rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Qualified as 'towable'?  (Read 1288 times)

tejasemser

Qualified as 'towable'?
« on: August 14, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
Good evening everyone.  Just a 'lurker' at present, but wonder if anyone is flat-towing a Prius or Honda Civic Hybrid.  I have discovered that my '09 Acura MDX is not towable.  Thanks in advance.

JGP

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Qualified as 'towable'?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:45:19 AM »
Toyota does not approve towing of any of its models, and, since early 2006, Honda approves only the CRV and FIT models. That doesn't necessarily mean they cannot be towed successfully, but it does mean the factory warranty won't cover any possible transmission issues.  But if you were going to take that risk, you may as well tow the MDX.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:08:56 AM »
The Prius is most definitely NOT flat-towable or even dolly towable.  Most front-wheel drive cars that aren't flat towable can be towed with the front wheels on a dolly.  My understanding is that the Prius must be on a trailer.  I believe it has something to do with the regenerative braking system, but don't quote me on that.  I've never checked into the Civic Hybrid, but would guess that the same would be true.

I currently tow a 2002 Honda Accord automatic, which works great, as long as you follow the specific instructions for preparation to tow (start car, shift from Park into Drive (not Reverse) then Neutral, then turn engine off and leave in neutral).  As Gary said, Honda changed their recommendations in the mid 2000s, so that only some of their vehicles are recommended for flat towing.  My understanding (I may be wrong) is that in some cases the transmission did not actually change between the model years, but Honda just quit saying they could be towed, presumably to prevent possible liability. 
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

tejasemser

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 01:50:05 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the replies.  There's a lot I need to be learning and some hard decisions to be made in the next six months.  It's a pleasure to be in a position to feel comfortable asking what must seem like inane questions to most of you.  Thanks again.

JGP

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »
My understanding (I may be wrong) is that in some cases the transmission did not actually change between the model years, but Honda just quit saying they could be towed, presumably to prevent possible liability.

We have a 2004 MDX with AWD.  They changed about 2005 and we were told the transmission did not change then, however it changed later and none of the newer MDXs are towable four down - the primary reason we still have our old one.  For those who like moderate four-wheeling, they've also done away with the VTM-4 dashboard switch that allows locking of all four wheels.  I guess Honda decided the RVing and offroad markets weren't worth their effort.

ArdraF

ArdraF
:D :D