2.8M Door Handles Recalled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Excerpts from NHTSA press release and RV Business magaqzine...

Fastec, a maker of recreational vehicle door handles, has issued a recall for 2.86 million vehicle door latches, a federal agency said Wednesday (Aug. 7).

National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) said on its website that Fastec Industrial Corp. handles were installed on RV?s from January 2006 to April 2013. The recalled handles have ?deadbolts that could jam, making it impossible to exit the vehicle,? NHTSA said. The agency further said it may be possible to remove the key from the handle?s lock in a way that potentially jams the deadbolt in locks with certain key codes.

Fastec will notify the original door and vehicle makers, and consumers of record, to instruct them on how to determine whether they have a defective lock.  The recall is expected to begin Sept. 10. Owners can also contact Fastec at 1-800-837-2505.

I don't know if mine is one on this recall but I need to find out. A couple weeks ago I had a difficult time getting my door open after I unlocked it from the outside. I opened the front door and entered the MH from there and still had some difficulty opening the door from the inside but after about a minute jerking the door it finally opened. I haven't had the problem since then.

Thanks for the heads up Gary.

This explains alot. Quite a few times I would lock the trailer dead bolt from the outside with the key, then play hell trying to get the dead bolt to open. To the point of almost bending/breaking the key. Sometimes it works smooth as silk. Am always afraid that one time I would lock it from the inside and not be able to get out. I was about the replace the whole thing myself. Will have to check into this. Thanks for the info.

Here's a thought.  Do NOT use the deadbolt until you are sure yours is okay because if you get locked out your only recourse may be to break a window to get back into the coach.

Also, I know of a case with a Monaco coach where the door lock jammed and the only way to get the door open was to use a pry bar and then repair the damage to the coach.  In this case even breaking a window would not give the service techs access to the inside of the door to fix the jammed lock.

JerryF

Hello Papergirl 16 again, was reading this thread and not sure if this is what happened to us recently or not, we also use the deadbolt when we leave, and it unlocked fine, but the door handle outside was getting more and more difficult to open and then wouldn't you know I pulled it and something snapped inside and we were locked out, found a fellow who did a temp. fix and installed a spring and it works ok but still sticks, so ordered a new handle today and am waiting to see if it fixes the problem or not, it doesn't sound like the recall was for the black door handled that you pull..thanks tho.

The recall letter can be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site. It explains how folks get locked out and how to identify if your lock/latch is included in the recall. The problem, as stated, is that affected lock cylinders can allow the key to be removed while in the locked position.

FWIW this 2-in-1 lock is quite different from the two separate locks (deadbolt and locking latch) on our coach.

The Fastec recall notice is addressed to Travel Trailer owners.  So perhaps this product is not used in motorhomes??

ArdraF

I just looked at a travel trailer, and it had that same 2-for-1 lock.

Tri-mark it's the snap bolt that can break and lock you in.. Seems you can't win for closing the door. :)

Don't ask how I know.. (OK I'll tell you.. I got to test my Emergency exit, then I 'Picked' the latch (not the lock, the latch) and then I replaced the )@(#$*)@!#($*@)( THING )

Back
Top Bottom