One Second After

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom Hoffman said:
I have read it and it is a great book.

I have also read "Earth Abides"  and "Malevil"  both are older books 60's or so and worth the search if you can find them.

Earth Abides is a great book.  I've read it several times.  Almost as many times as Catch-22.

That's a pretty good book.  I AM a prepper.  Grew up as a Boy Scout and Army brat.  Lots of exposure to what can go wrong in peoples lives as a firefighter too. 

My sister hasn't been one to REALLY embrace prepping (unlike her husband and brothers) but after reading this she's fully on board.  It is realistic and feasible which isn't a good combination if you're wandering through life unaware then get woken up by this dreadful concept.

I know my MH won't be as good as an underground shelter in the SHTF scenarios but I can't live every minute dedicated to every possible doomsday scenario.  There are many other more likely scenarios like the 2008 housing crash and subsequent economic implosion, personal injuries, severe weather, civil unrest, etc.  I try to prep for the most likely events based on where I live and am traveling.  I'm pretty self contained in the MH provided they don't set off the EMP!  True I don't have a farm and windmill but those are risks I'm willing to live with. 

We're starting full timing which certainly limits what can be carried but I'm making due with what I can manage.  Resupply will be an issue but we'll figure it out.  Any suggestions from more experienced preppers that full time?

I guess this makes me a Prepper too.  Steel roof and siding.

Aluminum Foil interior...

Attachments

• New Addition 010.jpg
    New Addition 010.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 16
  • New Addition 013.jpg
    New Addition 013.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 16
Question:  Didn't MIT do a study and discover that tinfoil hats actually focus the RF energy?  Acting in the same way a parabolic dish would? 

If you want to build a Faraday cage it has to be grounded.  All that ungrounded foil and sheet metal might actually be a huge dish.

ouch!!!  just might be. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Here I thought I was prepared and now I'm just as dumb and vulnerable as the next guy.  Oh' well.... ;D ;D ;D

If And I stress IF we ever get into a "Global Thermonuclear War" .... Well you can prep all you want. but survival is not likely... Now one or two atom bombs.. The earth may well recover in time for us to live.  but That's not likely since both the US and some other countries have enough to fry the earth several times over.

Now we get the Nuclear winter caused by all the dust in the air from the bombs,  Plants die, without plants animals die, without either plants or animals to nibble on we die.. Without an established medical network disease ... Gonna be a problem and with all those dead bodies..

Well, about the only thing living will be cockroaches.

But.. That said... In any disaster less than GTW... Such as Hurricane, Earthquake, Fire, Flood.... I think an RV is a good "Prep" house.. for one thing if the disaster is predictable.. Normally.. You can "Get outta dodge".. I'd have done that when Matthew came ashore (Actually about a week before) had the Nice Orange Motor been in place (The mechanic paints all his motors orange... don't know why.. But he said "Now you have an orange engine" I told him Orange on the outside was ok.. So long as it's not orange on the inside (Bright and shiny inside).  He agreed.

And, well.. This is an official question

What is the best place to take shelter in a Hurricane
A: Indoors
B: Outdoors
C; Underground
D: IN a shelter outside the storm area.

Well.. I busted out laughing when I read it because I've always advised the best place during a disaster, be it Hurricane, Tornado, Flood, Fire, Bizzard, Earthquake, Terrorist action or ______ (you fill it in with your imagination) is.... ELSEWHERE

And of course "D" is the correct answer.

Tom Hoffman said:
ouch!!!  just might be. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Here I thought I was prepared and now I'm just as dumb and vulnerable as the next guy.  Oh' well.... ;D ;D ;D

It might be grounded as part of the construction code because of lightning risk.  Makes sense that it would be.  Tinfoil hats can't be grounded.  ::)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom