Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Itasca Reyo have TPMS?  (Read 4289 times)

alschuetz

• ---
Itasca Reyo have TPMS?
« on: August 12, 2013, 04:26:16 PM »
I recently purchased a 2014 Itasca Reyo on the Sprinter chassis.  During the walk-through at the dealers, the service tech said his personal experiences include always checking the tire pressures befor each leg of a trip.  As he showed me the dual wheels I asked him how you check tire pressure, as the valve stems are pretty much hidden and hard to get to.  He told he to remove the stainless steel hub and wheel liner to check.  I asked him how you even get the plastic valve cover off and he scratched his head and said "... use small fingers and be careful...". 

So as I was reading the chassis manual, it didn't add much clarity, other than to use a dual head pressure gage.  But, I also read a section in the chassis operation manual that went into detail on the built-in TPMS.  I checked the dash gage, but did nit see the icon when the key is first turned to position 2.  I also tried to get to it via the display screen in the gage cluster, but didn't see anything about it.

So my assumption is that the TPMS was not an option that Winnebago thought was worth adding to the chassist they purchased.  Anybody know if that is the case?
Al & Linda Schuetz
Cape Coral, FL
2018 Winnebago Forza
2014 Jeep Patroit toad

John Hilley

• ---
Re: Itasca Reyo have TPMS?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 04:30:54 PM »
I would suspect that that is the case. I don't see it in the specifications.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
605 watts of Solar
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2018 Chevrolet Equinox Diesel AWD
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »
I think we have thrashed this out before here but I don't remember when - do a search.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

robmab

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:33:37 PM »
The TPMS is not an available option from Mercedes Benz on the 3500 chassis.  Only available if you have the 2500 (non dual rear) chassis. 
Bob
2016 Itasca Sunstar 27N
2011 Honda CRV

alschuetz

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:27:41 PM »
Thanx all.  I did try a search on this forum.  But being new to it, I might not have done the search correctly.  My apologies if I have created a repeat.

I havn't been able to read all of the documents provided with the RV in detail.  But I will continue to become more familiar and educated on it going forward.

The one thing all of this research has done is make me way more aware of the diligence I need to do to reduce the potential for problems on the road.  Today I spent most of the day hunting down what used to be a familiar tool, the hubcap tool, with a flat blade on one side and a rubber mallet on the other.  Advance Auto Parts and Discount Auto Parts both sell wheel covers.  But neither sell the tool.  I found one at Harbor Freight.  While there, I also found an air pump with a quick connector on it.  After much fiddeling around buying quick connect fittings and a dual ended air connector with gage, I now have a portable air pump that is capable of filling all seven tires as needed.

That was a good thing!  Upon checking the air pressure as delivered, I found six of the tires at 702-75 psi from the dealer.  The chassis tire info sticker calls for 61 psi.  The seventh tire was on the port outside rear tire.  It only had 15 psi and a finish trim screw embedded in the tread.  I am glad I found this before our first trip starting Friday!

Tommorow, I will remove the tire and replace with the spare.  Then I will take the failed tire to a repair shop for a plug.  I could call a road service for the change, but am thinking that replacing a tire in my driveway is good training for a potential replacement roadside in the future.

I have also ordered a TPMS system and hope that it gets delivered before we leave.  But I will at least have the comfort that all of the tires have been checked and are at the correct pressures.
Al & Linda Schuetz
Cape Coral, FL
2018 Winnebago Forza
2014 Jeep Patroit toad

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 08:51:01 AM »
If the inner dual is that hard to get to, will you be able to install a TPMS  transmitter on there without changing the valve stems on the inners?? Just something to think about!!
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

alschuetz

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 05:32:40 PM »
Alfa38User,

Thanks for the response.  Today I removed the bad tire and replaced it with the spare.  It was quite an experience!  Those lug nuts were on tight.  Once I broke them free, it was pretty straight forward.

As for installing the TPMS senders, it will be a little tricky, as there are extenders currently on the valve stems.  I am thinking that it I put the inner sender caps on the extension, I might be able to use a small ty-wrap to hold it in position and not tax the valve stem as much.

The failed tire has become another story unto itself.  The screw was one of those self drilling fasteners with a washer head that is usually used for installing trim.  It is just under 3/4" long.  It pierced the tire on the outer edge and the tire store would not patch it from the inside, as it was in the curve from the tread to the sidewall and gets a lot of flexing.  The tire mfg, Contenental, has been supportive, as has LaMesa RV.  But that model replacement tire is not in stock.  So I am thinking that our planned first trip starting this Friday might get cancelled.  Time will tell... :-\
Al & Linda Schuetz
Cape Coral, FL
2018 Winnebago Forza
2014 Jeep Patroit toad

alschuetz

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 06:41:18 PM »
Our first trip is now delayed.  It turns out that the Continental tire needed (LT 215/85 R16 E) Vanta Four Season is not in stockin this area and will have to be shipped in.  So we are looking at a six day delay, hopefully less!

After changing the dual outer tire to the spare I read the manual and it recommended calling a road assistance and only changing it yourself as a last resort.  But I do feel better about getting the experience in my driveway and now will carry some othe pieces "just in case", like wood blocks and a wood base plate.
Al & Linda Schuetz
Cape Coral, FL
2018 Winnebago Forza
2014 Jeep Patroit toad

alschuetz

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »
Heard from the tire store today that the tire is scheduled to come in tomorrow.  So they have the wheel and will install the tire as soon as they can.  Yeah!

The TPMS also came in today and I just finished installing it and the six sensors.  With the SS Trim rings and hubs off on the rear axle, it was a pretty straight forward installation.  Winnebago had provided a 6" length of black tubing that is the right size to get the valve caps off.  I took that idea and went to Ace Hardware and found a piece of tubing that I can put the sensor body in and then turn them on like the caps were. 

The rear inners already had extenders on them.  So they are a rubber stem with an extension on them.  So when I installed those sensors they nearly made it to the outer wheel ventilation holes.  I got creative with the packing that the Tire Tracker TPMS came in and cut out the foam rubber around where the sensors were packaged.  I then inserted it over the rear inner sensor and squeezed the foam rubber into one of the outer tire ventilation holes.  That should keep the inner tire valve stem from flexing with centrifical force.  Time will tell!

The TPMS manual states that the tire pressure measurements are much more accurate that the average tire gage.  That being said, they measured 59 to 61 degrees.  I had previously set the tire pressure with the new gage I bought at 61 PSI.  That is the pressure that Winnbago has on it's label in the door.  I will run the first trip and determine if I want to add a couple of pounds more.
Al & Linda Schuetz
Cape Coral, FL
2018 Winnebago Forza
2014 Jeep Patroit toad

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 08:18:12 AM »
I would check to see if your tire manufacturer has an inflation chart (weight vs. tire pressure) for your tires.  If so then weigh your rig and adjust tire pressures accordingly and don't rely on the Winnebago sticker - that would list the max inflation for the tires.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 08:27:19 AM »
I would also suggest that you have them install a proper hard valve extension on that wheel NOW. The flexible rubber ones are known to give problems, especially with a TPMS head on them. Too much flexing....

You can install another one on the other side later when work has to be done.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:29:48 AM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

IslandGuy

• ---
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 09:07:59 AM »
Heard from the tire store today that the tire is scheduled to come in tomorrow.  So they have the wheel and will install the tire as soon as they can.  Yeah!

The TPMS also came in today and I just finished installing it and the six sensors.  With the SS Trim rings and hubs off on the rear axle, it was a pretty straight forward installation.  Winnebago had provided a 6" length of black tubing that is the right size to get the valve caps off.  I took that idea and went to Ace Hardware and found a piece of tubing that I can put the sensor body in and then turn them on like the caps were. 

The rear inners already had extenders on them.  So they are a rubber stem with an extension on them.  So when I installed those sensors they nearly made it to the outer wheel ventilation holes.  I got creative with the packing that the Tire Tracker TPMS came in and cut out the foam rubber around where the sensors were packaged.  I then inserted it over the rear inner sensor and squeezed the foam rubber into one of the outer tire ventilation holes.  That should keep the inner tire valve stem from flexing with centrifical force.  Time will tell!

The TPMS manual states that the tire pressure measurements are much more accurate that the average tire gage.  That being said, they measured 59 to 61 degrees.  I had previously set the tire pressure with the new gage I bought at 61 PSI.  That is the pressure that Winnbago has on it's label in the door.  I will run the first trip and determine if I want to add a couple of pounds more.

Al,
Do yourself a favor and call Chuck aka The Tireman..... http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~tire-man/products.html
ask about his replacement metal tire valves. These are NOT extensions but replacement valves that are bent in a way that you do not have to remove the wheel simulators to check the tire pressure. There are a number of owners who have these replacement valves on their Sprinter chassis. You will have to go to a tire shop and have the valves installed and the tires rebalanced but once done it is a piece of cake to check the tires....
take a look at this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mk4xYDxyuc
Jim

2009 WGO Tour 40TD
2012 Honda Fit Sport 5 sp, SMI Stay-In-Play
Saddlebrooke, AZ

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

alschuetz

• ---
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 09:32:50 AM »
John, Stu, Jim,

Thank you!  This is great advice and makes a lot of sense. 

John, the tires were at 75.5 psi from the dealer and the chart on the door states 61.  So I tried to set them to 61psi cold.  I do agree with your guidance on getting the rv weighed and adjusting from there.  But you also said that the Winnebago 61psi number is the max?  My understanding was that the Winnebago number is the mean average.

Thanks all for your comments and guidance.  I am being quickly educated on what to do and watch for.

Al
Al & Linda Schuetz
Cape Coral, FL
2018 Winnebago Forza
2014 Jeep Patroit toad

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 09:37:04 AM »
The steel extensions are definitely the way to go. It's amazing what temperature, vibration  and centrifugal force can do to the rubber extensions.
605 watts of Solar
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 10:09:30 AM »
Two notes:

a. Most motor homes do not have a spare and I'd argue that cars could well do without one. I certainly wouldn't cancrl a trip beauseI had no spare.

b. I learned the hard way that pressure transducers should not be mounted on rubber valve extensions when one tore off and created a flat. Ultimately, I gave up on them completely when I got tired of their causing leaks, false alarms, and the general hassle when trying to add air.

JM2C

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 10:18:27 AM »
As good as the concept is, I think they cause as many or more problems than they prevent. I believe the internal band type might be better, but they are very expensive.
605 watts of Solar
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 12:31:06 PM »
...Ultimately, I gave up on them completely when I got tired of their causing leaks, false alarms, and the general hassle when trying to add air....
Exactly.  I threw my system away a couple of years ago and I'm a happier camper.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather