2 trailer towing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tundra49

I am going to go to the lower 48 for the winter from AK. and would like to know about towing a boat behind 5th wheel.

I know in many States it is not allowed, but you will have to check each state you intend to visit and see if it is allowed.

Not quite sure where you would do that other than DMV....I seem to recall it being discussed here on this forum so maybe a search for tandem towing will get you some information.

Jim

East coast states do not allow but many west coast ones do.  It is something that is on the books and sometimes the cops have the time to deal with and sometimes not. 

But it's not that it is illegal, it's that it requires a special commercial license which most drivers would not have. 

The US southeastern states seem to turn a blind eye towards recreational towing of multiple trailers. I see it all the time near the big lakes in GA and SC, with a fishing boat behind a TT or 5W. Online information on this subject is suspect, since some towing advice sites say that GA, for example, does not allow double/triple towing, yet reports of actual inquiries to the GA DMV say there is no such prohibition. Other sites make no mention of a double towing restriction  in GA and only give an overall length max (60 ft).

I think this is the easiest listing of all state's laws on towing and it does show that GA does not allow triples.  http://towingworld.com/towinglawsbystate.cfm?state2=GA

Maybe it just isn't a priority or maybe the person from the DMV didn't understand the question.

This is the rest of the list and it seems as good as any.  http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

That site is very easy to use and seems to be comprehensive, but it's also the one that seems to have conflicts with other sources. I don't know which sources are correct, so I merely suggest taking them all with several grains of salt.

That said, I too would use that site for general info, since it seems to provide the most detail on each states laws.

Have any of you actually done it?  We're going to head South this Winter and I want to bring my motorcycle with us and I'm in a dilemma of what to do.  The choice is to either tow it or put a lift on the back of the fifth wheel.  I read some FAQ's from a manufacturer of a motorcycle lift and they said they didn't recommend installing one on a fifth wheel because adding that much weight to the back will throw off the proper weight distribution.  Pulling a second trailer seems like the way to go but pulling a second trailer seems to me (new to pulling one trailer) like it will be introducing all kinds of other problems.  Any thoughts?

Mitch

2008 F350
2012 30' Coachman Brookstone
Home Base, Barrie, ON Canada

Go Navy!

Carson, other than the autostart video, which I really hate, the site is safe enough.

This morning the video and audio won't even load, but the animated GIF does which is almost as annoying.

towing doubles is legal in Ca as long as the total combo vehicle length does not exceed 65'.

but there is several drivers license technicalities that can come into play,

1. towing a travel trailer that exceeds 10k lbs or a 5th wheel that exceeds 15k lbs requires a  class A  non commercial drivers license.

2. towing doubles requires a class A CDL (commercial drivers license) and the first trailer has to be a 5th wheel.

Back
Top Bottom