1998 26' Trail Lite TT Newbie Julie Needs Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akajulz

Hi All-  I have recently joined and had a post with several replies about living in a 5th/TT. I have read all the Library info on checklists to bring and what to look for. What I need help with is the value of the trailer. I looked on NADA, and if you don't know every single detail about features an add ons, the retail price is impossible to figure out. Cars are easy- TT/5ths are not  :)

I found a place that might be able to take me for renting a space for a trailer. The price is right, and it is not one of the ghetto/crime/drug dealing locations. It is just a small complex with a lot of old folks-that sounds like me ;) The manager lives on site, and is available during working hours. For some odd reason that I can't quite figure out, they do not allow 5th wheels "because those are the kind you can drive away with". They allow TT and they can be driven off too, so I do not understand the logic there. The longest TT can be 35', and that is fine because I can't afford one that long anyway. The park has mostly single wide mobile homes and a few trailers.  I think I saw one RV, which again, you can drive off in. She did admit that it is the worst spot in the complex due to a large pine tree that sheds needles, pine cones, and sap, but on the plus side it will be shady. And they are very picky about the appearance of the trailer. The reason they have a vacancy is because the last guy showed pictures of a nice trailer, and showed up with a piece of junk. They gave him thirty days notice!

Now that 5th wheels are off the table, a new search led me to this Craigslist posting by a private party. Santa Cruz is only 20 miles away, so it is convenient. They are asking $5,000, but I can only get NADA up to $2300 because I don't know or understand all of the features. The trailer appears clean and in nice shape. The only disappointment is the kitchen. I do not cook a lot, but I do like to bake, and it looks like there won't be many cookies leaving that trailer!

So my question is- based on the features that you can see in this trailer, is $5,000 an accurate price? Of course that will be under the assumption that there are no leaks, dry rot, or any mechanical problems to be found. And maybe someone in the forum has one like it, or had one like it at one time. Comments on any particular problems with this model will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! -Julie

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/rvs/3980184260.html

When using NADA, ignore all the options.  Most of those are standard anyway.  NADA is just an estimate, based on a depreciation schedule and not on real selling prices.  Go to a web site like PPL Motorhomes to see what actual RV selling prices are.

Thanks Ned, but I looked on the site and they don't have anything like it, even in the sold listings. I will keep on looking.

The only disappointment is the kitchen. I do not cook a lot, but I do like to bake, and it looks like there won't be many cookies leaving that trailer!

Why not?  The microwave/convection oven should make great cookies - definitely better than the piece of junk gas oven in most RVs!  We had a convection oven in our conventional house and it worked great - I just had to get used to setting the temperature 25 degrees cooler than the recipe called for to compensate for the better heat circulation compared to a regular oven.  Lack of workspace?  That's what the table is for!

Condition is everything in assessing the value of a trailer.  Is that one worth $5000?  Probably - especially if everything works, it's as neat and clean as it looks in the pictures, there aren't any signs of water leaks (a BIG concern), there aren't any strange smells, etc.

Then there's the value of location - being nearby makes it more valuable to you than one that may cost $1000 less but is 1,000 miles away.  See if the seller will include towing the trailer to your park and help you set it up as part of the purchase - unless you have a truck that will save you a few bucks versus having to hire someone to move it.

And congratulations on finding a space!  Management really makes all the difference in a park.  I lived in my RV for 8 years a bit north of you while I worked in San Francisco - I got there at the beginning of the dot-com boom and prices quickly rose beyond my ability to qualify for a loan.  So instead of throwing money away paying rent for an overpriced apartment I found a park where I could live in my RV.  Acually, I wound up staying in 3 different parks as my employment needs changed, in Greenbrae, Concord and South San Francisco.  All of them were older, none would be considered a 5 star park, but they all had local management who took an active interest in the park operation.

You have a good bargaining point. Tell the seller that $2300 is the book value, but if you like the trailer, say you might go $2700. You will never know until you try. Most craigslist sellers do not expect to get the asking price, so they start high.

$5000 is not unreasonable for any trailer in good condition, regardless of age.  However, $3500-$4500 would be better for a 1998 in that size and quality range (they are not all that expensive when new). You can buy newer Trail Lites most anywhere for $5000-$7000. Check around the RV sales sites to get an idea of asking prices - here is one:

http://www.rvtrader.com/New-and-Used-R--Vision-Trail--Lite-Travel-Trailer-For-Sale-On-RV-Trader/search-results?condition=U&length-feet=22%3A26&make=R--Vision|2291398&model=Trail--Lite&schemecode=AD&sort=price%3Aasc&type=Travel+Trailer|198073&vrsn=hybrid&

The online NADA RV guide continues to depreciate used RV values long after the price has reached its "floor", where somebody will buy it in almost any condition. That makes it rather unreliable for RVs much over 10 years old. In any case, ignore the options list and values - there is very little that would not be standard and even less that would add significant value even if optional.  You can get a better handle on value if your local library carries a copy of the subscription (dealer) NADA RV guide. That one uses actual sales data rather than straight line depreciation. Ask in the reference section. Or ask your banker if they have one.

Back
Top Bottom