ELX-25 power converter not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leclercs

I recently purchased a used 2004 Palomino Yearling model 4127. I realise now that when connected to 120v (house) power all my 12V devices will not work unless the battery is charged and wired. From my understanding when plugged into a 120 power supply I should be able to operate everything that is electrical without the need of any 12V battery at all. However, that is not the case with this trailer. I've been desperately trying to find the wiring diagram for this trailer and converter to see if it's at all connected properly. My question is, how can I confirm that the problem is or is not the power converter itself. If I'm going to purchase a new power converter I would obviously want to make sure that it is in fact defective.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Steve L.

.... From my understanding when plugged into a 120 power supply I should be able to operate everything that is electrical without the need of any 12V battery at all.

You can get a copy of the ELX manual here:http://www.livinlite.com/pdf/Elixir12_30Manual.pdf

As for a manual for the Palimino itself, good luck, but be aware most of these kinds of manuals, if any,  are very sparse on the details you are looking for. Most will cover many models with little detail on any given one. The manuals for the various appliances installed can often be located by simply searching for the make and model on the internet.

Some converters will operate fine with no battery connected, others will operate very poorly and some others, not at all. However, I did not read the whole manual to see if this is even mentioned in this case.

The battery acts as load and a filter and it is always wise to have a battery in circuit. Your Elixer converter also has a fused output that protects the converter from damage should the battery be accidentally connected backwards so you may have to check that too. Once you have installed a charged battery correctly, and verified the converter output fuse, you can plug in and with a voltmeter measure the voltage across the battery terminals. You should see at least 13.2 V if the battery charger is functioning. (A fully charged battery should read about 12.6V on its own (no load).

Should you require a new converter, purchase a good 3 stage converter, a bit more costly but well worth it and will avoid boiling the batteries as many of the single stage converters have a tendency to do.

The chances of it being anything other than the converter/charger are slim, but it might be just a fuse in the charger. If it was actually miswired, you wouldn't get power form the battery when charged.

You really don't want to replace the entire Elixir unit - it is an entire power center and not simply a charger.  Also, I don't think the ELX series is made anymore, but there is a WFCO brand unit that can replace it.  Basically you just want to replace the charging function. For a simple solution, just buy an automotive battery charger and plug it in somewhere and hook the clip leads to the battery. For a more sophisticated solution, get a Progressive Dynamics or Iota converter/charger and wire it in, leaving the ELX connected so that it continues to serve its other functions. Here is a 30A Iota that would work nicely:
http://www.bestconverter.com/DLS-30-30-Amp-Power-Converter_p_317.html#.UgpRwKxh-CU

I see there are still some ELX 25's available for sale - here is one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PRDMOW

http://rvpowerpartsplus.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=88

A more-expensive three stage charger would be the top choice, but I'm not sure it makes that much difference in a pop-up that probably sees mostly weekend use. It would be a smart investment if you leave the pop-up plugged in all the time, though.

Do yourself a favor a replace it with a Progressive Dynamics, Made in the US (WAFCO country of origin China) search problems for each company PD has the best rep.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom