We just bought a 1988 Holiday Rambler! Now what??...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

88Ramblur

We have LOT's to DO!! We couldn't afford new, so after traveling over 400 miles looking at several in our price range...we hope we found a diamond in the rough. We found a one owner 1988 Holiday Rambler 35th Anniversary Presidential, Aluma Frame that seemed to be waiting just for us! She's 30' long. The 454 seems to run great and this MH has been well taken care of, roof/ceiling is DRY even with all the heavy rains we've had lately...with NO signs of prior leakage or we would have walked away. She's in the shop right now getting the oil changed, systems check, etc., as she had been sitting for 10 years!  We know... could be good, could be BAD...but we took the gamble because we felt she has "good bones" and are anxiously waiting to hear how she is. The genny has 58 hours, as they plugged in when they had her out, but we couldn't get it to start. The oil looked good, and I'm hoping it's not a big problem to get it running. *fingers crossed* Water heater may be an issue too, but we'll see... The exterior is in good shape, with sun fading as the big issue. She even came with a bra that was new in the package!  8)  ::) So we HAD to put it on!
The interior is in great condition and the original owner's manuals are neatly in the glove box! (It ironically doesn't tell you  :eek: WHERE anything is, but explains how to use the appliances!) *If you want/need info from it, let me know and I'll scan the book.

The pull down bunk above the driver/passenger seat had never been used and still has the HRC factory plastic on it! She sleeps 5, and we are debating on removing the bunk to mount a folding bracket style TV in the ceiling in it's place...
We are planning several updates when we get her back home (New tires, possible new water heater, removing the carpet and installing Allure flooring, new window treatments, kitchen and bathroom back-splash updates, re-covering the jackknife sofa, installing an LED TV *has none at present time, and has never even had one* and replacing the back-up camera and monitor, etc.)

Will show before and after pics...

Are there certain things we should replace at once? We plan on having the roof sealed since it hasn't been done. Please let us know if you have any tips or suggestions!!

Attachments

• 106_0159 (2).jpg
    106_0159 (2).jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 287
  • IMAG1599_1 (2).jpg
    IMAG1599_1 (2).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 253
  • IMAG1626_1_1 (2).jpg
    IMAG1626_1_1 (2).jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 245
First, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the new rig. It looks great.

These would be my concerns after sitting for 10 years.

1. All fluids need to be drained, sumps and tanks flushed, and fluids replaced.

2. No matter how good the tires LOOK, they generally last 6 to 7 years. By law, there is a DOT date code on each tire. Make sure they are in range,    age-wise, and DON'T drive it anywhere if over 8 years, until they are replaced.

3. Generators need to run. 58 hours on that old of coach should be more like 800-1000, or more, hours to be in good shape.

4. Check all gaskets, belts, seals for dry rot. If they don't get used, i. e. fluids being sealed, and pulleys being turned, they rot.

Sounds like you are already on the right track to make her ship shape. Good luck, and have fun.

Stan

Thanks Stan! We will definitely do that all that you suggested. I'm really nervous to hear back from the coach mechanic on the major issues.... We aren't in a hurry to go across country right now, so we will have the time to do what needs done. Just hope we have the funds!  ;)

58 hours on generator doesn't necessarily mean a good thing. Bet the carburetor needs rebuilding

Congrats on the new coach.  Nothing wrong with a diamond in the rough when looking for an RV.  There are people out there that keep those older units running and looking like new.  Our first two motorhomes were older units that we "brought back" to pristine condition and loved them thoroughly.

You are doing the right thing by having all of the fluids changed, I would also have the cooling system flushed and refilled as well as differential and transmission along with your oil change.  On the P30 chassis when they grease the front ball joints, make certain they raise the front end off of the ground.  This is a common mistake to not raise it but the weight should be off of them so they can take grease properly.  GM sent out a TSB back in the 80' because even at their dealerships this was not getting done properly.

The generator not running after all those years is quite common as well.  Two things I have found is the fuel pump and the carburetor.  More than likely the fuel pump is gummed up and not supplying fuel to the carburetor and even if it is the small passages in the carburetor are more than likely plugged and need to be cleaned.  Once the generator is up and running make certain that they set the carburetor by voltage and frequency rather than RPM.  Most shops should know this but if they are merely a repair shop and don't understand generators it could be costly when you damage electrical items due to improper voltages/frequencies.

One of the first things I check after performing any generator work is to verify the voltage and frequency prior to plugging anything into them.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
You are doing the right thing by having all of the fluids changed, I would also have the cooling system flushed and refilled as well as differential and transmission along with your oil change.  On the P30 chassis when they grease the front ball joints, make certain they raise the front end off of the ground.  This is a common mistake to not raise it but the weight should be off of them so they can take grease properly.  GM sent out a TSB back in the 80' because even at their dealerships this was not getting done properly.

The generator not running after all those years is quite common as well.  Two things I have found is the fuel pump and the carburetor.  More than likely the fuel pump is gummed up and not supplying fuel to the carburetor and even if it is the small passages in the carburetor are more than likely plugged and need to be cleaned.  Once the generator is up and running make certain that they set the carburetor by voltage and frequency rather than RPM.  Most shops should know this but if they are merely a repair shop and don't understand generators it could be costly when you damage electrical items due to improper voltages/frequencies.

One of the first things I check after performing any generator work is to verify the voltage and frequency prior to plugging anything into them.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

Mike.

Mike, that is all great to know, thank you!

Great looking unit!  I bet it will turn out fine and with the new fluids and TIRES!!!, it will start on it's process of getting you hooked on traveling this way.  Almost unheard of to find a one-owner 1988.  Most 25 year olds are probably on their sixth owner.  Previous owner must have really loved it.

COMer said:
Great looking unit!  I bet it will turn out fine and with the new fluids and TIRES!!!, it will start on it's process of getting you hooked on traveling this way.  Almost unheard of to find a one-owner 1988.  Most 25 year olds are probably on their sixth owner.  Previous owner must have really loved it.

Yes, they really did love this MH... Actually he is 92 years old, and unfortunately his wife passed away 10 years ago.  :( That's why it sat for so long. It was the last thing he had 'of her' and he had tears in his eyes as it was pulling out of the driveway. The MH meant so much to the both of them and they made so many wonderful memories with it. We are hoping to do the same!  :)

88Ramblur said:
Yes, they really did love this MH... Actually he is 92 years old, and unfortunately his wife passed away 10 years ago.  :( That's why it sat for so long. It was the last thing he had 'of her' and he had tears in his eyes as it was pulling out of the driveway. The MH meant so much to the both of them and they made so many wonderful memories with it. We are hoping to do the same!  :)

I had a similar experience with the previous owner, and family, of my dune buggy. Seems Grampa built in the late 60's in CA. I was looking for a worn out buggy moldering away in some ones back yard and got a tip. Followed up on it like Amercan Pickers, minus the pushy arrogance. Had to remove it in 2 trips. Frame was scrap. Mom, Dad and 2 adult grandchildren were watching emotionally when I came back for the body.
Fast forward to the following spring. Buggy was done and street legal. I drove it to their home and tooted the ooOOgah horn as I pulled into their driveway. There were misty eyes and toothy grins all 'round. They were amazed by how good it looked, there was a small tree growing through it when I picked it up. The able bodied ones took a last ride in Grampas buggy, photos too. Warm fuzzies experienced by all. Got a little misty just relating the story.
Just sayin'.

Bill

I  have some suggestions...  I bought a 15 year old motorhome after accepting my own inspection.  LOL!  I have been in it full time 4 years and LOVE IT.

However, before you go hog wild with renovations...  I would get it fully functional and out on some trips.  Once you start vacationing in it or living in it...  things seem way different.  It's one thing to look at it and decide on a 90% renovation, it's another to LIVE in it  first then find out what happens when you go bouncing the roads. I swear that first year of driving I managed to find every detour, every bad lumpy highway, every pothole, every rut and the maintenance and repair surprises kept popping up. 

I saved myself a ton of grief by NOT rushing into renovations until after I saw the reality of moving one's home from place to place.

At first I refused to touch a thing on mine except as needed, it was original 1994 decor and equipment and I left it that way, just repaired all the known issues then waited for the pricey surprises to kick in. In the interim I began living in it and traveling finally (I was super sick right after I bought it, was wondering if I had just bought my coffin rather than my home!)

