Richmond Virginia RV Show Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chiwawamama

Did we find anything we were interested in - yes.  Did we make a purchase - no.  Why - because the sales people at this show weren't interested in selling their merchandise. 

I have never been to a show where you weren't followed around by a sales person.  The sales people were there, but were more interested in catching up with their co workers than actually trying to sell a unit.  We had so many questions that went unanswered because we couldn't get anyone's attention.  This was a small show and most of the units were smaller than what we were looking for, but we know from our research that the models do come in larger sizes.

At the Dodd RV area we saw a class A Coachman Mirada that we liked.  We liked the wrap couch and sectional chair in this unit and the bunk house.  The show price was too high, as I found the same unit elsewhere $12,000 cheaper.  We also had questions about how the couch chair piece slid out.  A Dodd rep was in the unit, but she didn't know anything and I mean she didn't know anything.  She couldn't figure out how to slide out the chair, told us the driver and passenger seats don't move and the best one......that the unit was made to be driven with the slides out!  So, I leave my husband with her and go out to the table where the other employees are and ask if someone could assist us with questions on the unit.  Without moving one sales guy says "what do you need to know?"  I just stared at him and said forget it.  I went and retrieved my husband and walking back towards the table I said.  "It is too bad you guys were to busy to help us, we have $150,000 to spend today and it won't be with you".  and we kept on walking.

We then went outside and saw a 5th wheel with the front living space.  Now we haven't been looking at fifth wheels because we have been told that we would need a big truck and that the tow equipment is very expensive ($3,000).  We haven't purchased a truck yet, because we aren't sure what we want.  I don't have the brochure in front of me, but this unit had a empty weight limit of 11,000 pounds.  We have been looking at the Ford 250 eco boost and my husband thought that the unit could be towed with that vehicle.  Again the sales people are gathered under a canopy talking.  I walk over and ask if we can get someone to assist us and one gentleman walks over to the unit with me.  While my husband is talking to him I am opening cabinets and looking things over.  I notice that the TV's are missing - like they were there and now they aren't.  One chair cushion had a slit in it that looked like it had been duct taped and there were scratches on one of the counters.  I asked the sales guy if the unit was new and he says it is new, that it has never been titled.  I point out things and he then says, that the unit was used on the lot to house customers when their units were in for repairs.  So I said - so it is used.  He then says no it has never left the lot and of course they would take care of any issues.  This unit was a 2013 and they wanted 42,000 show price.  I asked if the unit was generator ready and he laughs at me and tells me that if we need a generator run unit, we need to go to a class A or C.  My husband starts explaining things he has learned from this site and the sales guy tells us that since we already know everything, we should have a broker and he walks out of the unit.  My husband looks at me and says - I guess no one wants our money.

Anyway, we have reservations for two days in Hershey, PA next month for the big show.  I really hope there will be dealers there that want to sell their units.

Sorry for the bad experience. Keep looking and be sure to get what you want. The people that you talked to at that show would probably not have given you good service so it might have been best that you have eliminated  them before you spent your money. Get what you want from someone who wants your business.

Frank

WOW...

I guess that sums it up. You were a lot nicer than I would have been. I think I would have asked for a card, then right in front of them called and asked for the owner to complain about the lack of salesmen wanting to make them money.

I will bet that heads would be rolling right fast! :eek:

Then I would still have walked away.

We have business cards and my DH is going to send out a few emails tomorrow. 

I am a scheduler/manager for a number of mystery shopping companies and I think some of these dealers need to be shopped.  I am sure the manufactures wouldn't like knowing how well their products are being not sold either.

This was also a boat show and those salesmen were all over us when we approached a product. 

and the best one......that the unit was made to be driven with the slides out!

And this, dear readers, is why we keep telling people to do their homework and don't believe everything the RV dealers tell you.  That lady should be fired for ignorance.  Unbelievable!

ArdraF

I think she was a temp they hired to go inside the units and pass out brochures and answer basic questions.  She was probably someones sister or friend that needed a few bucks.

Back
Top Bottom