Dolly vs. Flat tow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is it that people are struggling with at the campgrounds?  Is it just backing into the site with the dolly back there?

Wait til you try backing that short-tongue trailer behind a long wheelbase vehicle with poor rearward vision - it takes some finely honed skills!  Most people simply drive the car off and disconnect the dolly before parking. Then move the dolly by hand to wherever they will leave it. Your site may not be long enough to leave the dolly hitched or to park it behind the rig - you may have to stick it in a corner or even in a parking lot somewhere. Upscale campgrounds sometimes frown on having extraneous trailers around the site - whether dolly, boat or utility trailer.

RV Roamer said:
I believe the Honda Hybrid has a Continuously Variable Transmission rather than the usual Honda automatic that is known to be towable.? I don't know that there is any major technical reason it could not be towed but Honda has never Okayed like they did the other transmission.? And Remco probably doesn't see enough marke demand to do the engineering and testing needed to develop a solution.

Honda has changed policy and no longer sanctions towing 4 down on its newest vehicles, so they aren't likely to volunteer any information about how to do so.

Once I get a MH, if none of my current autos are towable 4-down, I will buy one that CAN be towed 4-down.  As it is now, I'm starting to plan a trip tp AZ where I would drive to AZ and rent an RV once I get there.  It would be nice to be able to use my 2000 Accord as a toad.  It would kinda blow the experience to leave it somewhere or to have DW drive it behind me.

Let me describe dolly towing. First hook up dolly to MH Now line car up with dolly and drive on, hook up safety chains, hook on wheel straps and cinch down, hook up tow lights.  Drive to next stop, note you can not back up with most dollies (Well , not more than a few feet) or you may damage towed and dolly.  Note two, I forgot to make sure you stop a mile or two down the road to insure the tires are still properly strapped down.

Now, at new stop unhook and drive off towed, unhook and find a place for the dolly (not always easy, though simple with my rig) You may back up dolly w/o car attached (Well, I can, don't know if you can)

Now let me describe 4-down towing.  Pull MH out of campsite (unless a pull through) pull towed up close, unlatch tow bars (easy, simple latch) and extend one arm toward towed, hook up, now do the other arm, hook up, If you are using any of the Motor Home mounted tow bars like the Blue OX or Roadmasters, you just have to be close, not dead on with your approach.  Hook up safety chains, brake solution and lights (Often just a safety cable and a light cable, I have a total of 3 cables myself)  In my case I then start towed, turn wheel hard right, leave in nuteral, twist collar behind right wheel, turn wheels to center, verify I'm going nowhere fast (Speedometer shows about 10mph in Nuteral) shut off engine but do not lock, move shifter to park, remove key (if not already removedl, I have a "Salesman type" ignition lock, I can remove key in any position with the possible exception of ACC) close and lock doors (NOTE: I carry spare car key in MH)

Both sytems,  Now check lights all the way around and brake system

Unhooking at next stop,  Fire up towed and turn to right (Leave in park) Twist collar,  Unhook 2 safety cables, both tow bar ends and all 3 cables (Lights, Brakes and safety break) Fold up the tow bar and latch in the stowed position, Job done

I have had one camper tell me it's more work 4-down.. I have towed with dollies and seriously do not believe him

in addition towing 4-down adds at least 1,000 to your tow rating (you don't have a 1,000 lb dolly to tow you see) and/or takes 1,000 off the total weight of your rig, this translates into better gas maillage.

Now, wear on the drive train:

With the axel lock I use the transmission is in PARK when I tow  There is some where on the differential and axels and CV joints, but these devices routinely go well over 100Kmiles (200k in my case) without replacement being indicated (And at that it was accident damage that took out one CV joint)  Differential is oem, car has over 200K miles driveing, plus another 5k or so towed.

I'd sure like to see him backing a dolly into an RV space.    Yep it can be done but takes longer than it would to unload, and drag it behind the RV.  Guaranteed. Most I've ever backed up was 96'  took me 35 minutes and a lot of swearing.

Shayne, I said I could, did not say I cared to (In fact strongly implied I don't care to)  You are right about it being easier to drag it

I do back a short toung trailer into my drive regularry but with the Lumina APV, not the Motor Home, and the gate on the drive is not much wider than the trailer (If the trailer is in the gate, to get around it you have to go through the house, there is not enough clearance for a normal size human on either side, even if I "Hug" one side)

We started out using a tow dolly when we got our first Bounder.  From that experience I very strongly recommend not even consider using a tow dolly.  Too many negatives vs the one or to positives.  As far as we are concerned 4 down towing is the only way to go and one would be a much happy camper.  IMHO it would be very much worthwhile to purchase a vehicle that can be towed 4 down than it would be to buy a tow dolly.  Remco is a very good source for 4 down towing solutions.

OH did I mention Don't even consider a tow dolly if you wish to be a happy camper.

Sorry  John  I wasn't refering to your statement.  I was refering to Dave's statement dof not being a big deal, backing a tow dolly.  I 've certrainly done it many times  NO PICNIC>  Sorry I shuld have stated  that in the message.

WOW..  :eek:  I must be the only one that was not bothered by using a tow dolly. I am not saying 4 down is not better but.. You do what you got to do...  JMOP  8)

Nope? ?Dolly is fine with me? ?But if you had attended Quartsite last Jan you would understand why I now use a trailer.? I tow a 24' enclosed carhauler witha Lincoln Town Car inside, but then I carry many tools inside just incase someone needs help.? I used to restore lots of old trucks and cars(autique and classics) and have to have my tools? It's just me no other reason.? Heck If I could get away with it I'd be driving a 45'er with a 30' enclosed trailer.? OH but would the wife scream then.? She thinks camping should be in a 4 to 5 bedroom house with 2 kitchens and about 6000' for 2 people.? I had no problems with the dolly except too comfining and it wooled stupid towing Lincolns backward.? Was the brunt of many comments over the CB.? But I joined right in with them.? Didn't bother me.? They are just difficult to back up with an RV attached and a toad hooked up. In fact  still have the dolly at a friends house in IL and sometimes use it for brief trips when back there.

Shayne said:
Sorry  John  I wasn't refering to your statement.  I was refering to Dave's statement dof not being a big deal, backing a tow dolly.  I 've certrainly done it many times  NO PICNIC>  Sorry I shuld have stated  that in the message.

That's ok, as I said, I can do it, I don't particularry want to. 
One of the big issues with a dolly is "Where do I put the dang thing" when parked.  My damon has lots of rear end ground clearance, One could most likely shove most dollies right under the back end  Though for some reason where I have it parked now the hitch is darn near on the ground.  (I tow 4=down)

As for the trailer with the Town Car inside.... This I can understand. but alas, my rig does not have the two ratings for that so FOR ME it is not an option... If it was an option I would very likely do it that way

Guess we're spoiled.  When on the road we just won't sacrifice the TC for any reason we enjoy them and feel comfortabloe in them.  I just happen to be one of the people that can't stand small cars.  And besides when on the road you should drivfe what you are most comfortable with.  Hence this big dummy spends a lot of $ being comfortable, while I can understand others being comfortable with smaller units.  Economy is not a factor with me.  However that being said. on the highway our TC gives about 26+MPH. Probably better than many of the small cars.  Love the luxury  of the TC.  Yet to each his or her own.  Having a thunderstorm here in the desert and the little ShihTsu of ours just jumped on my lap and then on the computer.  What a mess now got to go back and see if I can redo this.  Now pestering the wife.

We always shoved it under the rear of the MH  Was never a problem for us.  The only time I had a problem was my own stupidity.  I left the ignition on and didn't lock the front wheels nor strap the steering wheel and it went from side to side for the 1st hundred feet or so. 
That sure never happened again.  All I could do was look in the Mirror and say Dumb Dummy.  At least I caught it before anyone or anythning got hurt.  Thats what happens when you get in a hurry.  I've learned to slow down and recheck everything even when you know it's been checked before.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom