Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've been getting the itch to don my waders, tie a few flies and go fly fishing. Having just watched a great program on fly fishing Yellowstone, the itch just became much more dominant.

We visited West Yellowstone a couple of years ago in August and decided we wouldn't even try to enter the park - way too many visitors and lots of kids. The program I watched said that West Yellowstone's population "swells" from a norm of 1,000 to 1,500 in peak season. This doesn't sound right to me - seems way too low by at least an order of magnitude.

The video of the guy fishing the Yellowstone and the Firehole had no other fisherfolk in sight. Is this what I could expect? Or should I plan on wall-to-wall fly casters?

I know that Grizly RV Park is a favorite location of forumites (they had no openings when we were there) and the West Yellowstone KOA was an outright zoo and a ripoff when we stayed there. Any other campgrounds convenient to the park?

Do folks drive their cars into the park, or are you limited to public transport?

TIA.

We used to live near Yellowstone and never considered going there until after Labor day. It is really nice then, after the tourists have left. Millions a year visit there and that is mostly in the summer...although they have some winter visitors for snowmobiling and skiing. So the numbers that were mentioned seem way off.

I know there are some restricted areas where you can't fish. Fishing bridge I think is one. There are nice fishing spots outside Yellowstone Park. ...

Thanks for that info. Sounds like after Labor Day is the key.

Tom,
I will let you know how it is at Yellowstone Fishing Bridge especially the fishing for you. Hopefully the trees won't be any problems. They told me Fishing Bridge is the only place in Yellowstone East Entrance that has accomodations for Big Rigs up to 40', all camping at Fishing Bridge is hard sided camping due to bear activity. We will be there the end of May thru first of June so hopefully the crowds will be down some.
Spaces are limited and someone posted elsewhere that it is tight between sites.
It is a long ways off but I do plan on keeping a journal of our trip with photos and will post our journal here in the forum.

Thanks for all your advice.

Colleen

Thanks Colleen. I'm looking forward to your report.

Tom said:
I've been getting the itch to don my waders, tie a few flies and go fly fishing. Having just watched a great program on fly fishing Yellowstone, the itch just became much more dominant.

We visited West Yellowstone a couple of years ago in August and decided we wouldn't even try to enter the park - way too many visitors and lots of kids. The program I watched said that West Yellowstone's population "swells" from a norm of 1,000 to 1,500 in peak season. This doesn't sound right to me - seems way too low by at least an order of magnitude.

The video of the guy fishing the Yellowstone and the Firehole had no other fisherfolk in sight. Is this what I could expect? Or should I plan on wall-to-wall fly casters?

I know that Grizly RV Park is a favorite location of forumites (they had no openings when we were there) and the West Yellowstone KOA was an outright zoo and a ripoff when we stayed there. Any other campgrounds convenient to the park?

Do folks drive their cars into the park, or are you limited to public transport?

TIA.

Tom - just left Yellowstone last week after a month stay. Usually stay several months and to end of September but had to leave early for business this year. I would not call it crowded and certainly not for fishing.  The park is drivable everywhere by car - no need for public transportation. I drove over there nearly every day doing my thing and never had any time when speed limit wasn't attainable on the roads. I stay at Yellowstone Edge RV Park which is 35 miles north of the north entrance and sits right on Yellowstone's edge as it says.  A fair number of fly fisherman stay there year after year and fish the streams nearby as well as up and down the Yellowstone along route 89 where many state fishing spots are located along the river or right from bank along RV park. One 80 year old gentleman by the name of Bud comes there every year and knows the entire area intimately. If you should happen to go there be sure and ask to talk to Bud and even go with him to streams. He fishes from early morning to night every day and loves to do it with others. He took two of my grand children (13/14) fly fishing this year and taught them the techniques; they caught a lot and really enjoyed it.  Closer to Yellowstone itself is one just north of Gardner at north entrance. Back in Yellowstone, I see a fair number of large RV's dry camping at Mammoth Springs CG; it looks a little tight but obviously doable. 

Leo,

Thank you very much for that info. Much appreciated.

Personally I do NOT recommend staying in the parksince I would NEVER stay in the park myself.  Leo has provided an excellent option. Fishing in that area is excellent.  I would recommend staying in the area Leo mentioned or in Cody or West Yellowstone.  But then I would never try to go fishing instide the Park either since there is much better fishing available outside the park.

Tom,

We stayed at Yellowstone's Edge about 5 years ago and loved it.  I have included a link to their website in case you haven't checked it out yet.  However, I warn you when you see the fishing pictures, you will want to hop into the RV and head for the park immediately!!

http://www.mtrv.com/

Thanks for that link. You were right - where's the keys for the coach!

After looking at their website again, I am longing to go back.  Can't this year but will probably try to be at Yellowstone's Edge for a month next year.

I've stayed at Henry Lake State park in Idaho, fifteen miles from Yellowstone. Not a bad place; can fish right there, had a moose come by the campground one evening. Very open, trees are still small.  Check out http://www.idahoparks.org/parks/henryslake.aspx for more info.

Lot cheaper than anything in West Yellowstone.

Al:

In late June we used US16 to US285 up to Deadwood, route 85 to I-90 to Buffalo and then back on US16 over the Little Big Horns to US 14 to Cody and into the Park. We came out at West Yellowstone and went north to I-90 on route 191 which is a good road.

Hi,

I just joined this site a few days ago. I bought an old 16 ft Aristocraft TT and we are planning on making a trip to Yellowstone sometime this year or next. I am new to the RV seen and through reading posts on this site, I have found that alot of parks do not allow rigs over 10 years old. Is there a park near/around Yellowstone that will let me in? We have been remodeling the trailer and it has fresh paint inside and out but is has its share of dings being 40 years old. It was cheap but what I can afford right now and the wife got the RV bug while we were at an RV and boat show. She got the boat bug when I bought an old runabout from a co-worker and as soon as she got in the boat, she wants to do more outside like camp and fish. I have tried to get her to do these things for several years but the boat help get her started.

US16 should be OK.  Been a few years since we have been on it.  The road to avoid with the motorhome is 14 or 14alt between Sheridan and Lovell.  Unless of course you like very steep winding narrow roads or feel like taking on the challenge of OH MY GOD HILL on 14A.

You going to make it by Sam's Camp here in Lewistown, Mt?

Well, crazyinkc I'm not sure many parks really enforce that restriction. Consider your RV an antique historical vehicle:) I think a lot of the parks that have the restriction use it to selectively enforce who can camp there. Sometimes the question comes up and the registrar just needs an answer to put on paper. I know several folks with older Rv's that just answer 8 years or another good number and never have been denied entry.......There is a pecking order amongst the Rv crowd, just as in any other type of housing.

Al,

You don't know what you're missing at Sam's Camp. You've met Ron & Sam and know how nice these folks are, but wait until you find out what great hosts they are!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom