A Great Navigation App for your Android or Iphone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gc1966

I use an app called WAZE it can be found in the Andoid market or the Itunes and it is free

It gives you REAL Time traffic updates and will automagically get you around traffic jams etc  It will show you exactly where those jams are before you approach them so you don't lose focus and crash into a line of stopped traffic.

The roads update instantly, there are no map updates to install, uses very little data and I use it as a commercial driver. Just use your own judgement if it tries to detour you around construction stalls or stopped traffic.. Personally , I am comfortable on any road without low bridges or low hanging lines or trees as long as what I am driving fits in the lane.

Try it out before you spend big bucks on a stand alone GPS unit...

P.S I am not associated with WAZE, they are now actually owned by Google

I'm one of the early adopters as well as having one of the highest scores in the country. Its success depends on people driving around and letting their devices report back to the WASE servers, and those caught in traffic that do the detailed reporting. It works way better in metro areas simply because of the masses using it.

It is an excellent tool, BUT is bandwidth hungry.. So if you don't have an unlimited plan, be careful of just leaving it running (as I do).

PS- Goggle just bought WAZE for over $1bil

This isn't a "normal" traffic or GPS program.  It is something called "social media GPS" and relies on people sharing traffic issues, etc.  It might work in big cities, but it seems pretty useless away from them.

That's basically true of any traffic service. Any place put in the boonies is of no interest and will never make money for the monitoring companies. They're not doing this for free

The latest version of Google Maps on Android includes WAZE data in the traffic display layer.

docj said:
This isn't a "normal" traffic or GPS program.  It is something called "social media GPS" and relies on people sharing traffic issues, etc.  It might work in big cities, but it seems pretty useless away from them.

You will be surprised how "Useless" this puppy is once you use it... It's the best most accurate GPS I have used yet.

SCVJeff said:
I'm one of the early adopters as well as having one of the highest scores in the country. Its success depends on people driving around and letting their devices report back to the WASE servers, and those caught in traffic that do the detailed reporting. It works way better in metro areas simply because of the masses using it.

It is an excellent tool, BUT is bandwidth hungry.. So if you don't have an unlimited plan, be careful of just leaving it running (as I do).

PS- Goggle just bought WAZE for over $1bil

I am ranked in the top 20 in NC...  Do you have over 1 million points yet?

No, and I have no idea how those guys got there because I've seen million mile people from the 1st year. At 6 points per report +milage, I have no idea how that can be.

I also only drive 74miles /day (min), but its all down the busiest fwy in the country (they say)

SCVJeff said:
No, and I have no idea how those guys got there because I've seen million mile people from the 1st year. At 6 points per report +milage, I have no idea how that can be.

I also only drive 74miles /day (min), but its all down the busiest fwy in the country (they say)

I am at 400k .. I drive anywhere from 300 to 550 miles per day

So how come the reporting score changes?  Most reports earn 6 points, but at other times its 3. I thought it was dropping for excessive reports, but I have also had a 3 pointer be the 1st report of the day.

It will report 3 after you just reported
Like if you report a cop, then a mile down the road you report another , the first one gets 6 the next gets 3.  After a few miles the next will be 6 again..
I don't report much as I can't be fumbling with the phone while driving a company truck , I will report if I am stopped in traffic or if there is a vehicle on the side of the road close.

Back
Top Bottom