1947 Flxible Clipper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Flxible has now been sandblasted and stripped. Even the guys who stripped the bus couldn't believe what great shape the bodywork was in. I think it's down to 7 layers of lead based paint and 40+ years in the California desert :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtS0-NwWwS4&feature

What direction you goin' with the paint? Vintage livery scheme would be cool. Might even make a movie star out of her! Nice supplemental income to boot.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Same paint job as before (blue and white) but I'm having the fenders, wiper arms, side mirrors and Flxible sign on the front chromed.

Jay Leno's shop foreman was featured on Xtreme RV's recently with his Flxible as he restored it for the Flxible Rally in Ohio. I have never seen so many in a parade!

He used pressed tin sheets like in the old buildings for his ceilings. You might be able to You Tube or something and find that segment.

If I had the time, I would chase one down in a heartbeat - they are just an All American looking rig, not unlike vintage Airstreams. I look forward to your progress.

Just as a matter of interest and I hope Bingo does not mind, but he has been running a similar thread on the RVOC forum, where we are both members, here in the UK. Personally I think most of us on the RVOC thought, at the beginning that he was barking mad, but now are just a teen tiny bit jealous. Perhaps we will have a rally when the Flxible reaches these shores to welcome it to it's new home. ;D

http://www.rvoc.co.uk/forum/rv-general-chat/12469-1947-flxible-clipper-motor-home.html

SuperMike said:
Just as a matter of interest and I hope Bingo does not mind, but he has been running a similar thread on the RVOC forum, where we are both members, here in the UK. Personally I think most of us on the RVOC thought, at the beginning that he was barking mad, but now are just a teen tiny bit jealous. Perhaps we will have a rally when the Flxible reaches these shores to welcome it to it's new home. ;D

http://www.rvoc.co.uk/forum/rv-general-chat/12469-1947-flxible-clipper-motor-home.html

Thanks SuperMike, much appreciated!!!

The bus restoration is coming along at a pace :)

Some images of the bus getting its first coat of primer. Lots of bodywork still to complete and all of the interior to sort out but there has been a lot of progress made!!

Attachments

• flxible_rust6.JPG
    flxible_rust6.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 86
  • flxible_rust11.JPG
    flxible_rust11.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 79
  • flxible_rust14.JPG
    flxible_rust14.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 80
  • flxible_rust16.JPG
    flxible_rust16.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 83
  • flxible_rust15.JPG
    flxible_rust15.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 79
I love this project. Are you going to keep the Ketchum sign in the destination window? My dad was a tour guide for the Union Pacific and we lived in the Challenger inn in Sun Valley until they built a house in Ketchum. He most likely road on that bus.

Yes, keeping the Ketchum sign!!

We've also now decided on the design of the soft furnishings. It keeps the retro look we are after and matches the exterior colour scheme which will be Corvette Nassau blue and white.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 59
bingo66 said:
Yes, keeping the Ketchum sign!!

We've also now decided on the design of the soft furnishings. It keeps the retro look we are after and matches the exterior colour scheme which will be Corvette Nassau blue and white.

Glad you are keeping that sign, are there any other towns on it?
The interior will look great!

Not sure if there are other names on the scroll. I haven't actually seen the bus in the flesh yet :)

The interior is fully stripped and the metal work has been refurbished and well treated with plenty of primer.

Attachments

• flxible 44a.jpg
    flxible 44a.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 123
  • flxible 49a.jpg
    flxible 49a.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 100
Insulation now fixed into place and the internal walls are going up :)

Attachments

• flxible 58.JPG
    flxible 58.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 76
  • flxible 59.JPG
    flxible 59.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 66
  • flxible 60.JPG
    flxible 60.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 73
Looking great!  Steel framing studs are a wonderful thing.  What will they be using to make the actual wall surface?  I assume drywall (plasterboard) wouldn't work well in an RV environment.

My father also owned a 1947 Flxible that was converted. It had a 401 CID V6 that came out of a dump truck. It was originally a greyhound bus that ran around Abilene, Fort Leavenworth and Junction City,Kansas. What a blast that was riding in that bullet. He sold it in Colorado in the 90's.

The materials being used are commercial building products. The Flxible has now had the ceiling panels installed and they look pretty good. Again, high grade building products have been used (GRP, with an embossed wipe clean surface). The walls will be a lightweight, engineered panel.

Attachments

• flxible 61.JPG
    flxible 61.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 99
  • flxible 62.JPG
    flxible 62.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 82
  • flxible 63.JPG
    flxible 63.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 95

Latest posts

Members online