As time went on I was so glad I waited before starting on any of my own brand of renovations and customizations.  Because after using it a bunch, living, traveling etc.,  I suddenly had radically different ideas, ones that proved to work much better. So there is great virtue in patience.  Some things I thought would be ripped out and replaced stayed, they turned out to have valuable purpose just the way they are. Other things were modified or upgraded to agree with my current lifestyle.

Ironically mine came with no TV's and everyone thought I should address that issue first, but it was over 2 years before I finally installed a TV (now I have 2). I had so much to see and do that I never missed the TV. I could watch a movie on the laptop if I was desperate for entertainment and that worked surprisingly well.

In the interim, I figured out a fantastic idea for a TV situation that I am mighty proud of and the few that have seen my final arrangement were more than a tad envious. So now I look and study and collect info for a long time before I finally make a move on the latest project. Other things, that are super important to me, like the kitchen faucet, were replaced much sooner rather than later.

On the flip side... four years later... I realize too the value of buying old and used. I've been able to customize my rig to my type of lifestyle, adding loads of little conveniences that make day to day living a joy. The end result... when I go looking at other rigs, what if I traded up and so on, I am now let down, unimpressed with the newer rigs, because they don't have the wonderful additions mine has that makes it oh so comfy for me.

So yes, "old rig + some renovations" you can end up with a fabulous rig that suits your needs perfectly for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

I can look back and see that some of my original ideas would have been a disaster down the road, but on the other hand, some of my final tweaks and upgrades have been a bonus.

Good luck and enjoy!

Update #1:

We are keeping our updating budget to a minimum right now, until we know how much we're left with after everything gets serviced. I did buy new bronze drawer/cabinet pulls to replace the original polished brass pulls. 35 of them!! I found these on clearance at Lowes for only $1 each! Woohoo! http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/885785/885785284063.jpg  It really made a difference in just changing these out. I'll post before and after pictures later.  :)

The shop we had taken our RV to kept putting us off for repair and it seemed that we were only going to get ours in to be serviced when they had nothing else to do (new sales and rentals took priority there, which we understand is their bread and butter)...so, after many phone calls to various RV repair and maintenance places in the KC area, we found it
difficult to get superior service/help from any of them when they were told the age of our RV. It was like I had a bad form of 'super cooties' in owning such an older model.  Even Camping World gave me the brush off! The person I spoke with when trying to schedule service was throwing out all these costs for items that will need to be replaced due to the fact that our RV was "so old." She said we'd need a new propane tank, water heater, A/C, etc. etc... This was all over the phone and they hadn't even seen our rig. I said it was in good shape though and very well cared for. That didn't matter. All the items she rambled off to me "weren't repairable and too old and must be replaced." Then she argued with me about the fact that even if my LP tank was in good shape, I'd need a new one so it could "be certified."  After my phone conversation with them, I decided I wouldn't go to them if they were the last place on earth... I feel sorry for those unknowing RV owners who get swindled like she was trying to do to me.  This was SO frustrating!! We aren't the only ones with an "older" RV. There has to be some place we can take it too...
Not giving up, I called Cummins Central Power after seeing onling that they not only do generator repair, which we needed, but they have "Coach Care" as well.  8) I called and was treated like a normal person.  :eek: The age of our RV didn't even matter and that was so refreshing after being treated like a leper by the others. The service person there told me they were really backed up for several weeks (I know this is the norm everywhere), and he suggested I call the local GMC light truck service - which is next door to this place. I didn't even think about that! I called Westfall GMC, dropped it off and 3 days later it was done!!!  ;D  Oil changed, brake inspection, lube, coolant flushed, transmission serviced, engine tuned up, (hoses and belts were in great shape). *happy dance!*  We had to drop $540 for this and considered ourselves lucky that it wasn't worse. (Thank you Westfall GMC!!)
The next day, they delivered our rig to Cummins for us so our generator could be repaired. (It won't even try to start)  I also wanted Coach Care to perform an LP test to make sure all is well. (We had the LP tank filled after we bought the RV, but didn't want to try it out without getting to okay from a pro first.)

So, I got a call on Friday and here are the results so far:

Our 1988 Onan 6500 generator needs a new starter and new carburetor. I'm sure it'll need a new fuel pump too, but they said it would be aprox $800 for service so far. Knowing that we can't be without a genny, and I really do trust this place, I told them to do it.  I also got a call from Coach Care that they were doing the LP test and our regulator was bad. They are replacing the regulator and continuing on with the LP test. *fingers crossed!*

STUPID QUESTION: I didn't even think to ask, but... Can they replace the regulator without losing our full tank of propane?? I'm sure they will probably extract it somehow and put it back in. Hopefully...?

We need new tires in a bad way, and have decided to go with Cooper tires, and will have to drop about $1,600 on that when all is said and done. I know this is a great deal and if we had gone with Michelin, we'd be looking at $2,600-$3,600+ I hope we have $$ left over to go somewhere this year. We may just be camping in our driveway this fall! LOL!

~ Rhonda

They can replace the regulator without dumping the propane. What have you done about the batteries? I would carry a spare fuel filter, both for the chassis and the generator, could be a lot of rust in the tank.

The propane regulator is external to the tank, so there's no problem in replacing it.  Just turn off the tank valve and the regulator unscrews from the line.

Propane stores quite well, unlike gasoline it does not deteriorate in storage.  If you have 10 year old gasoline in the main fuel tank, I'd think seriously about ditching it and refilling with fresh gas.

You don't ever have to recertify permanently mounted ASCME propane tanks on motorhomes.  The portable DOT tanks used on trailers and portable BBQs (and sold by Camping World) do have to be recertified or replaced after 12 years.

Lou Schneider said:
The propane regulator is external to the tank, so there's no problem in replacing it.  Just turn off the tank valve and the regulator unscrews from the line.

Propane stores quite well, unlike gasoline it does not deteriorate in storage.  If you have 10 year old gasoline in the main fuel tank, I'd think seriously about ditching it and refilling with fresh gas.

You don't ever have to recertify permanently mounted ASCME propane tanks on motorhomes.  The portable DOT tanks used on trailers and portable BBQs (and sold by Camping World) do have to be recertified or replaced after 12 years.

Thanks, that's good to know. As for the propane...the tank was empty, but we had it filled just prior to taking it to be tested. I called around and double checked about her notion of our LP tank having to be certified and was so glad I didn't just take her word for it. She even tried to scare me by saying that if we didn't get a new tank, we would be turned down when trying to get our tank filled.  :mad: What a swindler she is!!

The gasoline tank was near empty and the engine runs like a champ - so far! It's just a little loud, but sounds like a healthy 454.

~ Rhonda

John Hilley said:
They can replace the regulator without dumping the propane. What have you done about the batteries? I would carry a spare fuel filter, both for the chassis and the generator, could be a lot of rust in the tank.

The batteries are doing great. I don't know how old they are, but they can't be too old.  We bought a solar panel (18 watts) to trickle-charge them. DH just needs to install it. We plan to add more as funds allow...

I know exactly what you mean about being treated like a leper for owning an older RV.

I finally learned the hard way, to contact the independent repair places and mobile mechanics. Some of those guys are super handy and age doesn't scare them at all. If it does, then move along, they are in the wrong business.

Now I actually detour and re-plan my trips so that once or twice a year, I am close to my favorite repair people with my list of repairs, upgrades etc. I've detoured to go get something repaired by a trusted source, rather than use the local dealer that refuses to "repair" a thing, always insisting on replacement.

Some of the mobile mechanics have a shop at their home, some give you the option and some money savings by coming to their shop rather than having them come to you.

I completely  agree with everyone here... I bought a 1989 coachman 27 foot Rt everything looked like new fridge fine, stove new, there wasn't even a stain in the carpet....  Then black tank was full of 10 year old solids, water heater board fried, heater, well it came on but it no worky.. Don't know what to do with tank been keeping water and bacteria praying it will break down... BUT I think I going to have to go in after it...  But the ole bumper Thumper  looks brand new. Oh and I forgot to mention I gave $500.00 for it.. So far I dropped 750.00 into it for repairs so I don't think I hurt to bad... Other than the tank about got it completely done.....

We bought a 21 year old one.  I had a 2007 and sold it because the wind pushed me around to much.  Tom put on everything you could to minimize it, it did help but not enough.  I was about ready to give up on motorhoming.

So he finds this OLD 1992 American Eagle and we bought it.  We have had all kinds of issues we needed to fix and things we want to fix, we knew a lot of them and expected more that needed fixed, we have not been disappointed!!  ::)I cleaned the ceilings but when new AC's went in, it left a lot uncovered and doesn't look so good, going to see if I can find someone to clean it better.  I washed the front curtains and rehemmed them, only interior I've replaced is the bedspread and mattress so far.

I too had trouble finding someone to work on it, and independents are the way to go.  Most have been in the business for years and seen these old ones and know what to do.

I too had everything gone over, fluids changed. Had all new belts put on and most hoses, they convinced me some of them were fine and needed nothing. Changed all filters and they checked out everything. Had one hub oiler in front to be replaced and supposedly repacked I think it was and they were supposed to have done the back. We had genny issues and they fixed it, had a leak in something in the axle, don't remember now but they fixed it too.  Everyone, tire people and all keep telling me the tires are fine, but they are going on 8 years old and we can't see the dates on the inside dualies, don't like that.  Had 2 blow outs on my 2007, none of this so far. Tomorrow afternoon 2 front ones, a bit at a time.

I had some electrical issues that scared me, discussed it a lot on here at the time.  My tenant was something of an expert and he eliminated the inverter, I didn't want it and it was none working.  We hooked all that into the regular grid, put in a new, hum, can't think it of now but in the electrical, not ATS.  We thought it was bad and found the huge cable coming in was falling out.  Tom bought all new and replaced it. He also put in one of the power surge protector, wasn't cheap so he secured it in the electrical bay and plugged the ATS into it and attached the cord to it.  I see them chained up but we didn't want to do that.  I think it has saved my electrical system at least twice so far.  Also added a battery minder. Replaced all the shocks too.  And last year added an hour meter for the genny as the indash one does not work.

By the way we had issues with people knowing how to fill the propane tank, it wasn't bad, they just didn't know how because it was a very old style.  So last year in Florida Hubby told me get it fixed.  I took it in to a small shop, they put in the new hookup and tested and certified it and the thing is 21 years old, yep we had heard all the other stuff too.

Tom fixed the windshield washer switch, put in a Sirius radio.  We took off all the old rotten skylights and covers, recoated the roof with primer and liquid rubber after much research and MUCH work.  I put the skylights back on and new covers for the Fantastic fans.  Put in new AC units, one worked one didn't. New switch to power that stuff on and off in a cabinet, I did that, and wired in a new switch in the bathroom and new light fixture.  Put in 2 new lights in the back bedroom.  Also new insulating material all around the diesel engine, its also sound deadener. Tom put in new microwave/convection oven, found the exact fit.  Fixed a couple pieces on the pac brake.

We broke off the flood light on top, drat, didn't have our garage door high enough so took it off and it had worked. We may fix it one day but for now sealed up the place where it was removed.

Added 2 new TV's, and a satellite hookup, a new W/D that I LOVE.  When I tried the furnaces they wouldnt' work, found they were full of wasp nests, took me awhile to clean out then it works fine.  Thought we needed a new gas sniffer deal and ordered it found out the other works fine, sigh.

It's old and we know it but I like it and hubby doesn't mind working on it.  He is going to fix the generator fan motor this trip if we get it quick enough and also fix my air horn, Sue Anne wants it.  He is adding a button where we can just push instead of the other switch, he doesn't like it??

I do have to take it to get my front levelor repacked, he said he can't do that very easily.  He also fixed a tow hookup, it didn't have one.  Now has to fix my new car to be able to tow.

Yes, we have fixed a ton of stuff and I'm sure more will come up but I still like it and want to keep it.  So remember everytime you go you will probably find something that needs done on these old ones.  If you are handy can save a bundle if not, going to cost you a bundle! 

Now I need to wax it again, I put 4 and 5 coats on some of it a couple years ago, time to do again.

Hope to take off in January, time will tell.  Wish I could use it more often, maybe I will now we are finally moved.

Back
Top Bottom