Considering buying a 1996 Vectra Grand Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

railreferman

Well here we go . I am finally in a position to by a motorhome my wife and I have found one it is a 96 Winnebago grand touring vectors 34 foot. we have not purchased it yet but we both really like and I am having a difficult time finding pro's and con's or really any info on this model on the internet. my questions are ; any one own one how do you like it are there any particular areas of the unit a guy should really look at. what if any issues with the gas engine or tranny. just basically what is everyone's opinion on these units. like i said it is a 96 Winnebago grand touring vectors 34 foot 43,000 miles. I really appreciate any input or direction

Edit by John - made subject more descriptive

Welcome to The RV Forum. I moved your message here so it might get a better chance of being seen by Winnebago owners.
Edit: Fixed typo.

....are there any particular areas of the unit a guy should really look at.

There are some general buyers checklists in the library above that may be helpful, especially to someone with little experience in researching these things....

34 Q going to look it over on Tuesday. ford chassis .my concern is that I am unable to find any negative comments or feedback such as this motor had this problem or this model always seem to leak here or anything like that . going in somewhat blind, I am mechanically inclined and it seems that here in Alaska to take it to someone they just do the interior 'i.e' make sure the lights and appliances work nothing mechanically . I am taking it to a camper repair facility they said they would look it over as far as leaks. I really wish I could find some kind of bashing gives me something to look for.

Have you tried some of the truck forums?? These are trucks, after all!!

1996 Ford chassis bashing!

1. Right side exhaust manifold (Rear studs) tend to break if over tightened (12-15ft lb. max) No gasket is used! They tend to leak and with the high temps may warp.

2. Brakes, MUST lube the caliper pins occasionally or they will lock up and burn up.

3. Front suspension can be touchy. When set up properly can be great but can benefit from: Hard pan rod (rear) HD sway bar bushings, Air Bags, Steering Stabilizer.

In all they are good. You can search "Ford Manifold" or "Ford Brakes" etc. using the button in the seach bar above and will find lots of info.

Steve

That model Vectra was top of the line Winnebago so will be loaded with extras that were available for that year.  Engine was plenty tough but was a gas guzzler and like said notoriously hard on manifolds.  Lots of owners went to headers to fix them. Had a straight front axle so had a harsher ride than the Chev. I don't ever recall a Chevy engine in the Vectra, probably never paid attention. For a non slide model fairly liveable.

Some things that need to be checked and replaced, most important, tires, if older than 7 years and some say 5 years they must be replaced. The in line gas filter requires a special tool and the in tank fuel pump has been a problem for some, usually because the fuel level was allowed to get low so it was exposed and lost the cooling effect of the gas. Tires were 16 inch rather than the 19 inch on the Chevy chassis, problem, I don't know. I would also make an uneducated guess that anything made of rubber is or will be deteriorating.

I would also venture an educated guess that the greater majority of your questions can be answered right here.

Don G. WIT 70041

Most of the problems are going to age related, not vehicle specific. As mentioned , this was top of the line and Winnebago was building quality motor homes. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but I consider 100,000 miles, just broken in.

Hey thanks for the info this forum site is very useful I apologize for not getting back sooner, life just happens motorhome winterized and now i am thinking of upgrading the entertainment system . captsteve thanks for the ford bashing that is exactly what i am looking for  trying to find the issues and deal with them now.

I just found this thread and I'm grateful for the information.  I purchased a 1994 Ford chassis Winnebago Vectra 34RA in July, my first motorhome and my full-time home.  I love it.

When shopping I looked at a couple of other Vectras and there seem to be some common cosmetic issues such as the carpet fades unevenly, but after all 20 years should be replaced by now!  The headliner on some of them seem to sag though mine is perfect. No leaks either and none of the others I looked at had ever leaked.  When I first entered the floor seem to creak down through the center but apparently it just feels soft from the ductwork running underneath not rot. and again is a common trait in this model from what I have been able to gather.

I love the floor plan.  It's roomy even with with no slides.  The side bathroom is huge compared to almost any other make and model I looked at.  And the bath has two doors so if I have overnight guests on the sofa bed we can each access the bathroom from our respective sleeping area.  The cabinetry, wood floor and lighted china closet are excellent residential quality, as is the upholstery fabric though that is showing its age.  The floorplan is so livable that I will likely reupholster rather than trade in this vehicle. 

All I can say about the mechanics is I've had no problems.  I am a grandmother traveling alone with my 2 dogs, so I have been very grateful for the dependability.  I had the brake lines bled and new fluids.  I need a couple front tires and would like to replace the batteries.  I put 4000 miles on since July. 
My Vectra is a keeper.

Sounds like you really like your motor home. For a single person a motor home without slides works out nicely. You never have to worry about slide out problems and you probably have more than enough room. Makes it easier to heat and cool also. We have used our 1999 Brave with just my wife and I quite a bit without putting out the slide. If you would have been buying it new it would have been top of the line, so even now it is a top of the line motor home.

Thanks guys
I forgot to mention she has just under 92k miles on her, so I am sure glad to have found this forum to help with issues as they are bound to arise eventually. 

John
I did replace my inverter. I guess the only real mechanical issue was the alternator belt what a pain but it was also 10 below 0 which made it more of a pain. all in all i really am happy with it floor plan, my next trip we are going to the start of the iron dog . I am now looking for info on upgrading the electronics e.g. tv stereo dvd etc.

Awesome! It's great to hear "Happy" posts once in a while!

Glad you are enjoying her, now go run the wheels off of her! ;D ;D ;D

Encouraging write-ups as I'm also looking for our first RV, and just started checking into a 1998 Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour Series M-34WQ with the Chevy.  Anyone with experience in them?

BTW, loved the post from Themothership, as my wife (who's an excellent driver and even captained boats) tends to be intimidated by big machinery and I'd rather not do 100% of the driving.

Back
Top Bottom