EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Floor of my Roadtrek is very hot  (Read 2444 times)

Nancyj345

• ---
Floor of my Roadtrek is very hot
« on: August 17, 2013, 07:25:03 AM »
I bought a 2004 Roadtrek Popular 170 in April with 52,000 miles.   Took my grandkids on a four day trip.  Noticed on the way home the floor in front of the bathroom was very hot.  By the time we got home it was so hot I could only hold my hand on it for about 30 seconds.  Called the Chevy dealer and they told me take it to a truck repair shop.  The mechanic looked at it and said it was missing a heat shield.  They can build a heat shield and install it for about $250.  Seems odd to me that a heat shield would not already be on there.  Does anyone know if this could be my problem.  The repair shop said they have worked on Roadtreks before so hopefully they know what they are talking about.

Thanks, Nancy from Nebraska

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
Re: Floor of my Roadtrek is very hot
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 07:31:28 AM »
There should be a heat shield over the exhaust pipe. If it is missing, the floor will get hot as you described.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

Nancyj345

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »
Thanks Joel

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 12:09:31 PM »
Unfortunately, modern exhaust systems get very hot and then cool off. The constant heating/cooling cycle often causes welds to break and the shields that were there originally  first start rattling and then, eventually, break off.

Simply have another one installed and your will be good to go!! Make sure they check the whole exhaust system for potential problems. Many GM trucks/cars have a heat shield protecting the starter and when it goes, the starter will eventually fail.
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Nancyj345

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »
Thank you

Nancyj345

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 09:33:42 PM »
I had emailed Roadtrek to ask about my issue.  Finally heard back from them.   They said it was most likely the catalytic converter.  Said they last only about five years.  I have had a new heat shield put on.  Would the mechanic check the catalytic converter when he originally looked at the RV?  Thanks for your help. 

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 09:49:03 AM »
If you had asked them to check the whole system when having it repaired then yes, otherwise maybe. The catalytic converter is part of the exhaust system just as the muffler is (and, in most cases, looks like a muffler too!!).
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

driftless shifter

• ---
  • A Luddite with a stupid phone
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:56:30 AM »
BS on catalytic converter 5 year life span. I believe emission components have a federally mandated 10 year or 100K warranty.

Bill
Bill & Nan
(o\_!_/o)
93 bounder 34, chevy chassis
couple of aircooled vw's, 1 fast(sold), 1 reliable(sold).  Dubless : (
USN '76-'80, 1 boat, USS Blandy, DD 943.
I'm an analog guy in a digital age.

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 08:55:47 PM »
The truck repair shop who has actually SEEN your van is going to be more accurate than an e-mail from Roadtrek.  They are just throwing out suggestions from their manual, and it sounds like they don't really understand your problem.  I can't quite see how a bad catalytic converter would cause excessive heat under your bathroom floor.  The missing heat shield scenario sounds much more plausible.  You could call around to some muffler shops in your area for a quote on that service also.  If it makes you feel better, they'd be able to test your catalytic converter also.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

Hosted by Over The Network