which ladder for Class A motorhome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jomarex

I was about to buy one of those nifty ladders that fold up into a little square pole, then saw an extension ladder that would go from stepladder to straight extension ladder, and folds down to a little square. So now I'm all in a dither.

An RV-park-neighbor had a 5th wheel that was as tall as my class A, and he was happy with a 4-foot folding stepladder. Sounds like I might occasionally really, really want something taller, while full-timing? I'm not all that short, at 5'7", but it's hard to imagine why I might need to get closer to the top of the side of the MH... Have extending poles for washing.

Joy

I'm a newbie, but my 2 cents are:
- Falling off a ladder is a very good way to ruin your day and maybe much worse including broken bones, long recovery times, etc.
- A long sturdy ladder is nice so you don't have to stretch or stand on the top non-step, etc. but I know they can take up space.
- Seeing the top of your rig to check for signs the sun is beating up your weather proofing is nice, but if you don't have a long ladder for those rare occasions, a neighbor might.
- I'm a big fan of my convertible ladder.
Have you considered something that can be a step ladder or straight ladder?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-13-ft-Aluminum-Telescoping-Multi-Ladder-with-300-lb-Load-Capacity-Type-IA-Duty-Rating-MT-13/100658842

- Falling off a ladder is a very good way to ruin your day and maybe much worse including broken bones, long recovery times, etc.

Absolutely!  My broken elbow was three surgeries, months of physical therapy, but 99 percent recovery.  I can't stress enough the importance of having a ladder that provides a stable platform.  There are times when you need a ladder.  An example is when an awning was hit and we had to cut it off to keep driving.  Jerry went up the rear attached ladder and was on the roof while I was on the foldup ladder.  It took both of us to get the darned thing off and we couldn't have done it without a ladder.  You also may need to check something on the roof or along it's edge that isn't conducive to being on the roof.

A long sturdy ladder is nice so you don't have to stretch or stand on the top non-step, etc.

Again, absolutely!  Follow the ladder manufacture's directions pertaining to the "real" top step to use and watch specified weight limits.

ArdraF

Edit: Fixed quote.

I use one of those nifty ladders that collapse into a small square pole. Mine is seven feet and double sided. Works great, is light, and easy to store. As a bonus it is quite stable as well. You will need the seven foot version if you want to reach the very top of the windshield and not be on the second from the top step.

I have the 13' ladder that Mentalarson posted the site of. It allows me to wash, dry, wax the sides of the rig as well as get on top when there is a reason like washing or other routine needs. Sometimes the reason is something you'd never plan for ahead of time, like when a bird craps on the shower skylight and there's no rain in the forecast. The better half explained gently that it had to be cleaned off and I was able to get on the roof to do it.

I'm not afraid of heights and until 3 years ago routinely climbed a 110' foot ladder with 70 or more pounds of gear and equipment to go to work on roofs with fires burning underneath them. Your ladder climbing needs may be the same or different.........

Ken

I am 6'5" and 300+  a great ladder is a must.  If you are going to spend $100+ for a cheap low wt maximum ladder.  Spend a few bucks more and get the best.

http://www.littlegiantladder.com/little-giant/type-1a.html          1200 lb capacity. 

I have had a 26' one for years and it is well worth the money.  Much cheaper than a trip to the emergency room.

Selah said:
I use one of those nifty ladders that collapse into a small square pole. Mine is seven feet and double sided. Works great, is light, and easy to store. As a bonus it is quite stable as well. You will need the seven foot version if you want to reach the very top of the windshield and not be on the second from the top step.

Guess there must be a difference in brands. I have one of these (also seven ft double sided) and it is flimsy, unstable, rungs are uncomfortable to stand on and just not suitable for anything except short duration tasks sitting on absolutely flat, stable ground, or with a spotter to help stabilize. I keep it only because I rarely need a ladder and really do not have anywhere to store a good one except hanging from the motorhome ladder and I do not wish to do that. All I can say is try before you buy to make sure you are comfortable.

My 38' HR MH has a two part ladder on the rear to access the roof. The lower half stows elsewhere to keep other from climbing up it. I stow my up front behind the access door to the front end and genset.

I have a two foot step ladder. With it I can reach all but the upper four or so inches of the windshield to clean away the bugs. I don't care about the tinted area at the top of the windshield, besides one should be watching the road not the sky while driving.  ;)

If I need to access something just below the drip line on the upper sides of the MH, climb up the rear ladder and reach it while laying prone on the roof.

So many strap a step ladder to their rigs whether on the factory installed ladder or on their rear bumper or whatever else they can find to tie it to. See so many busted along side the roads too, that fell off the back or top of vehicles they were once "Securely" fastened to.

I might upgrade to a four footer...but only if I have a secure internal space to stow it away while traveling.

ImagesByHawkeye - how tall are you? :D

Somehow, I ended up getting the telescoping 12.5' ladder from Amazon. Just had to make a decision for something that folded down smaller than the stepladder I used around the house, and that's what popped up under my fingers. It fits fine in the basement compartment.

So far, so good... though sometimes I have to put my foot on one rung and yank hard for the higher rung to lock in...

Back
Top Bottom