Dog in the back of the truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many of us refer to our dogs and  cats as "Fur Kids".. And to be honest, treat them better than the real human kinds in many familes (not RVers but others).

In many states, and for good reason, if you let your kids (human) ride in the back of the truck you can find yourself in jail or even sans kids as Child Protective Services comes calling with a warrant to take them away and that's no ha ha.

Dogs should be treated likewise. You put it in the back, ASPCA should come and take him away.

When my traveling buddy was alive, he always rode in the cab - however, he only weighed about 9 pounds, and was a cat. However, I would say that if the temps outside are OK, your dog may be OK back there -- and may prefer that ride. I personally wouldn't do it because of the eyes and ears problems that might happen.

While in Texas a few years back installing my SW in an RV park under construction I met Roscoe and Maggie. Roscoe was a herding dog and Maggie was a cow. She was saved from death when her Mom died because the kids talked their dad into raising here with Roscoe in the home garage. The full story can be found in the cover of this album of mine. Just hover under the album (set) title.

Anyway, Roscoe's owner talked to him just as he would with any human - and Roscoe complied with whatever he was told to do. One thing was when it was time to go - such as the nights his owner and I went out to dinner. Roscoe always traveled in his carrier in the pickup truck bed. And preferred that over the cab. His owner would say, "let's go, Roscoe" - and he would jump into the truck, then into the carrier. While at dinner, he slept on his blanket among his toys.

He and his owner were as close as any I've seen with their pet - and explained that any kind of bad weather, such as rain, or hot and cold, would mean Roscoe would ride in the cab. He preferred the carrier, but would always do as told.

But I've described an unusual case - so would imagine most dogs would want the cab ride regardless.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bob-bluecanon/sets/72157618325869039/

DakotaRed said:
Another point about NOT allowing the dog in the back of the truck, is the same reason you should not allow your dog to stick his head out of the window as the car is moving.  There are many incidents of dogs getting debris into their eyes this way.  This is why motorcycle riders wear goggles.

Dogs are motorcycle riders also.....and that's why they make Doggels.  Different sizes for different size dogs....different colors for different dog sex.  http://www.doggoggles.com/?gclid=CIyPjM7RoboCFaY9QgodVW8AnA

The pet carrier is made by Kuryakn for dogs.  But I'd get an extended cab truck and put the big ol' boy in the back seat.  I've had several large dogs (friends dogs) in the back seat of my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_3836.JPG
    IMG_3836.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 27
To the person who said "The dog should be ok in the back"

I have read story after story where someone had their child in the back.. usually a teen or near teen. and hit a bump. The child landed on the ground head first and 3 days later they celebrated a funeral.

A dog, in this context, is no different from the human child. Hit a bump wrong and by by fido.

THIS is but one of the reasons many states have laws against children in the back. It is a safety issue.

What's worse.

Imagine you hit that bump. the dog flies out.  The guy behind you stands on the brakes with both feet and as his vehicle rolls over (killing him) The one behind him slamms into his vehicle and ..Well it goes on for there like dominoes.

No, NO LIVING CREATURES OF ANY KIND IN THE BED OF THE TRUCK.

Fact: Years ago I broke my wrist (Right) and while I was in the doctor's office a man came in in a neck brace.. now he was a county roads worker shovelilng salt out of the back of the truck onto the road.. A bump and a bit of breeze and it was a very good thing he was salting in front of the hospital at the time.. HE broke his neck.. Hospital saved his life.

Think about this.. NO LIVING CREATURES IN BACK OF TRUCK!!!!!!

My advice is to get a king or extra cab truck.  We bought a F-250 Diesel Xtra Cab specifically so we could tow a 5th wheel and our Aussie has the whole back bench to himself. 
Dogs want to be with their people.  We like it that way. 
I can't imagine driving down a highway with my dog in a carrier in the bed of the truck.  Beside the heat; what about cold temps?  No way. 

As a point of perspective since several have responded suggesting a crew cab, I have a quad cab on my Ram truck and it is plenty big enough for my 111 pound Akita.  Whichever cab is chosen, the dog must ride in the truck cab. 

I have a lab and a pick up truck and also live where we see triple digit heat all summer long. There is no way a lab can take that heat.  A lab, poodle, whatever the breed , should be in an air-conditioned enviroment in that type of heat.

We have a Chevy extra cab truck. My husband took out the back seat and made a bed for our fur kids. Plywood with foam and carpet over it. It's actually sits up a bit so they can see out the window. We have two labs. One is 110 pounds and the other is 65 pounds. They fit great: can lay down or sit up with no issue. Happy back there for hours.

Todd0408 said:
I live in San Antonio, TX so it's 100+ all summer long. Can I put him in the back of the truck, secured in a wire crate, with a top on the truck for shade without killing him?

Sure, if you want your dog to die. And possible be arrested.

Todd0408 said:
So I'm looking to buy my first truck and I'm not sure what to do about my 75lb. lab. In the past we made room for him in the back of our trailblazer. With a truck we won't have this option. I live in San Antonio, TX so it's 100+ all summer long. Can I put him in the back of the truck, secured in a wire crate, with a top on the truck for shade without killing him? I'd think there would be plenty of wind swirling around back there to keep him cool as long as he was never in direct sunlight. Anyway, let me know what you think.

The short answer is, NO, NOT ON YOUR LIFE.  NO ANIMALS, THAT DEPEND ON YOU FOR THEIR WELFARE, IN THE BACK OF THE VEHICLE IN TEXAS HEAT.  NO WAY.

I won't pull any punches.  I own a dog, and I wouldn't even think about subjecting him to conditions I don't want to be in.  That's it.  It's not about "there's no room", or "I have no option".  I simply WILL NOT subject my precious dog to uncomfortable situations.  Doing so would be callous and insensitive to his needs, and that's not the kind of person I am.  I'm not into animal cruelty.

Trying to rationalize it by saying "there would be plenty of wind swirling around" is nonsense.  All that wind "swirling wind" is HOT WIND, 100+ degree wind.  People get evaporative cooling from their sweat when they're hot, but DOGS DON'T SWEAT, so it doesn't happen for them.  They just get hot.  Be aware of that fact, and take care of your pets.  They depend on you for their welfare.

FWIW, in Texas, its state law to have any pet in the back of a truck secured with a leash short enough to prevent the dog from jumping out of the truck bed.

Children under 16 are not permitted to ride in the back of a truck. Ever

Employees under 18 are not permitted to ride in the back of a truck.

Houston Remodeler said:
Children under 16 are not permitted to ride in the back of a truck. Ever
Employees under 18 are not permitted to ride in the back of a truck.

How can anyone ride in the back of a truck with seat belt laws?

HappyWanderer said:
Just think, we now have a whole generation that has never riden in the back of a pick-up.

Not exactly true as many have ridden in the back of trucks here in MT, not on highways but back country trails and in their families fields.  And yes they can and do get hurt sometimes but most are aware and fairly careful.  As to dogs, no requirement for them to be tied or leashed in the back of trucks.  We see many traveling that way as well as leaning out the back window of pickups and cars.

I think a crew cab pickup is the best way to travel with dogs. My wife and I have two English Springer Spaniels and they are the best dogs to travel with we have ever had and they love to go. You load them in the back seat they look around for a few minutes going down the road then they lay down and go to sleep and they do this for hours and never complain, they travel better than are kids did when they where young. You never hear them say are we there yet LOL. I would never put them in the bed going down the road at 70mph. I had a friend who has cow dogs had them on his flat bed truck going down a dirt road slowly when the dogs got to playing and his best dog got knocked off and he ran over it with the horse trailer before he could stop. I know those dogs have riding miles on that truck before but it only takes once.

One of our previous neighbors had an absolutely wonderful black lab we all loved.  He took the dog on a camping trip and the dog rode in the truck bed.  All was fine until someone hit him.  The frightened dog bolted and was never seen again even though our neighbor returned to the area every week for several months.  He lost a wonderful pet and very much regretted having him ride in the back of the truck.

ArdraF

AndraF,
Nobody is more sorry than I about hearing about the lost lab. I see this thread has been re-fired and threads such as this get me fired up!

I've posted before...
Owner is responsible. Do the right thing to protect your pet. Tether. No matter what. In the back of a pick-up, on your front porch, etc. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Asteg1000
Back
Top Bottom