Selling a used RV in the USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Francesca

Hi,
I don't know if I'm on the right topic, because I'm looking for tips not to buy but to sell the motorhome my parents bought as they started their journey through the U.S.
They're going to leave from Washington D.C. and would like to sell the motorhome in Maryland as taxes are lower there. Would you advise to search for a dealer there or make ads on a few websites and sell to a private client?
We're most concerned about means of payment, as when my parents bought the motorhome it took a week for the money to clear on the dealer's bank account. What would the best way be, in order to be sure that the client doesn't leave with the motorhome before my parents have been paid?
We'd also like to know which papers are needed for the selling and if it has to take place somewhere (in Europe f.e. you have to go to the town hall or other places).
Thank you very much for your help.

I've split off your message into a new topic so it will get better exposure.

Hopefully, several folks will jump in with their personal experiences.

... would like to sell the motorhome in Maryland as taxes are lower there.

Sales tax is a concern for the buyer, not the seller. They/you might want to look at online sales to see which state has higher RV sales.

Would you advise to search for a dealer there or make ads on a few websites and sell to a private client?

Dealers may not want to buy the RV, but some dealers will take it on consignment and sell it for you, taking a commission. There are also more specialized RV brokers, but I'll let others comment on these. A number of our members have also used Craig's List to buy and sell an RV.

We're most concerned about means of payment ...

Do not accept a cashier's check.

We'd also like to know which papers are needed for the selling and if it has to take place somewhere ...

The sale can take place anywhere. The buyer will need the title document (often called the 'pink slip'), and your parents will sign the document to release their interest in the RV. However, they shouldn't hand over the signed pink slip without receiving payment. Some (all?) states require that the buyer mail a form to the DMV advising of the sale and name/address of the new owner.

FWIW, Is the vehicle already registered in the USA?? If not, the Customs may have an issue with that.  Major dealers usually know the rules but others may not.

Stu, from Francesca's prior posts, the motorhome was purchased here in the U.S.A., and so is registered here.

Ahhh, now I recall her prior posts, visitors from Italy, I believe!!

Just thought I would jump in with that, I wouldn't want anyone to cross the Customs people and suffer the consequences. The one consistent question asked when crossing the border is always : "Are you bringing in anything you intend to leave in the USA??"

Thanks for reminding me of that :-[

Taxes aren't your problem. The buyer pays the sales tax when they change ownership to them when they re title it at the dmv

I would argue that a seller DOES need to think about different tax rates in states because a buyer's budget will typically include the cost of the RV AND the tax so in a lower taxing state one could expect higher sale prices. No?

That's true, but in a private sale, typically the buyer will pay sales tax in the state where they register the vehicle and the seller has no control over that. Dealers have to report the sale and collect the tax at point of sale, but private sellers do not.  So the answer depends on the type of sale to some extent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom