Need help with leaking ac on popup. Newbie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jch2122

First, thanks for any assistance with this issue.  I have a 1998 Coleman Shenandoah.  I bought it with the knowledge that the roof was sagging, but I wasn't told that it was leaking.  When it rains the ac unit leaks to the point that I have a steady stream of water coming from it.  I've been told that I need to reseal the ac unit, so I bought a sealant strip with a sticky side from Lowes and I've removed the ac unit from the roof, but now i'm unsure where to put the sealant.  It seems that I can either put it directly around the square opening that the ac goes in, or I can put it around the outside of the ac unit.  I'm very new at all of this and I got a good deal on this camper with the understanding that it would need a little work, but I don't want to mess it up.  Thanks again for your assistance. 

I would put it around the opening, then replace the unit, then add a second bead of sealant around the flange with a caulk gun.

DO NOT USE SEALANT!!!!!!

go to your local rv shop and get an a/c gasket. reinstall the unit with the proper gasket and you will be good to go. If you use a sealer you will have issues removing the unit and damaging the roof in the future.

captsteve said:
DO NOT USE SEALANT!!!!!!

go to your local rv shop and get an a/c gasket. reinstall the unit with the proper gasket and you will be good to go. If you use a sealer you will have issues removing the unit and damaging the roof in the future.

X2 --  Having just installed an AC on my 5er, the AC gasket is what you need.  Replace it and then snug up the holding bolts and you should be good. 
You say the roof sags, is it still solid or has it leaked and has lost support now?

Use the proper gasket X3.
    From the bottom of the A/C unit, remove the plastic, there will be 6 or 8 screws, the will provide access to 4 bolts that hold 2 bars to the A/C unit.  Remove those bolts, lift the A/C unit off of the roof.  The gasket will be between the A/C and the roof.  Do not over tighten the bolts as the gasket will form the seal.
    It goes without saying, but please make sure you are not connected to shore power when doing this.

Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom