where to rent a B class van converted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

traveloturc

I am planning a trip for 4 months in USA+Canada  in the year 2007 may.
Me and my wife ,we have two alternatiives to start our trip.We can start from  Miami or Losangeles.
We need to rent a B class van converted for 2 people
Can you please help us where to rent (economically)
The idea is to see all the sea shore of USA and crossing Canada to reach the other coast.
Do you think that 4 months will be enough for this trip ?
What is the approximately daily rent price of a B class van converted vehicle?
Feel free to make  any suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your contributions
all the best
regards 
  :D

Moturis for one rents 21 footers.? Click HERE to see.? ? They are about the only ones I know of nationally that rent class Bs.

That said, have you considered on of the smaller Class-Cs?? ?They are built on a van chassis and offer a lot more living amenities.? There are a number of renters of these.? Two of the largest are El Monte Rents HERE? and Cruise America HERE

In far as touring the USA, most foreign tourists I have met, rent Class-Cs and they feel well satisfied with them.  Europeans find our roads huge, even our secondary roads, so the size of the vehicles is not particularly limiting.  Shopping center parklots are equally huge and folks easily find parking for 42 foot/13 meter Class-A  motorhomes in their outer areas.  I know I have few problems handling a truck with a hitched trailer.

Touring cities in them would be difficult but then RVs and cities are not a great combination -- even my city Los Angeles.  Most of us camp in parks outside the cities and tour in tow or towed vehicles.  The use of commercial tours is a good alternative.  In the USA, automobile rentals are widely available even in small towns.  Enterprise Rentals is a good source for such rentals.  Click HERE to see their website.

Campgrounds at natural venues like Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Glacier NP, or Monument Valley have good connections to commercial guided tours and sightseeing operators.  You will find arrangements simple.  Many of these places have low cost shuttle bus services.  Glacier NP is particularly good in that respect.

The idea is to see all the sea shore of USA and crossing Canada to reach the other coast.
Do you think that 4 months will be enough for this trip ?

Given that you can drive across North America in about one week, sure.  I would recommend arriving in May and returning i/ September.  That avoids all winter issues and allow you some reasonable decent weather in May to see the US NE and SE.  The last weekend in May (Memorial Day) and the first Monday in September (Labor Day) are national holidays with a lot of traveling and camping involved.    The 4th of July, is our Independence Day and the subject of thousands of 4th of July fireworks shows all over America.

Carl

>>The 4th of July, is our Independence Day and the subject of thousands of 4th of July fireworks shows all over America.<<

Except for Denali, AK......No parades, fireworks, flags & not a sign of RED WHITE or BLUE,? no mention anywhere at all, it was as if we were in a foreign country.

It's a shame that instead of remembering the beauty of the area, When Denali is mentioned I will always remember the SNUB to our nations birthday.

If you are serious about a class B conversion, I would consider a Sprinter Van (class B). They are supposed to provide great mileage and appear to be quite easy to travel in. You are seeing a lot of these vans being used as delivery vans by Fed Ex, UPS and companies like that so that tells me the mileage must be good and they must be good for city driving.
While traveling through Canada last fall we ran into several people (mostly Europeans) who had rented them. I did talk to one couple from Switzerland and they seemed to be happy with it.
If I were to be in the market for a Class B, I would seriously consider the Sprinter Van.
I have tried to find a web site for you but haven't found a specific site for Sprinter Vans.
Here is a web address for a rental place in Florida but I don't see any Sprinter Vans in their inventory.

http://www.adventuretouring.com/rv_rentals.htm

The first picture to show up (D-21) is close to being a Class B

I just did a couple of quick google searches on pleasure-way rentals, class b rentals and looked for the leisure van version and found the following sites:

http://www.mcmahonrv.com/rental.cfm - this one has multiple Sprinter vans - both the LeisureVan and Pleasure-Way versions.
http://www.pleasureway.com/ - direct to the pleasure-way site where it lists places in Canada and US to rent the Plateau
http://www.rvusa.com/rvdealers.asp?type=rental - need to specify some states here, but Class B's are available
http://www.gorving.ca/classb.asp - in Canada only

I'm sure if you googled more or used yahoo search or other search engines, you can find some more possiblilties for renting what you would like. You may want to set your start and end place based on where the rental location is.

I just got a new 2006 PleasureWay Plateau and love it! Would recomment that you try one of those over other class B's. Look at this one and the Leisure Van Free Spirit. Since I live in it full time, I chose the Plateau as I and other opinions decided it was more practical for actually living in as opposed to occasional use for vacations. Since you'll be living in it for the duration of your trip, I'd suggest trying out this one if you wanted a class B.
If either of these doesn't suit your needs, none of the other class B's will. In that case, move up to a small Class C which seem to be easier to locate for renting.

Just my two cents.

hi All RV members
I just want to thank you to all of you for your valuable contributions
to my question and my problem
Now I will try to work on the websites and I will return if I have further questions
But I want to thank again to everybody
Now I feel myself a little more confident about my project
all the best
regards
macit

Dear Carl
thanks a lot for your comments
I work a little on your suggestions
1-Moturis 21 footers seems ok
2-El monte and cruise America dont fit too much my expectations because we are only 2 people and we dont need great place in the vehicle
beside this we are not planning to cook too much except the breakfast in the morning
We just need a comfortable 2 place to sleep and a maniable vehicle that we can parc everywhere even in the cities
Dont forget that we have maximum 2-3 days to stay in a particular city or place .That means we are looking for a flexibility in the car
solving all parking problesm in the city.
on the other hand we dont want to attend too much on guided tours because we believe that it limits our freedom to walk around
But I want to thank you with the advice of natural venues because they have low cost shuttle services .
thanks again for your contributions
all the best
macit

Carl Lundquist said:
Moturis for one rents 21 footers.? Click HERE to see.? ? They are about the only ones I know of nationally that rent class Bs.

That said, have you considered on of the smaller Class-Cs?? ?They are built on a van chassis and offer a lot more living amenities.? There are a number of renters of these.? Two of the largest are El Monte Rents HERE? and Cruise America HERE

In far as touring the USA, most foreign tourists I have met, rent Class-Cs and they feel well satisfied with them.? ?Europeans find our roads huge, even our secondary roads, so the size of the vehicles is not particularly limiting.? ?Shopping center parklots are equally huge and folks easily find parking for 42 foot/13 meter Class-A? motorhomes in their outer areas.? ?I know I have few problems handling a truck with a hitched trailer.

Touring cities in them would be difficult but then RVs and cities are not a great combination -- even my city Los Angeles.? ?Most of us camp in parks outside the cities and tour in tow or towed vehicles.? ?The use of commercial tours is a good alternative.? ?In the USA, automobile rentals are widely available even in small towns.? ?Enterprise Rentals is a good source for such rentals.? Click HERE to see their website.

Campgrounds at natural venues like Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Glacier NP, or Monument Valley have good connections to commercial guided tours and sightseeing operators.? ?You will find arrangements simple.? Many of these places have low cost shuttle bus services.? ?Glacier NP is particularly good in that respect.

Dear Radmund
thanks a lot for your help
I ve just check the adventure touring
the vehicle d 21 seems to be the right choice for me and my wife
its maniable ,easy to drive I hope that I can find parking place in cities and comfortable enough to sleep in it
I will try to write a letter to the company asking for a deal of 4 months
I hope that they will make a reduction than their regular prices
all the best
regards
macit  :D

raedmunds71 said:
If you are serious about a class B conversion, I would consider a Sprinter Van (class B). They are supposed to provide great mileage and appear to be quite easy to travel in. You are seeing a lot of these vans being used as delivery vans by Fed Ex, UPS and companies like that so that tells me the mileage must be good and they must be good for city driving.
While traveling through Canada last fall we ran into several people (mostly Europeans) who had rented them. I did talk to one couple from Switzerland and they seemed to be happy with it.
If I were to be in the market for a Class B, I would seriously consider the Sprinter Van.
I have tried to find a web site for you but haven't found a specific site for Sprinter Vans.
Here is a web address for a rental place in Florida but I don't see any Sprinter Vans in their inventory.

http://www.adventuretouring.com/rv_rentals.htm

The first picture to show up (D-21) is close to being a Class B

Macit,
Before you make a final decision on the D-21, I suggest you look at the web sites listed by
Blsmith25? in Post #5.

The web address below is a rental company that rents the Sprinter Van, I'm not sure if the location will work for you however.

http://www.obieone.com/

dear raedmunds71
thanks again for your warnings
I ve checked the web site that you propose the vehicles seems ok but the price for rental are 1200USD per week which can be a little higher than our budget
I am looking specially for a deal of 50-70USD daily rental price
I will also check Blsmith25  in Post #5 today
all the best
regards
macit  :D

raedmunds71 said:
Macit,
Before you make a final decision on the D-21, I suggest you look at the web sites listed by
Blsmith25? in Post #5.

The web address below is a rental company that rents the Sprinter Van, I'm not sure if the location will work for you however.

http://www.obieone.com/

Dear blsmith25
I ve just check your first proposal today
I want to share with you my comments
The sprinter looks a reliable car with Mercedes engine but unfortunately the size is 26.6 which I believe that it will be big for me and my wife.I dont think that I can handle this car in the crowded traffic conditions specially in the cities.
The second choice Classic car seems to fulfill our needs specially the King size bed model is just what we need and the size is reduced to 23.2 which is better than 26.6
I will also chek your other suggestiıons and I will let you know
all the best
regards

blsmith25 said:
I just did a couple of quick google searches on pleasure-way rentals, class b rentals and looked for the leisure van version and found the following sites:

http://www.mcmahonrv.com/rental.cfm - this one has multiple Sprinter vans - both the LeisureVan and Pleasure-Way versions.
http://www.pleasureway.com/ - direct to the pleasure-way site where it lists places in Canada and US to rent the Plateau
http://www.rvusa.com/rvdealers.asp?type=rental - need to specify some states here, but Class B's are available

I'm sure if you googled more or used yahoo search or other search engines, you can find some more possiblilties for renting what you would like. You may want to set your start and end place based on where the rental location is.

I just got a new 2006 PleasureWay Plateau and love it! Would recomment that you try one of those over other class B's. Look at this one and the Leisure Van Free Spirit. Since I live in it full time, I chose the Plateau as I and other opinions decided it was more practical for actually living in as opposed to occasional use for vacations. Since you'll be living in it for the duration of your trip, I'd suggest trying out this one if you wanted a class B.
If either of these doesn't suit your needs, none of the other class B's will. In that case, move up to a small Class C which seem to be easier to locate for renting.

Just my two cents.

Dear blsmith25
I ve also check the pleasure way
and I think that the Dodge Chassis with mercedes engine is suitable
I also try the renting companies but I am affraid their daily prices are higher than my budget something around 100usd per day
I will try to find a deal on 60-70 usd per night
thanks again for your comments
regards
macit

blsmith25 said:

Just my two cents.

Hi Macit,

I'm glad you're looking at all the possibilities. There's a lot to choose from and a lot of criteria to consider.
Be sure to physically see the units before making your decision. What looks good in the brochures doesn't always look good in person. And the "feel" of the unit could be completely different in person and a major deciding factor. A unit that looks simply gorgeous in the pictures could really feel claustrophobic in person. You want to know this before you book one.

Watch out for the sizes in the specs. The specs for two units the same can be different on different sites. Not huge, but I've seen mine advertised anywhere from 20-22' long. The king bed isn't exactly a king bed. It's somewhere between queen and king, so some sites say queen size and others say king size. Queen sheets fit just fine and are actually a bit loose. I think king sheets would be too big.
Look at storage and useability over cutsy things that are not necessary, but just thrown in there just for gimmicks. I see some in some of the pictures.
Your main thing is you're living in it, not vacationing in it. There is a difference, although hard to put in words. It's more of a mindset I think. You'll need to decide based upon what the models have, which is the best suited for your style of living.

Good luck in your hunt and let us know what you've decided upon or if you need more help in deciding. Perhaps once your vacation is over, or during it, you can give us a periodic review of the unit. What you like and don't like about it. I'm naturally curious and eager to see what you're going to choose since I have one and have gone through this already... :)

Keep us posted!  :D

Hi blsmith25
I want to thank you again for your valuable comments.I ve had the oportunity to work a little eith the configurations of the vehicles that you suggest
this is my observations
1-I think that The Sprinters look wonderful but it seems to me that they are a little big in lenght and may cause some troubles to me in crowded areas
they are 266'' and 264'' (included Dodge Plateau)
2-The classic ford of great west vans look also acceptable with 240'' and the model of KingbedFloorplan (KBF) looks attractive and maniable.
3-I like very much the Roadtrek vans specially 170-190-190 versatile looks great .But I have some concern about the shower facilities because I dont know really how it is to take a shower in the aisle of the vehicle.I would like to have a van with a separate shower area and I know that I cant ask for all at the same time

Conclusion
I will be happy to find a vehicle uo to 20'
I will be happy if it has a kingbed which I dont have to change the configuration in the day time
I will be happy if the vehicle has a separate shower area
and for the rest I cant figure out the differences of 12000BTU and other specs
3cu meter refrigerator etc ..as long as we are only two person I hope that we can manage to travel in
some acceptable level of comfort
thanks again for your comments and I am happy to share my opinions with the experts
all the best
regards
macit

Hi Carl
yes you are right it is feet not meter.Sorry for this but its always difficult to translate figures if you are from the metric side of the world
thanks for the correction
all the best
regards
macit

I will be happy if it has a kingbed which I dont have to change the configuration in the day time
I will be happy if the vehicle has a separate shower area

Those two items are going to be hard to find in a 20 foot van.  The beds almost have to be fold downs to permit any living space during dinner and breakfast.  Showers are almost all going to be combined with the toilet in the same compartment. 

However, if you go to a 22 foot Class-C motohome, the cabover bed frees up a lot of floor space and you have free and clear space for dining and a separate shower compartment.  Look at the Motorius ad again.  Also there are a lot more Class Cs around than Class B super vans, giving a bit more range in prices. 

hi Carl
thanks again for your comments.I ve check the configuraion of the Greatwest vans and the classic one has a table in the front of the vehicle and you dont need any special place in the back for dinner and breakfast.The shower problem still remains and I dont really understand how easy it is to take showers in the aisle of the vehicle
Do we have to clean again all the vehicle after the shower ?
I will check again the Moturis and the D21 look good with the only exception that it will be difficult to fins a parking place during the visits of the cities and crowded areas
I agree that the price condition look favorable in C classes
Thanks again for your contributions
all the best
regards
macit

Those two items are going to be hard to find in a 20 foot van.  The beds almost have to be fold downs to permit any living space during dinner and breakfast.  Showers are almost all going to be combined with the toilet in the same compartment. 

However, if you go to a 22 foot Class-C motohome, the cabover bed frees up a lot of floor space and you have free and clear space for dining and a separate shower compartment.  Look at the Motorius ad again.  Also there are a lot more Class Cs around than Class B super vans, giving a bit more range in prices. 

Bumping an old topic....

traveloturc said:
1. I am planning a trip for 4 months in USA+Canada...
2. We need to rent a B class van converted for 2 people....
3. Can you please help us where to rent (economically)....
4. What is the approximately daily rent price of a B class van converted vehicle?

4. Daily rentals are about $200/ day or more.
3. You can search "Rent a B-Class RV" or check the listed suggestions in the thread.
2. Yes a B-Class is small and better economy.
1.  A four month trip is $24,000 at $200.  If anyone offered a 75% discount that would be $6000.

So...
A good solution would be to buy a newer but used RV and the odds are very good that selling it at the end of the trip would be net you under $6000 in loss. 
I suggest the loss would be $3000.  That's $25 per day, a pretty fair deal.

Back
Top Bottom