RV GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beepaj

How 'bout it fellow RVers? I realize none are perfect but I'd like a consensus of which ones are preferred.  ;)

You will find that many on here use a combo of stuff. Some even go as far as to have a computer monitor mounted up front for multiple programs.

If you want a all in one for RV GPS, look at the RVND 7720 or the Garmin RV 760 MT

I used a RVND 7720 on a recent trip from Las Vegas, NV to Roseburg, OR and back using different routes. On the way up I got two "scratch my head" directions that I ignored and made the system reroute the trip to the way I thought it should go. Other than that it performed well, with the exception of the Sharp Curve warning, it was off in its warnings more often than correct; however, it was easy to tell when the system was overreacting to a curve ahead. I really enjoy the Speed Limit changing ahead function, it was spot on the entire journey. I did encounter one Low Bridge that it did not warn me about, instead it warned of a narrow road, which it was. The bridge was 15'-10" and I have my system set at 16'-0". Overall I am pleased with the RVND 7720.

We plan to buy the new Garmin RV 760 now that it is available.

If you do a search of this board, you'll find numerous previous discussions of the various GPS units used by RVers.

I don't use an "RV" GPs, but I add numerous custom POI's and also low clearance bridge data, so maybe I am converting it to one. I like the standard units from Tom Tom and Garmin and buy whatever model gives me the best value/dollar for the size and features I want. I find a 5" display to be entirely adequate for RV use, but others feel that 7" or more is needed.  Possibly the place you choose to locate it makes a difference in the size requirement. I like the display mounted close enough for easy reach, so the 5" size is readily visible, and a 7" would actually interfere with my forward vision a bit. Different solutions for different needs...

I have to agree with Gary. I have a 7 " screen and it is a little over powering.  I have the RVND 7720. I also find it give me more info than I need, but I put in a trip ( multi stops) and it worked great. I really like it keeps track of all my fuel purchases.  I can download the data and print out the results. 

Jim

Since my other half does most of the driving and I navigate, I'm partial to the 7" screen.

I use the Garmin dezl 560, designed for RVs and trucks, as well as cars and pedestrians. In truck or RV modes it also allows for the vehicle dimensions when figuring routes, and has truck stop information and more. I've been pleased, though I wish I had the 7" model, which wasn't available when I got this one.

Becks said:
We plan to buy the new Garmin RV 760 now that it is available.

Becks, I'm hoping that you can steer me to where this unit is for sale. I'm not able to find it available anywhere yet.
Thinking of getting the dezl 760LMT version.

In Canada it is available here.
http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-rv-760lmt.html

Back
Top Bottom