Winter trailers? Advice discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacquelinejacks

Hello I need some advice on e best rv for winter living ex: British  Columbia/ Montana weather

I'm still deciding on weather to buy a C class for this or a 5 wheeler. I hear rvs with fibreglass roofs are best
But behind that is their any makes that can be purchased winterized? Or MUST one winterized their own with a skirt, heaters etc. also I think it would be important to have double pane windows. Do any dealers pre sell double pane windows?

Any advise is appreciated  8)

The really simple answer to your question is.... NONE. Trailers and RV's, for the most part, are not built for cold. Some (few) are better insulated and are equipped with double pane windows or other so-called 'winter packages' like the Arctic Fox trailers or they can be ordered new with these things but....

All will require blocking off the undersides (skirting) to stop winds, they will require heated tanks and heating the area where waterlines pass and a heated hose to the water hookup. They will cost a LOT to heat and may require you to rent a 100 gal tank from a local propane supplier. ( A 30 lb tank like mine, and many other trailers, might last 2-3 days at most in cold weather where heating is required overnight and from time to time during the day.) RV furnaces are propane hungry and 12V hungry as well, you need to be plugged in at the least. I think these conditions will apply to all of Canada, the northern-most western states and all the eastern states.

Many, if not most, campsites close because they cannot provide water and sewage in cold climates. If you are serious about living in a trailer during the winter, you would be much better to consider a "park model" trailer (no tanks) and parked in a trailer park that stays open all year.

This same information above applies to most Class C and Class A rigs as well.

Thanks, we don't want a park model  :p

I'm talking British Columbia winters -25 max... Thank you for the advise though  :)

I guess double pane windows is most important, a skirt and heaters. Still researching this topic.

Anyone else out their live year round in four seasons??

JacquelineJacks,

Have you checked out the library by clicking the button above and doing some searching?  We have lots of articles on many of the subjects your are researching, including camping in the winter.

Most trailers are built for occasional seasonal use, not full-timing, or winter use.  They have thin walls, single paned windows and very little insulation and often lower grade furniture which takes a beating with heavy use.  Even the higher end $$$ Class A coaches aren't much better in retaining heat.  However, they often have the dual paned windows and heated underbays which helps to retain heat and makes it a little easier to camp in colder weather.

As others have said, RVs aren't made for winter camping.....that's why there are so many "snowbirds".... ;D

Marsha~

Thanks all & Marsha i will look into the forum more and not ask so many silly ?  :)

thanks for the directions  ;D

Hi Jacqueline, Oh gosh, that's not what I intended.  It's just that there is a wealth of information that you can print out and refer to; kinda begin a file sort of idea. 

There are things about: how to check on the age of tires, how to maintain batteries, how to winterize, how to camp in the winter and a great precheck list for purchasing your first RV.  Choosing between a diesel or a gas engine RV.  How to calculate weight for sizes of trucks and trailers.  Lots of data.

Keep researching....you'll get what you want and what you need in the long run.

Marsha~

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom