1947 Flxible Clipper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bingo66

I purchased a 1947 Flxible Clipper RV a few months ago and I'm having it restored at Bob Rowsells shop in El Galan. I'll put some images up on the web and include a link on this thread later. It's going to be a long project but couldn't see such a fine piece of American history go to the junk yard!!

Wow, how neat is that!  Didn't really know what they were so found some pictures on line but why are they called Flxible?  Looking forward to following the process :)  Good luck!

Cheryl

Here's the answer from the Flxible Owner's website:

"The Flxible company was founded in 1913 when they released their first product: a flexible mount used to attach a side car to a motorcycle. They took the ?e? out of flexible to make the name trademark-able."

Ahh, now that makes sense, couldn't figure out how they were "flexible" :-[.  Thanks for the clarification.

I've put some pictures on the following site. They are a mixture of the Flxible at its original location in 29 Palms, CA, being loaded onto the transporter and pictures from the restoration shop showing the interior, engine and exterior of the bus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95137559@N04/

I have more pictures and will post as soon as I can. I'll also do a little write up regarding it's history and how I came to buy it.

Very cool. Now you need to find an late 40's early 50's car to restore and use it as your Toad.

I'll do well to finance this project without going bust let alone finding the money for a vintage toad vehicle ;D It would be nice though!!

A little history about my Flxible Clipper:

Bought new by the Utah Parks Company (part of the Union Pacific Railroad) in 1947, the Flxible Clipper spent all of its working life taking tourists around the various National Parks. For a commercial bus, it's had a very pampered working life.

Taken out of service in 1965, it was converted to a motorhome and eventually found its way to the previous owners in 1972. Since 1972 it has been in the same family ownership and stored in the 29 Palms region of California. As a result the vehicle has almost no rust but has needed major mechanical work due to the fact that it has not moved for over 25 years!!

I saw a local advert for the bus some months ago and was amazed to see the bus re-advertised some time later without a serious offer being made. I contacted the family and learned that the grandfather who owned the bus had passed away and this was the reason for the sale. The only serious offer they had was from a junk yard who were buying the vehicle for the scrap metal. I didn't want to see that happen so agreed to buy the bus.

Since shipping the bus to the restoration shop, the engine (Detroit Diesel) has been fully rebuilt, new cooling system and radiator, new brakes, re-built clutch and front axle, new King Pins, new fuel lines and re-ferbished fuel tanks, new wheels (old ones were split rims) and new tyres.

Once the bus gets some test miles under it's belt, the interior will be stripped out and a complete new interior fitted. Final stage will be the exterior and I plan on keeping the original paint design.

Sound like you are well on your way.  I've got to say when you get to the interior I hope you keep the wood ceiling, that looks really nice!

Unfortunately the wood ceiling will be going and replaced with a retro, cream leather finish. I've done some 3D models of possible interior layouts. The one I like at the moment  allows for a double bed in the rear and converted dinette and settee in the front to a double bed.

Attachments

• flxible interior mock up3.jpg
    flxible interior mock up3.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 186
  • flxible interior mock up4.jpg
    flxible interior mock up4.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 145
  • flxible interior mock up5.jpg
    flxible interior mock up5.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 131
Looks good. just 2 questions. where is the bathroom? and how long is it? oh and one more question why no build a bit more counter top? you can almost never have too much counter top. I am always amazed when I look at pictures on 40 foot rigs and there is only 9 inches of usable counter space.

Just saying you will have a mostly clean slate to work with and an opportunity to make a truly amazing machine. Of course you will also want to make it what you want. :)

It's a really tight squeeze to get everything in!! This Flxible is 33ft long but 5 ft is taken up at the back for luggage space :( See photo.

I've added two shots of the toilet and shower room that are oposite each other. The idea is for the doors to each compartment to open in such a way that they become privacy doors. I know there is little in the way of counter tops but a removable cutting board on top of the sink will add some additional space. We have twin boys so need a second sleeping area other than the main bedroom at the back of the bus. The idea is for the dinette and the settee oposite to come together as an aditional double bed.

Attachments

• flxible engine luggage bay.jpg
    flxible engine luggage bay.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 182
  • flxible interior bathroom1.jpg
    flxible interior bathroom1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 140
  • flxible interior shower1.jpg
    flxible interior shower1.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 106
I have to agree with vetmom. The wood ceiling trumps the cream leather.

I can't imagine cooking under a leather ceiling...steam and all....

Just my $0.02.

Very cool project. My dad probably rode on that bus he was a tour guide for UP for many years right after the war, in fact that is how he met my mother.

1joester2 said:
I have to agree with vetmom. The wood ceiling trumps the cream leather.

I can't imagine cooking under a leather ceiling...steam and all....

Just my $0.02.

Have scrapped the leather look following a conversation with the restoration shop!! Too heavy and expensive. Will be going for a veneer so yes the wood effect is staying.

It's alive!!!

After 30+ years stood in the California desert, the guys at H-B Industries have done a great job to get the Clipper running and still manage to keep most of the original drive train and engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH3kYLzjlp8

All mechanical work has now been completed. Bus bodywork is being sandblasted and primed, ready for paint. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom