Dog in the back of the truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd0408

Hello everyone,
So I'm looking to buy my first truck and I'm not sure what to do about my 75lb. lab. In the past we made room for him in the back of our trailblazer. With a truck we won't have this option. I live in San Antonio, TX so it's 100+ all summer long. Can I put him in the back of the truck, secured in a wire crate, with a top on the truck for shade without killing him? I'd think there would be plenty of wind swirling around back there to keep him cool as long as he was never in direct sunlight. Anyway, let me know what you think.

As the owner of an 75-80 LB Australian Sheppard I have a cover over my back seat and he sits in the truck with us.  When in the camper he stays in his crate but with the AC on.  I also live in Texas and I would not put my dog in the back of the truck if I couldn't stand to ride back there. 

Just my opinion but I also think my dog is my child.  He is a little boy in a fur suit...lol

Actually, if you gave me a comfortable seat i wouldn't mind riding in the back of the truck.
Seriously though, I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree. However, he loves to be outside all day in the sun. Shouldn't  a moving vehicle be cooler?

Please keep him wherever you are as that is the most comfortable and happiest place.  If you need AC he does, too.

How about a climate controlled crate? I've seen some of those starting to come out now. He loves to travel and I'd hate to have to leave him in a kennel for 2-3 weeks.

I feel your heart is in the right place but dogs are like extensions of us when there is a true friendship. Can you make room up front?

One of my fondest memories is of a stray I had for 16 years. I had a delivery business and I was out until around 1 AM every night. He sat in the truck as copilot  and around 10 we had our McDonalds fix; we'd pull through where I'd buy him a single burger and my coffee. That was his 'pay' for taking care of me. He loved it, although being a large chow mix he scared the bejeesies of the worker in the window. They want to take care of you.

Let me put it this way.. Would YOU want to be in the back of the truck, in a white crate, with the lid on?

I can tell you how I'd feel about that... But you might not survive the telling.

Same answer for the dog.. Treat the Dog as you would your child.

Absolutely not for reasons already given and goes beyond cruel.  Does your pick-up have an extended, crew or quad cab?  If so your dog could ride back there.  I have a quad cab and our 115 lb Akita goes everywhere with us.  I fold the rear seat up and he has a nice comfy platform.

John said it best.....treat the dog as your child.

Also remember that truck is a hunk of burning hot metal and the motor, tranny and rear end all giving off heat....so it's not the same as him being out side at home.  Use your temp gun and take a reading of the bed of your truck (in the shade, of course) the next time it's 100F out and you've been driving for awhile.  It's going to be much hotter than you're thinking.

Todd0408 said:
Hello everyone,
So I'm looking to buy my first truck and I'm not sure what to do about my 75lb. lab. In the past we made room for him in the back of our trailblazer. With a truck we won't have this option. I live in San Antonio, TX so it's 100+ all summer long. Can I put him in the back of the truck, secured in a wire crate, with a top on the truck for shade without killing him? I'd think there would be plenty of wind swirling around back there to keep him cool as long as he was never in direct sunlight. Anyway, let me know what you think.

You have yet to buy the truck?  Just one dog?  No problemo!  The market is full of crew cab and extended cab rigs.  Ensconce the mutt in the back wearing a safety harness clipped to a seat belt and everybody is safe, happy, and air-conditioned.

Another point about NOT allowing the dog in the back of the truck, is the same reason you should not allow your dog to stick his head out of the window as the car is moving.  There are many incidents of dogs getting debris into their eyes this way.  This is why motorcycle riders wear goggles.

My Shih Tzu sits on the fold down console in between the wife and I .....its high enough so she can see out....she demands that.....She has her bed in the back seat if she needs to lay down for a nap....No, she isnt spoiled.....lol

Agree with Carl!  Get a crew cab truck.  The back seat in mine folds up so there  is a near flat floor that woud do well for a Lab.

Crew cab is the way to go!  Labs love to be as near to you as they can get.  They reward you with their loyalty and dedication to your safety.  The mildest mannered Lab will defend you to the death if you or your property are threatened but be absolutely safe around children.

Our next door neighbor had a wonderful dog that used to go running every morning with Jerry.  He followed commands and was just great to have around.  One weekend the neighbor went camping near Clear Lake CA and had an accident.  The dog was in the back of the truck, got spooked and ran away.  The poor fellow was beside himself - went up there every weekend for a long time looking for him, but never found him.  If he didn't get hit by a car, someone probably got themselves a wonderful new furry kid.  Take the dog in the cab with you or don't take him at all.

ArdraF

Take a look here : http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,40803.msg381459.html#msg381459

On how we made a bed in the rear seat area of Crew cab. Your dog will love it.

:eek: PLEASE don't do that to your dog. It's not safe, from debris to weather, to potentially having the crate fly out onto the freeway, it's not worth the risk. Either put him up front with you, or find a reliable dog-sitter when you travel.

Back
Top Bottom