1992 Winnebago Roof Repair/Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taisa49

I have to share this story!  NEVER give up!!!

We own a 1992 Winnebago Adventurer, which, until recently, had a leaky roof.  We?re not in a position to upgrade, and aren?t prepared to give up RVing, so repair/replace seemed like an option.  Last fall, before we put it into storage, a local dealer/servicecenter rep told us he could fix the roof for a specific sum ? not cheap, but manageable.  We verbally agreed that we?d bring it in as soon as it came out of storage for the repair.  When we went to do just that we learned that person no longer worked there, but that they would check it out and give us an estimate.  Unfortunately, we were sent away from there with a ?sorry, it?s impossible, enjoy the time you have left with your unit before it is unusable?.  This was without running any tests, or getting onto the roof.  We were told that the only way to fix it was to put on a new roof, but the roof we need was no longer manufactured and, if it were, the cost would be $20,000+.  I asked directly if there were another solution e.g. putting on a different type of roof, and was told that either wasn?t possible or wasn?t worth the cost.  At no point were we offered any options, nor did the dealer offer to check out any other options.

Not one to take no for an answer, I joined a listserve for Winnebago owners and also put my situation on  RVforum.net and began to get tips on how to find someone to  fix this for us.  Lots of calls from California folks (we?re in Massachusetts), and many ?good lucks? later I got a call from George at BayState Ford in Stoughton MA, one of the many places I emailed for advice.  After a hopeful conversation George told me ?don?t worry, we can fix this? and we scheduled a drop off date for a Seal-Tek test and estimate.  Over the next few weeks we chatted often, trying to make it as convenient as possible for us to drop off our unit.  When we did, we immediately felt like we were in good hands!  George gave me a complete outline of how they would proceed and we met Bob and Kyle, who would be doing the work.  These guys talk straight!  They gave us a detailed description of how they?d find the problem(s) and what our possible options would be.  In addition, we had a vacation commitment coming up that they promised to meet.  True to his word, George called within a few days with an estimate and explanation of what they?d found.  The estimate to put on an entire new roof was WELL under what we?d been told from our local dealer, and we gave them the go-ahead.  2 days before our vacation date we got a call ? a one piece rubber roof had been installed and we were good to go!

When we picked up the unit we could tell that the guys had taken great care to do the job right, with some added touches (putting our tire covers on, washing the unit, replacing some screws etc.) We got a full explanation of the work, what to expect, what each cost represented ? no question went unanswered.  As Kyle said (as he replaced a light that was out) ?we don?t just care about your rig, we care about YOU?.

I can?t tell you how happy we are to have made the connection with BayState Ford!  These folks are creative and thorough, and love a challenge.  And, while on vacation, we had 24 hours of monsoon-like rain without a drop!

That is a wonderful report and great news to hear that there are actually businesses out there that really do care.  I will definitely take a note of the business and pass it along if ever needed.

Congratulations on the new (non- 20K) roof..

99WinAdventurer37G said:
I would be interested to know how much a new roof costs, if you don't mind.  Mine doesn't leak at this time, but it is a 99, so it'd be a good figure to know.  Thanks

Did tou ever get a quote? I have basically the same one, a 2001 Adventurer 37G.

The recent storm in South Florida ripped my roof :-(

Attachments

• IMG-20171023-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20171023-WA0001.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 27
We have/had a 1993 Minnie Winne and we just put on a new roof ourselves for well under 20K. We used 3/4" ply and purchased a new polyfiber roofing kit. You just buy the kit in the length you need for your roof. At our local RV shop, we bought the kit for 35' which included the roofing, the glue, the tape and a few other misc pieces for $770.00. Figure the wood at $20 a 4 x 8 sheet. We decided to reinforce our roof so bought and installed square 2" aluminum rods and installed every 2'. Those were maybe $100 at our local metals place. Insulation and luan for the inside and you have about $2000.00.

If you have the ability to crawl about on your roof and basic tools, you can repair yourself. Remember to seal every screw, measure twice - cut once. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom