Wet and Forget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DoubleDee

I've read a lot about cleaning epdm roofs and treating them but wonder about this product.  Has anyone used it?  My first ever mh lives outside and the once clean roof now is spotted with mildew and the caulk is dry and cracking.  One heck of a rainy summer here in the sunny land of humidity.  Time to do some work and this sounds promising but am afraid to use it without hearing from experienced rvers.  http://wetandforget.com/

I doubt if it will do anything for the caulk, but it might help with the mold and mildew. I see no reason not to try it, though. Personally, I just wash with a regular heavy duty detergent, e.g. Simple Green, plus bleach. Works fine, and no worries about harming the roof.

Caulking is another matter. Surface cracking in caulk is a normal affair as it dries in the sun, but you need to keep an eye out for deeper cracks or any "lifting" of the caulk from the roof surface. If in doubt, touch it up with some fresh caulk after cleaning with a rag dampened in mineral spirits. Pre-washing with Wet & Forget might make it easier to see what needs attention, though.

As far as washing, Dicor used to recommend Spic 'n Span until they got their own cleaner product.  I still use the Spic 'n Span as it is available at the Dollar Tree for $1. Works quite well.  Medium bristle long handled brush and loads of water to rinse.  I've used the protectant some years and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks for the replies.  I am concerned about some cracking caulk and wondered if I should remove all and redo or go over.  No leaks yet and don't want any so will get on it.  Forgot about spic n span, will pick that up and use it.  As for the mineral spirits cleaning before recaulking, I bought a quart recently at Lowe's and was shocked that what used to be dirt cheap cost over $8!

My understanding about the caulk is that if it is at all loose, remove it.  Solid and it can stay. 

COMer said:
As far as washing, Dicor used to recommend Spic 'n Span until they got their own cleaner product.  I still use the Spic 'n Span as it is available at the Dollar Tree for $1. Works quite well.  Medium bristle long handled brush and loads of water to rinse.  I've used the protectant some years and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

The brush I use is a "Van Wash" brush, this is a flow through brush with a telescoping handle for washing the roof of a van.. I don't use the flow through, use a bucket.... A Window Washer's brush woudl work as well and also has a full length (Mop length) handle, Fuller brush sells a good one of those.

Like the quote above.. I rinse with lots of water (Garden hose)

I have used the product on vinyl siding on our home. Works great on green algae! Just mix with six parts water and spray on with pump garden sprayer. After a few day the algae disappears and we haven't had a recurrence in six months.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I doubt if it will do anything for the caulk, but it might help with the mold and mildew. I see no reason not to try it, though. Personally, I just wash with a regular heavy duty detergent, e.g. Simple Green, plus bleach. Works fine, and no worries about harming the roof.

Caulking is another matter. Surface cracking in caulk is a normal affair as it dries in the sun, but you need to keep an eye out for deeper cracks or any "lifting" of the caulk from the roof surface. If in doubt, touch it up with some fresh caulk after cleaning with a rag dampened in mineral spirits. Pre-washing with Wet & Forget might make it easier to see what needs attention, though.

Just purchased a 1996 Four Winds and am in the process of washing the outside.  Noticed the roof caulking is cracked and 'lifting'.  So, I assume I need to remove as much as possible and recaulk?  What type of caulking should I use?    Thanks!

On a horizontal surface, use Dicor self-leveling. Chances are that is what you already have on there.... Cracking is normal as long as it is not right through, lifting means removal will be necessary with a good cleaning underneath or the new stuff will have a problem sticking properly too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom