1990 Coachmen Catalina Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynnromano

Hi...I am new here and new to RVing.  I am looking to RV full time by myself.

I am looking to purchase a 1990 Coachmen Catalina.  It is 26.5 feet.  It only has 32,000 miles on it.  I wanted to see if anyone else has this model and what they think of it.  I am having it inspected next week and it seems to be in good condition (clean and well taken care of on the surface). 

What if anything can you tell me, good or bad, about this motorhome?

Much appreciated...Lynn

I have the Catalina Sport in my sig.

It's not a top-of-the-line RV, but it serves the purpose well.

Mine had a leak at the bottom of the stovetop hood vent that resulted in some delamination. As built, the water from a decent rain would drain off the roof into the channel created by the awning when rolled up. When the water drained of the back of awning, it created a stream down the RV side that went down the rear portion of the hood vent and water would "flip" under the hood and into the wall through the seam where the two vent pieces came together. I should note that the stream was not quite garden hose strong, but was a considerable stream down the side of the RV. Check yours. Not sure if the designs are similar enough to cause the same on yours. I ended up replacing mine with a different design when the original one broke as I tried to disassemble it to see how bad the damage really was.

Electrical interface: I had a small electrical fire in the AC box and as far as I can figure, it was due to the power for the AC running through a mediocre crimp connection. Got some beautiful photos of burnt wire. It might be worth double checking yours. I'm not saying you have the same issue, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Aside from that, I've not had structural issues or anything that I would put on the manufacturing of the RV. I do have some bubbles in the roof, but you need to expect that sort of thing from an RV of our vintages. All my appliances work well, and I would suggest you get make/model numbers from yours and verify all safety recall work has been performed.

2001 and yes, original owner.

Mine's 11 years newer, but I wouldn't shy away from a decent RV because of age. Note the vintage of the tires. Nevermind the tread left, you should be looking at the age of the tires because they are prone to failure after 7 years. I did not prescribe to that thinking until I had one blow and take out the inner wheel well on the left rear. 2 more went within a month and I was sold on the fact that tires have an expiration date.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11 to determine the age of a tire.

What chassis is the one you're looking at, and what engine? a Coachmen model number wouldn't hurt either. I can snoop around a bit for you.

So far...
Norcold fridge had a recall based on model number. (Rubber seal prone to failure resulting in a fuel leak)
Some models were recalled for seatbelt "slack" and some for lack of sufficient washers (I assume near the mounting area where it bolts to the floor)
Some 1990 Coachmens were recalled because the windshield wiper switch was not illuminated (GM chassis)

Thank you for your replies.  The owner decided not to sell so I am back looking for a new home.

Back
Top Bottom