One Second After

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maddie

Totally different kind of thread, but I wonder if any of you have read this book?  It's SciFi but in a novel involving a family outside of Asheville (my backyard).

If you ever thought of being a 'Prepper' this will get you thinking harder about it.  Won't give the plot away, but if you've read it you know where I'm going here.  Would love to hear back.

Am I totally out of line here just talking about a book? Can't believe 115 people viewed and have no comment. Never had that happen before. It's not a bad book, it just makes you think and I would think most people 0f our genre would think. If you have something negative to say, say it.

Maddie, I think many people here view most new threads.
Not out of line at all. But I'd need to read the book or know what it's about to make any sort of worthwhile comment.
Sorry.

My guess is that most folks... Like me.. Have not read the book and thus have no coment.

So many books... So little time.. by the time I finish all the backlog in my Kindle apps... Theory has it I will no longer be  (Though that said,, I do read fast)  I could (if I forgot the internet for a while) clean up the backlong in 3-7 years based on the book count and reading 1 a day)

Hi Maddie,

Sounds like an excellent book. Right down my alley. Will give it a read and report back  here if we don't get an emp before hand!

Good one, Al!

I guess it hasn't got much press. I think I heard about it on Limbaugh's show and got curious. Apparently it is a book that has circulated Congress, although I'd rather they read the bills they sign first. :-\

I guess you haven't gotten too many responses from people who have read the book, well here is one from someone who has. Very thought revoking and actually quite scarey. I actually think that this kind of situation could happen, maybe not the same as but quite close to. I'm glad that I read the book but I have to admit it gave me a few sleepless nights after I had finished it....Alan

Yes, Alan, I agree. I'm still only 3/4 through because sometimes I have to put it down. But it's very well written in a novel form, don't you think? I think one of the most startling message it conveys is how dependent/spoiled by all the communication we have. And how lost we would be if it was suddenly taken away. But there's just so much in there that we never think about on a day to day basis.
I didn't have sleepless nights, but it just gives you a different way of thinking about things. I particularly liked the line that when people are in crisis they have an instinct to head for the hills. I think that would be true for me.
Thanks for the feedback, makes me feel a little less odd for bringing it up.

Great story and well told, but I read the first edition of the book and could not get past the horrible grammar mistakes.  Hopefully, the editors have fixed those in subsequent editions.
I'm speaking of the use of "could of", "would of", "should of" instead of the correct "could have", "would have", "should have", etc.  I don't know why, but that particular mistake makes me want to chuck the book at the author's head.

There are things you can do if you are concerned and want to do something to protect yourself.  Google "survive", "Prepper", "survival", etc.  Lots of information as well as "scare" stuff so be careful.

Old vacuum tube radios will work as will the old fashioned phones, although I am concerned about the "tone" ones as they have electronics in them.  Many electronics items may not be affected IF they are in metal cases and the case is grounded.  It is a crapshoot though in those cases.  Pun intended!    :)

I was on a prepper site for awhile, practically got ran off.  They are all for the constitution and free speech till you have some thoughts differing from them.  Sadly what I see from a lot of them is they are ready to start shooting and think that most people are their enemies after their preps.  I don't want to live in fear and paranoia.  I mean some of those folks are scarey.

But having said that, I imagine the book is good.  I do fear economic collapse like in 2008.  I think we just propped it up and did nothing to fix it.  Sure hope I'm wrong.  In the meantime, I have lots of everything stashed away.

I'll see if I can get it on my ipad, then again, kind of ironic reading a book as I surmise, about lack of electronics on an electronic device.  As Jim mentions, vacuum tubes and there will be Ham radio ops out there to reestablish comms.  After 9/11 we were the first to get comms going for fire and police.  I was on a list to go, but the comm companies did a good job reestablishing.  I was supposed to go that weekend. 

Want to help prep yourself, get your license and some vintage ham gear and learn how to use it, how to erect a simple wire antenna.

Yup, ebook available, bought, will download in a minute.

Hi Maddie, Pancakebill and all,

While I am not a prepper, after the hurricanes down south, I felt the need to put some things together in order to get my family and I through a couple of months. After that time things should be fixed or more survivalable. I think people often are under the illusion that the government will come rescue them and that is simply not the case.

Tube radios and ham outfits are of great help and importance, to get needed information. Also when people are desperate, they can do some inhumane things. During emergencies, police and officials will be busy and unable to protect you for hours at a time or days. Some means of protection are essential.

A RV might be considered a prepping device as it is something that can be lived in if you have to move away from your area for a short time. In short everyone should take this stuff seriously and have a means to get by without help for a short time. Better to have it available than to be caught off guard and in need.

Great, Bill, let me know your thoughts when you get a chance to delve into it.

Al, I remember the comment from someone after Katrina:  people always want to horde gold, but after something like that no one wants gold,  they want food and water.

I guess a RV would be certainly better than nothing, but as stated in the book when all electronics are shut down, no vehicle made after 1980 would run because they are all computers on wheels.  The generator could be used, however, in the book it talks about how generators in hospitals and NH's wouldn't work either although I can't remember why.  Need to go back and read that part again.

One thing preppers, survivalists and really anyone would need in one of these scenarios is a means of defense.  I am guessing the book may go into that.  I started reading last night, just into the birthday.  It was late.

We are sort of preppers, in that we are snowed in all winter, so we have a vast pantry which we maintain.  Of course an EMP would destroy our freezers, making for an initial great BBQ. 

Maddie said:
Al, I remember the comment from someone after Katrina:  people always want to horde gold, but after something like that no one wants gold,  they want food and water.
One thing that always missing from prepper's lists:  Toilet Paper!

Maddie said:
I guess a RV would be certainly better than nothing, but as stated in the book when all electronics are shut down, no vehicle made after 1980 would run because they are all computers on wheels.  The generator could be used, however, in the book it talks about how generators in hospitals and NH's wouldn't work either although I can't remember why.  Need to go back and read that part again.

Most if not all recent generators are controlled by "ELECTRONICS" so they would not work.  There are ways IF someone knows how to do it but I'm not sure very many could make the changes needed to go back to mechanical control. 

The thing that woke me up the most in that book was considering how many people are dependant on medications.  I feel fortunate that DW and I are in good health.

73s de K9RVH

PancakeBill said:
Of course an EMP would destroy our freezers, making for an initial great BBQ.

Greetings, I've thought about that (since I have a freezer). What I think you would have to do, is fire up the oven and make a lot of jerky..........that is after the really great BBQ. Best!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom