EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: One Second After  (Read 7331 times)

Maddie

• ---
One Second After
« on: August 18, 2013, 06:04:17 PM »
Totally different kind of thread, but I wonder if any of you have read this book?  It's SciFi but in a novel involving a family outside of Asheville (my backyard).

If you ever thought of being a 'Prepper' this will get you thinking harder about it.  Won't give the plot away, but if you've read it you know where I'm going here.  Would love to hear back.
NC Foothills Workkamper
'14 Bounder 35K
'10 Wrangler Toad
Husband Fred, and 2 Border Collies

Maddie

• ---
Re: One Second After
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 07:44:24 PM »
Am I totally out of line here just talking about a book? Can't believe 115 people viewed and have no comment. Never had that happen before. It's not a bad book, it just makes you think and I would think most people 0f our genre would think. If you have something negative to say, say it.
NC Foothills Workkamper
'14 Bounder 35K
'10 Wrangler Toad

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:23 PM »
Maddie, I think many people here view most new threads.
Not out of line at all. But I'd need to read the book or know what it's about to make any sort of worthwhile comment.
Sorry.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:34:22 PM »
My guess is that most folks... Like me.. Have not read the book and thus have no coment.

So many books... So little time.. by the time I finish all the backlog in my Kindle apps... Theory has it I will no longer be  (Though that said,, I do read fast)  I could (if I forgot the internet for a while) clean up the backlong in 3-7 years based on the book count and reading 1 a day)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 06:16:53 AM »
Hi Maddie,

Sounds like an excellent book. Right down my alley. Will give it a read and report back  here if we don't get an emp before hand!
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

Maddie

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 06:27:17 AM »
Good one, Al!

I guess it hasn't got much press. I think I heard about it on Limbaugh's show and got curious. Apparently it is a book that has circulated Congress, although I'd rather they read the bills they sign first. :-\
NC Foothills Workkamper
'14 Bounder 35K
'10 Wrangler Toad

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:10:12 AM »
I guess you haven't gotten too many responses from people who have read the book, well here is one from someone who has. Very thought revoking and actually quite scarey. I actually think that this kind of situation could happen, maybe not the same as but quite close to. I'm glad that I read the book but I have to admit it gave me a few sleepless nights after I had finished it....Alan

Maddie

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 06:51:37 PM »
Yes, Alan, I agree. I'm still only 3/4 through because sometimes I have to put it down. But it's very well written in a novel form, don't you think? I think one of the most startling message it conveys is how dependent/spoiled by all the communication we have. And how lost we would be if it was suddenly taken away. But there's just so much in there that we never think about on a day to day basis.
I didn't have sleepless nights, but it just gives you a different way of thinking about things. I particularly liked the line that when people are in crisis they have an instinct to head for the hills. I think that would be true for me.
Thanks for the feedback, makes me feel a little less odd for bringing it up.
NC Foothills Workkamper
'14 Bounder 35K
'10 Wrangler Toad

K9RVH

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 09:24:16 AM »
Great story and well told, but I read the first edition of the book and could not get past the horrible grammar mistakes.  Hopefully, the editors have fixed those in subsequent editions.
I'm speaking of the use of "could of", "would of", "should of" instead of the correct "could have", "would have", "should have", etc.  I don't know why, but that particular mistake makes me want to chuck the book at the author's head.

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
There are things you can do if you are concerned and want to do something to protect yourself.  Google "survive", "Prepper", "survival", etc.  Lots of information as well as "scare" stuff so be careful.

Old vacuum tube radios will work as will the old fashioned phones, although I am concerned about the "tone" ones as they have electronics in them.  Many electronics items may not be affected IF they are in metal cases and the case is grounded.  It is a crapshoot though in those cases.  Pun intended!    :)
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 11:30:38 PM »
I was on a prepper site for awhile, practically got ran off.  They are all for the constitution and free speech till you have some thoughts differing from them.  Sadly what I see from a lot of them is they are ready to start shooting and think that most people are their enemies after their preps.  I don't want to live in fear and paranoia.  I mean some of those folks are scarey.

But having said that, I imagine the book is good.  I do fear economic collapse like in 2008.  I think we just propped it up and did nothing to fix it.  Sure hope I'm wrong.  In the meantime, I have lots of everything stashed away.

PancakeBill

• ---
  • Bill & Jolene/USA 97 Southwind 35P
    • WorKamping in Yellowstone
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 11:37:37 PM »
I'll see if I can get it on my ipad, then again, kind of ironic reading a book as I surmise, about lack of electronics on an electronic device.  As Jim mentions, vacuum tubes and there will be Ham radio ops out there to reestablish comms.  After 9/11 we were the first to get comms going for fire and police.  I was on a list to go, but the comm companies did a good job reestablishing.  I was supposed to go that weekend. 

Want to help prep yourself, get your license and some vintage ham gear and learn how to use it, how to erect a simple wire antenna.

Yup, ebook available, bought, will download in a minute.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 11:40:46 PM by PancakeBill »
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

Old Faithful, Yellowstone Association Bookstore
1997 Southwind 35P
Toads: 1997 Honda Accord & 1986 Westfalia
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 02:21:10 AM »
Hi Maddie, Pancakebill and all,

While I am not a prepper, after the hurricanes down south, I felt the need to put some things together in order to get my family and I through a couple of months. After that time things should be fixed or more survivalable. I think people often are under the illusion that the government will come rescue them and that is simply not the case.

Tube radios and ham outfits are of great help and importance, to get needed information. Also when people are desperate, they can do some inhumane things. During emergencies, police and officials will be busy and unable to protect you for hours at a time or days. Some means of protection are essential.

A RV might be considered a prepping device as it is something that can be lived in if you have to move away from your area for a short time. In short everyone should take this stuff seriously and have a means to get by without help for a short time. Better to have it available than to be caught off guard and in need.
CamperAL (Indiana)

Maddie

• ---
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 05:00:37 AM »
Great, Bill, let me know your thoughts when you get a chance to delve into it.

Al, I remember the comment from someone after Katrina:  people always want to horde gold, but after something like that no one wants gold,  they want food and water.

I guess a RV would be certainly better than nothing, but as stated in the book when all electronics are shut down, no vehicle made after 1980 would run because they are all computers on wheels.  The generator could be used, however, in the book it talks about how generators in hospitals and NH's wouldn't work either although I can't remember why.  Need to go back and read that part again.
NC Foothills Workkamper
'14 Bounder 35K
'10 Wrangler Toad

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 08:43:15 AM »
One thing preppers, survivalists and really anyone would need in one of these scenarios is a means of defense.  I am guessing the book may go into that.  I started reading last night, just into the birthday.  It was late.

We are sort of preppers, in that we are snowed in all winter, so we have a vast pantry which we maintain.  Of course an EMP would destroy our freezers, making for an initial great BBQ. 

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

K9RVH

• ---
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 12:18:32 PM »

Al, I remember the comment from someone after Katrina:  people always want to horde gold, but after something like that no one wants gold,  they want food and water.

One thing that always missing from prepper's lists:  Toilet Paper!

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 05:51:47 PM »
I guess a RV would be certainly better than nothing, but as stated in the book when all electronics are shut down, no vehicle made after 1980 would run because they are all computers on wheels.  The generator could be used, however, in the book it talks about how generators in hospitals and NH's wouldn't work either although I can't remember why.  Need to go back and read that part again.

Most if not all recent generators are controlled by "ELECTRONICS" so they would not work.  There are ways IF someone knows how to do it but I'm not sure very many could make the changes needed to go back to mechanical control. 
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 07:03:26 PM »
TP on prepper list, there just not mentioned.

Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

K9RVH

• ---
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »
The thing that woke me up the most in that book was considering how many people are dependant on medications.  I feel fortunate that DW and I are in good health.

73s de K9RVH

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 12:11:37 AM »
Of course an EMP would destroy our freezers, making for an initial great BBQ.

Greetings, I've thought about that (since I have a freezer). What I think you would have to do, is fire up the oven and make a lot of jerky..........that is after the really great BBQ. Best!
CamperAL (Indiana)

jerrydiver

• ---
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 03:36:16 PM »
Yes, Maddie, I've read it.  Of all the 'doomsday' scenarios that are realistically possible, this is one of the scariest.  While I had long been aware of the effects of an 'EMP'-emitting burst, I had never really had my imagination tweaked as to the ramifications for a society so totally dependent upon grid-supplied electrical power and upon our electrically-driven devices.  Some people think their best chance of survival is in being well armed and capable of violence; some think good negotiation skills, mental resilience and a good horse will be most useful.  I can be entertained all evening around a campfire just hearing everybody's ideas how to get by til they can raise their kids to take their places as adults in that new world.

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 08:21:10 PM »
I have read it and it is a great book.

I have also read "Earth Abides"  and "Malevil"  both are older books 60's or so and worth the search if you can find them.
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

2003 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Dually 7.3 Diesel
2008 34' Sunny Brook, Brookside

Maddie

• ---
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 07:45:32 PM »
Yes, Jerry, one of the biggest 'aha' moments was how the EMP started supposedly, (as the people don't know at this point since they have no communication), by our enemies as they decided the best way to get to Americans is not onesy twosy nukes that we feel at least most of us would survive and then annihilate them, but take out all electronics/electricity that we are so spoiled by. Then we would eventually destroy each other.

Another interesting thing is that I have recommended this book to coworkers and even a prepper, and they kind of nod and say "oh, really?".  As they carefully back away. I don't present it as a doomsday thing but as an interesting book about what and how much we truly are dependent on for everyday life.  I probably would have backed away, too, a few years ago. But there has been created such a division of entitlists as never before, I felt this was more of concern than in our past.
NC Foothills Workkamper
'14 Bounder 35K
'10 Wrangler Toad

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 07:58:22 PM »
You would probably also enjoy Cyberstorm by Matthew Mather.  It's available from Amazon at this page.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 11:47:41 PM »
Greetings, I've thought about that (since I have a freezer). What I think you would have to do, is fire up the oven and make a lot of jerky..........that is after the really great BBQ. Best!

And what kind of fuel does your oven require??  Electricity is not available so my gas oven won't work if I even have gas.  Coal or wood burning would work if you have one of those old timers.  It gets real interesting once you start thinking about the situation.  No electricity, gas, gasoline, diesel or ??? as they all require pumping stations, vehicle or other transport.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Maddie

• ---
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 07:31:07 AM »
Ned, thanks, I'll check into that.

Jim, those that knew how to do things such as drying meat and fruit were highly prized. The community was highly guarded against intruders. However, people such as linemen who remembered how to string telephone lines, those that knew how to rig an old-fashioned generator (that's how they eventually got gas out of pump stations), doctors, nurses, of course, were let in. Farmers who knew how to grow something from nothing, and of course Nam and Gulf War vets whom had done combat were highly regarded.

Someone such as myself, with no particular skill set (unless you want to trade stocks and bonds, which for some reason I don't think would be a high priority) would be kept out to fend for ourselves. Really gets you to thinking how useless some of us are in a situation like that.
NC Foothills Workkamper
'14 Bounder 35K
'10 Wrangler Toad

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »
Maddie,

The neighborhood I live in is complete with a couple of electrical engineers, I'm one of them, construction inspector, electronics repair and cable tech, as well as several other talented people, mechanics, and do it yourselfers.  In addition many of us have RVs, we all are on wells and septic systems, several have serious gardens and there  are several talented seamstresses/crafters.  Several of us are excellent hunters and there a also a couple of fisher people with an excellent trout stream within a mile of the house.  In our tract is also the kitchen supervisor for the county jail and a deputy sheriff.  many of the local sheriffs live within a mile as well as several Highway patrol officers.  It is an interesting area that also includes several Doctors and nurses.

The area we live in is essentially rural and all of us have 1/2 acre or larger lots so there is room for large gardens.

After all that we are still concerned about the potential for having to rely on ourselves for a long period of time
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Maddie

• ---
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 08:41:59 AM »
Jim, can I move into your neighborhood?  Just kidding, I'm sure there is a lot of talent here, too, being a rural retirement horse community.  This subject is just something you don't want to bring up to just anybody, being akin to the UFO sighting you had last night.
NC Foothills Workkamper
'14 Bounder 35K
'10 Wrangler Toad

jerrydiver

• ---
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2013, 12:07:06 AM »
I read it a coupla years back, but had been exposed to the theory before; way back in the late 70's when I worked with an outfit that tried to predict some environmental effects of various nuclear scenarios.  Not very cheery work, as you may imagine.
EMP is very real, but the effects have been somewhat overstated for dramatic effect.  It would have a tremendously destabilizing effect on our lives, but the likelihood of it killing every vehicle with electronic ignition is extremely remote.
Anyway, let's all hope we never find out.

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2013, 12:32:39 AM »
If good practice was followed, you are right, EMP is survivable.  Back in Desert storm our military found that the static in the desert disabled their electronics, especially radios.  I also worked with EMP protection back in the mid to late 60s and then later in the 70 with lightning protection for Space shuttle.  Both are interesting and dangerous.

I am concerned for most modern autos and many appliances as my Ham gear affects many of them.  100 watts of RF at some frequencies cause "interesting" effects. 
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 01:11:25 AM »
And what kind of fuel does your oven require??  Electricity is not available so my gas oven won't work if I even have gas.  Coal or wood burning would work if you have one of those old timers.  It gets real interesting once you start thinking about the situation.  No electricity, gas, gasoline, diesel or ??? as they all require pumping stations, vehicle or other transport.

Hi Jim and all,

We have propane and the oven doesn't need any electric to work. Until we would run out of L.P. we could make jerky.
BTW, we have cooked with the oven during power failers before. Best!
CamperAL (Indiana)

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 08:42:29 AM »
Farnum's(sp?) Freehold by Heinlein may be the prototype for these novels. Certainly worth a read.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Almost right, Ernie: Farnham's Freehold

An excellent read, and it's a rather odd (if you've not thought about it) twist.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 07:39:03 AM »
It's been a long time; may be time to reread. :)

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

1275gtsport

• ---
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 09:44:49 AM »
Any body want to lend me the ebook (epub) when you have finished reading it?

sounds like a good read.

1977 GMC 26 foot Palm Beach
1976 Austin Mini

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 11:23:12 AM »
I have  a friend and mentor (He was my instructor for the last class I took in Ham Radio,, I graduated early and now.. Well, I can no longer upgrade my Ham license (The one I have is as good as they get :) ).

He worked for Chrysler and one of his jobs was testing cars by installing radios.

Imagine the poor police officer  he is driving down the freewya 10mph over the speed lmit when some jerk flys past him like he was in PARK.. He hits the gas, Keys the transmitter "Dispatch, this is Adam Twelve, I'm in pursuit of a .. And the engine in his patrol car sputters and dies from RFI to the computer) Unit number from TV show of same name).

That was Tom's job, to make sure that did NOT happen.. Like me Tom is licensed for 1,000 watts and that's what they tested at. (2,000 peak envelope power)

PancakeBill

• ---
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »
Worked with a guy that had an RF sensitive car alarm.  I got good laughs out of keying up my 2m mobile (30 watts) to finish a conversation when pulling into the parking lot. 
Bill & Jolene W & Koda

1997 Southwind 35P
FMCA F-401354
1995 OMI Dobro F-60
WA1RI

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 06:33:50 PM »
Remember the Cadillac with the 8-6-4 engine that change the number of cylinders depending on speed and load.  One of the secretaries had one and I passed her on my way to work talking on my radio.  Cadillac provided her with a new engine and modified the electronics on some cars.  I have gotten at least one parks WIFI receiver when I overloaded the front end, no filtering in that one.
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 10:44:02 AM »
Funny I saw this and last night just read that N Korea got equipment from Russia and are working on EMP development to disrupt all the stuff in S Korea.  That's the kind of stuff, communications, my son is responsible with in the military, he is DOD.  He does not talk about any of it, is considered essential personnel and is supplied with uniforms and a sidearm in case anything happens over there, I guess he becomes a part of the military again somehow, not sure about how that works.  I hope they have developed things to detect and thwart it.  That now is one of the situations preppers dread is an EMP event.  From what I've read that is scary we are sure putting all our eggs in one basket.

I have freezers full but I can can all the food long as my propane holds out.  Tom got my new propane stove in for me.  The electronic lighters won't work so use a match if  you don't have electric.  I would can everything I could till the propane is gone so we could still have lots of food back.  I'm sort of a semi prepper anyway so have anything and everything back.  We are in a tiny community too and a bit isolated, one of the reasons we are here too.  And everyone knows everyone else.  After seeing the results of that massive hurricane in New Orleans and they were clear over to us it really got me to thinking.  I wanted out of there and we succeeded.  Tom and I could survive for a long time if we were no threatened by others or required to feed more then ourselves but I'm sure most people don't have back the quantities of food and supplies we do.

I get a kick out of the prepper sites, some talk about things to keep their kids entertained, they obviously did not grow up like me.  They would find in short order that is the least of their problems.  If we truly went back in time they would find likely 80 to 90% of their time would be required to hunt, cook, prepare for winter, garden, can, sew, to just survive and most would never make it.  They would need the kids labor to help make it.  I started canning about age 10 or so and in a couple years could do it by myself.  They just have no idea.  I hope it never happens, I grew up doing all that kind of work and remember it well I hope I don't have to do it again at the age we are getting.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 10:58:50 AM »
When I built the house in WA state, due to a couple of factors we wound up putting the electric meter on the wellhouse, then going underground from there another 200 ft. to the main house. 

Inside the wellhouse I put a 36" x 36" electrical box and made a surge suppressor of sorts by coiling the primary cables and passing them through ferrite cores.  Then the wiring went through the generator transfer panel, etc. before proceeding to the house.

If nothing else, the loops and ferrite should dampen a fast rise time EMP pulse a bit before it gets into the house's electrical panel.

The well pump was fed via a separate cable coming back from the house.  This was so I could power it from the motorhome generator which we connected to the house panel before we got the big generator and transfer panel (surplus from the radio station where I used to work).

That house was a pretty good hunker down place.  Located on a rural island with only one bridge on or off, which passed next to the county's Emergency Operations Center (sheriff's station).  Whenever there was suspicious activity on the island, the sheriff would simply sit by the bridge and wait for the suspect.  Self sufficient except for incoming electricity and that was backed up by generator.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:08:48 AM by Lou Schneider »

Northern Rambler

• ---
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »

sounds like a good read.

You can find it here  (( One Second After.pdf - yimg.com )) for free . If the link doesn't work just Google it .

Bill
Bill & Ruby , Milo (Cat) Prince (Sheltie)
1988 Vanguard 24',2014 Ford Focus Titanium , Blue Ox base plate ,Commander Tow Bar with adapters  , Protect-A-Tow 1952 Fargo Power Wagon  plow truck , 2000 Chevy Blazer SUV plow truck , 2012 F 150 SuperCrew 4X4

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 12:17:39 PM »
Well, Maddie. You are up to 40 replies now. How about that! Its been an interesting thread. Thanks.

Stan
05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

1275gtsport

• ---
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 01:28:35 PM »
You can find it here  (( One Second After.pdf - yimg.com )) for free . If the link doesn't work just Google it .

Bill

Thanks bill! I tried to find it on google but kept downloading bad things not just a book  :o
1976 Austin Mini

Northern Rambler

• ---
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 04:15:27 PM »
Thanks bill! I tried to find it on google but kept downloading bad things not just a book  :o

Sorry about that . I should have been clearer . Google   one second after pfd .   When the page comes up it will have (( [ PFD ]  One Second After.pdf - yimg.com )) at the top of it . When you click on it , it will go to the box in your computer asking you where you want to download it . I clicked on my documents and clicked save .    I am running windows xp and have trend micro as my security and it downloaded no problem .
I dont know if this is the whole book but it sure gives a person good reading . I am about halfway through it

I hope this helps Bill

Bill & Ruby , Milo (Cat) Prince (Sheltie)
1988 Vanguard 24',2014 Ford Focus Titanium , Blue Ox base plate ,Commander Tow Bar with adapters  , Protect-A-Tow 1952 Fargo Power Wagon  plow truck , 2000 Chevy Blazer SUV plow truck , 2012 F 150 SuperCrew 4X4

1275gtsport

• ---
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2013, 08:02:43 AM »
No no Bill it is I that should have been clearer. when I searched google on my own I was just hitting spam like sites and sites that needed login info or pdf's that were free but needed a password to open (that you had to buy)
I even tried to find it at my local library, online. they had the audio book.

the link you posted works just fine. I just copied and pasted and was able to download and read the pdf. (at least test to make sure it opened.)

I have been on pain killers the last couple of days due to a medical condition, so sometimes what I type seems clear and straight forward to me :) but  may not be understandable by others. I usually just don't post during the pain times but I really wanted to read this book.

adding it to my kobo now.

thanks again.
1976 Austin Mini

Maddie

• ---
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, and yes, it is ironic to read about EMP on an ebook.  But I had to laugh at myself the other night.  I was grumbling mightily to my husband on how we were paying $248 a month for all the Verizon communications we were addicted to.  I WAS GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!  So what do I do?  I go to the internet to investigate....... duh.
NC Foothills Workkamper
'14 Bounder 35K
'10 Wrangler Toad

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2013, 05:46:30 PM »

sounds like a good read.

My copy is paper -- I've had it since long before ebooks. You were talking about Farnham's Freehold?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 05:50:33 PM by Larry N. »
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback, and yes, it is ironic to read about EMP on an ebook.  But I had to laugh at myself the other night.  I was grumbling mightily to my husband on how we were paying $248 a month for all the Verizon communications we were addicted to.  I WAS GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!  So what do I do?  I go to the internet to investigate....... duh.
Tmobile has a plan that offers unlimited voice text and web for $70 per month. You can add a hot spot for $30 per month.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

Maddie

• ---
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2013, 09:21:09 AM »
Stan, thanks, it took a while but have enjoyed the feedback.

Seiler, I'll look into to Tmobile but because I live in the sticks Verizon has a pretty much lock in the area.
NC Foothills Workkamper
'14 Bounder 35K
'10 Wrangler Toad

1275gtsport

• ---
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »
My copy is paper -- I've had it since long before ebooks. You were talking about Farnham's Freehold?
nope I was talking about he one second after book the thread was kind of about. The Farnham's Freehold might be a good read too will have to see if  I can download that. If not I may have to go to the local Library and borrow a paper copy.

I just finished the One Second After. good book thought provoking.
1976 Austin Mini

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2013, 11:02:55 AM »
We are in the sticks too, but somehow live next to a secondary highway that has fiber optic cables running down it.  We get Frontier
phone service and internet for $110 a month and its excellent service, better then it was in Houston.  Been here almost a year and not 1 outage I've had to call on who knew.

But we have Dish and the weather effects it but it does come back on pretty quick and come to think of it only had to call them once when we first came here to change something as each cable box hooks up 2 places and had to have that change. I think its close to $130 so sounds like ours is about as much as yours.  I know this is a luxury but it sure is a nice one to have.  All this keeps me connected to the world even way out here where cellphones don't work!

But I can tell you if anything ever did go badly wrong this is sure the place to be.  We have lots of expertise around here too, only thing most of us are getting up in years.  The young people around here know squat about surviving that is.  Guess they would have to learn pretty quick, I fear though it would be by taking from folks like us if they can.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:05:04 AM by PatrioticStabilist »

Maddie

• ---
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2013, 02:40:42 PM »
Hi Carolyn,
Sticks, also, but we have a HUMONHGOUS Facebook "factory"? building about 20 miles from here.  Supposedly there are more fiber optic cables running thru these sticks than anywhere in the SE.  So really strange. I mean these buildings are about ten acres each and it looks like three of them.  For Facebook, which is basically ether-land, I don't understand it.  Any computer geeks want to lambast or even comment on my question?  I'm open to learning.
NC Foothills Workkamper
'14 Bounder 35K
'10 Wrangler Toad

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2013, 08:39:12 PM »
You don't do a FB sized project on a couple of dozen servers. Enough servers for the kind of traffic FB has take a lot of space, not to mention cooling, heating, offices, maybe a cafeteria, emergency power, spare parts, future expansion, perhaps vehicle garage built in, perhaps emergency shelters for folks who work there, and who knows what else. I suspect I've only scratched the surface.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2013, 08:55:17 PM »
According to this article Facebook may be running as many as 217,080 servers.  And this article is over a year old. 
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Dara

• ---
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2017, 10:10:31 AM »
I'm restarting this discussion.   Now that North Korea is becoming a more critical threat with its missile testing, its nuclear obsession and EMP capabilities, i think it's important to be prepared for the worst.

Questions i have:  Is an RV a safe place to be should there be nuclear fallout winds blown into the US from the tradewinds.  Most gov't sites say that during fallout being indoors is safest; inside buildings and homes with basements the best.  Cars are not safe.  Where would an RV be on this list?  i guess if it is sealed up tightly it might be, obviously depending on where you are in comparison to the ground zero.

Would life be sustainable in an RV for a while if you traveled to a safe location? 
Travel Adventurer, Motorcycle Enthusiast, Vegan Cat lover and KW agent
2012 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew 3.5L Ecoboost
2002 Honda CBR600F4i

prfcdoc

• ---
  • Happy to be alive!
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2017, 11:09:03 AM »
I think an RV would generally be even less safe than a car due to the wall construction. Unless, of course, you have lead walls on your RV.😉
Bob
Bob & Kathy
Saving and researching for our future extended road trip.
2017 F350, Diesel
5th wheel TBD

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2017, 11:32:55 AM »
In the Navy, we were taught there were four types of radiation, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Neutron.
We were taught to hold the Alpha in your hand, as it won't penetrate the skin. You put the Beta in your pocket because it won't penetrate your clothing. You eat the gamma, as it won't cause that much damage to your cells. You throw the Neutron away from you, as that is the one that will do the most damage. The first two, an RV would probably be ok, and maybe even stop some of the third. Neutrons are a different story, an RV won't help there.
Either way, I'm not running around wearing a tin-foil hat worrying about it. What will be, will be. There isn't enough truly safe places for all of us, and being I live on flat land on the East coast, any place here would probably become so contaminated with fall-out, it really wouldn't matter where I hide.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

rubanr

• ---
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2017, 11:54:17 AM »
I read it and the second book and loved it.  The third and final book comes out this fall I believe and looking forward to it.
Gunner's Mate - USN 89-94 and proud of it :-)
2016 Wolf Pup 17RP mini toy hauler, 2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 HD Duramax
Home Base = Cumming, GA

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2017, 02:05:55 PM »
In the Navy, we were taught there were four types of radiation, Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Neutron.
We were taught to hold the Alpha in your hand, as it won't penetrate the skin. You put the Beta in your pocket because it won't penetrate your clothing. You eat the gamma, as it won't cause that much damage to your cells. You throw the Neutron away from you, as that is the one that will do the most damage. The first two, an RV would probably be ok, and maybe even stop some of the third. Neutrons are a different story, an RV won't help there.
Either way, I'm not running around wearing a tin-foil hat worrying about it. What will be, will be. There isn't enough truly safe places for all of us, and being I live on flat land on the East coast, any place here would probably become so contaminated with fall-out, it really wouldn't matter where I hide.

8) 8) 8) A few years ago,  I built a larger addition on to our cabin.  Completely lined with double aluminum foil faced bubble wrap radiant barrier to stop radiant heat loss or gain.  Then put in Metal coated triple glass windows too.  Then sided and roofed the whole thing with Galvalume Steel Pole Barn steel.

Now I was doing all this for energy conservation and easy maintenance, but now it looks like when the balloon goes up I will be protected from  Kim Jong Dumb too. 

Who would of thunk it. 8) 8) 8)
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2017, 02:46:48 PM »
 :))

(just had to try the thumbs up)
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2017, 07:33:33 PM »
I have read it and it is a great book.

I have also read "Earth Abides"  and "Malevil"  both are older books 60's or so and worth the search if you can find them.

Earth Abides is a great book.  I've read it several times.  Almost as many times as Catch-22.
Retired computer professional
Musician, songwriter and music director
2006 Bounder 34H, 2008 CR-V Toad

Fyrediver

• ---
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2017, 09:37:27 PM »
That's a pretty good book.  I AM a prepper.  Grew up as a Boy Scout and Army brat.  Lots of exposure to what can go wrong in peoples lives as a firefighter too. 

My sister hasn't been one to REALLY embrace prepping (unlike her husband and brothers) but after reading this she's fully on board.  It is realistic and feasible which isn't a good combination if you're wandering through life unaware then get woken up by this dreadful concept.

I know my MH won't be as good as an underground shelter in the SHTF scenarios but I can't live every minute dedicated to every possible doomsday scenario.  There are many other more likely scenarios like the 2008 housing crash and subsequent economic implosion, personal injuries, severe weather, civil unrest, etc.  I try to prep for the most likely events based on where I live and am traveling.  I'm pretty self contained in the MH provided they don't set off the EMP!  True I don't have a farm and windmill but those are risks I'm willing to live with. 

We're starting full timing which certainly limits what can be carried but I'm making due with what I can manage.  Resupply will be an issue but we'll figure it out.  Any suggestions from more experienced preppers that full time?

1993 National Dolphin 32D

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2017, 10:21:45 AM »
I guess this makes me a Prepper too.  Steel roof and siding.

Aluminum Foil interior...

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2017, 11:14:24 AM »
Question:  Didn't MIT do a study and discover that tinfoil hats actually focus the RF energy?  Acting in the same way a parabolic dish would? 

If you want to build a Faraday cage it has to be grounded.  All that ungrounded foil and sheet metal might actually be a huge dish.

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2017, 11:30:37 AM »
ouch!!!   just might be. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Here I thought I was prepared and now I'm just as dumb and vulnerable as the next guy.  Oh' well.... ;D ;D ;D

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2017, 05:04:14 PM »
If And I stress IF we ever get into a "Global Thermonuclear War" .... Well you can prep all you want. but survival is not likely... Now one or two atom bombs.. The earth may well recover in time for us to live.  but That's not likely since both the US and some other countries have enough to fry the earth several times over.

Now we get the Nuclear winter caused by all the dust in the air from the bombs,  Plants die, without plants animals die, without either plants or animals to nibble on we die.. Without an established medical network disease ... Gonna be a problem and with all those dead bodies..

Well, about the only thing living will be cockroaches.

But.. That said... In any disaster less than GTW... Such as Hurricane, Earthquake, Fire, Flood.... I think an RV is a good "Prep" house.. for one thing if the disaster is predictable.. Normally.. You can "Get outta dodge".. I'd have done that when Matthew came ashore (Actually about a week before) had the Nice Orange Motor been in place (The mechanic paints all his motors orange... don't know why.. But he said "Now you have an orange engine" I told him Orange on the outside was ok.. So long as it's not orange on the inside (Bright and shiny inside).  He agreed.

And, well.. This is an official question

What is the best place to take shelter in a Hurricane
A: Indoors
B: Outdoors
C; Underground
D: IN a shelter outside the storm area.

Well.. I busted out laughing when I read it because I've always advised the best place during a disaster, be it Hurricane, Tornado, Flood, Fire, Bizzard, Earthquake, Terrorist action or ______ (you fill it in with your imagination) is.... ELSEWHERE

And of course "D" is the correct answer.

8Muddypaws

• ---
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2017, 09:52:36 PM »
ouch!!!   just might be. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Here I thought I was prepared and now I'm just as dumb and vulnerable as the next guy.  Oh' well.... ;D ;D ;D

It might be grounded as part of the construction code because of lightning risk.  Makes sense that it would be.  Tinfoil hats can't be grounded.   ::)

Hosted by Over The Network