How to best lock trailer hitch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donuts

Since we just purchased a new tent trailer and it will be stored outside, what is the best way to secure my trailer hitch so someone can't just hook it up to their truck and take off? I will have it covered when not in use.

Locks are for honest people. If someone really wants it they will take it. I use a simple padlock thru the ball latch (built for this) the lock I use is bullet proof and it is not easy to cut. I also keep the trailer behind a fence out of sight. so far so good (4 plus years)

I have heard of others putting a chain thru the rims and or taking the wheels right off to slow the would be crooks down. seems too extreme to me. Insure the trailer and let em have it.

I'm sure it happens but I haven't seen anything much about trailer thefts over the past 6-7 years on this forum. 

Many years ago a friend took his family on a horse drawn caravan vacation in Ireland. You hook up the horse, the horse pulls the wagon along a country road and, when you've had enough traveling for the day, you pull onto a field, unhook the horse, and settle in for the night. One morning, while out catching the horse, he talked to another "camper"; The guy complained that the wagon moved every so often during the night, and he didn't get any sleep. The guy didn't realize he had to unhitch the horse, and the animal kept moving to another spot to graze  ::)

At least nobody tried to steal his caravan aka trailer  ;D

;D That is funny, if my truck did that I would be really worried. A coupler lock or a padlock through the lock pin hole will deter most thieves but if they want it badly enough they will get it. Secure it the best you can and have adequate theft insurance. Ours has not disappeared yet but the sumbees did cut the truck electrical cable the night before we were due to leave. :mad: Delayed our departure by a couple of hours, had to wait for the rv dealer to open so I could purchase materials.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom