thank you for the thank you's. the truth be known Jane has to do most of the affairs with the Kitties. My transplant Doc's forbid me from being around cats so I limit what time I spend with them. It's hard to refuse a big Tarzan and Jane some petting when they need it.

I want to add my thanks too. My name is Jackie and I'm Toms other big sister. I'm in California so It was pretty awful to hear this news about Tom and then not be able to get to him. I really appreciate all you've done for the kitties. That was Tom's big worry when he first phoned me and It's so nice to be able to tell him that they're being well taken care of.

He is so much better now. You can be sure of an argument from him in seconds of giving him an opinion !!! ::)
Thank you again,
Jackie

Will,  Many thanks for taking care of the cats. we have been praying for Tom and the prayers have been answered. We sure hope Tome gets back out taking the wonderful pictures he is so well known for.

Hi Tom's Framily, I have not talked to Tom today because he never seems to be in his room.  Two cousins from Georgia visited him both on Saturday and Sunday and gave a good report.  He still has some balance problems and some confusion, but is doing lots of rehab which is wearing him out.  He has been quite tired.  I spoke with his nurse and his case worker and we will have a consultation tomorrow after which we will know more of what the future for Tom holds.  Our nephew, Bill, is on his way driving from California to Florida and should arrive any day.  Bill can take over with the cats and help in the rehab once a plan is in place.  He will coordinate with Will. I talked to Will about that this morning.

It's great to hear of Tom's improvement. After several days out of electronic touch in Banff, I'm very pleased to find he's made such great progress. TOM: Keep it up, guy, and hurry back to normal.

I spoke with Tom last night. It has been difficult to talk to him because they have him doing therapy a lot.  He has seemed quite tired the last few times that I have spoken with him.  Our nephew, Bill, should arrive today and then Bill will get the key to Tom's motor home and stay in there and feed the cats and do whatever else is necessary while waiting for Tom to get out of rehab.  There will be a conference call with Tom, Bill, Jackie, and me tomorrow with Tom's case worker to talk about future plans.  I will post them here after this call.

There was a conference with all of Tom's medical team and Tom and nephew, Bill, yesterday and I spoke at length to both Tom and Bill afterward.  Bill said that Tom's prognosis looks good, but he still has a long way to go.  He will most likely be moved in another week or two to a long term rehab hospital near his motor home in St. Cloud.  Bill is checking them out to see which one would be a good fit for Tom.  Tom is playing games to help his mind recover and is walking with a walker to help his balance and coordination recover.  He does a lot of rehab each day and is always exhausted when I talk to him, but he has a large will to improve and is working hard at all of his rehab.  He is thrilled that Bill is there.  Bill has met with Will and has taken over care of Tom's motor home and cats.  Our family is extremely grateful for all that Will has done for Tom, but are happy that Bill has come to take over and also to assess Tom's condition.  Bill has some medical training and experience, so is the right person in our family to be there with Tom. He also has a flexible business that he could leave entrusted to his son, Robert, while he is in Florida.

Sue,

Thanks again for the update.  Sounds like a long road to recovery but I'm sure Tom will remain determined.  It's notable that Tom often bragged on our RVForum  how healthy he was, taking no meds and not having any doctor issues.  Now life throws the book at him with full on  everything to recover!  We never know do we?

A message to be taken from Tom's sudden change in health  is to live each day to fullest....... That  is what the RV lifestyle does for  so many of us! Good luck Tom and Will and Bill and Sue and Jackie and to all of us.

Back
Top Bottom