chassis disconnect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canuckm27

Well this forum has been of great service to me. I have found many answers to the questions I have had. I cannot figure this one out. My chassis disconnect won't come on to start my 1999 gulfstream. If I toggle the rocker switch up the light comes on and then  slowly fades out. Now if I held the switch down I could start the rv and sometimes it would run and sometimes it would stall . I though it was may be a battery issue so I replaced the battery and it seem to have solved the issue short term. I drove for approx. 8 hours and when I went to start it in the morning it was doing the same thing. I'm wondering if it is a chassis solenoid issue or something draining the chassis battery. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If the indicator light slowly dims, it sounds like a low voltage issue. Could be corrosion on the power connection, or maybe just dead battery(s). What is the age and condition of the chassis battery? And are you sure the disconnect relay is powered from the chassis battery? I would expect so, but I've learned not to assume anything about an RV!

Do you use the disconnect every time you stop? Why? It's intended primarily for long term storage.

On newer vehicles, if your chassis battery is completely dead, the engine probably won't
run. That's why, when you releas the switch, it won't stay running.

If your new battery went dead, it may be that your engine alternator isn't putting out sufficient current to supply the chassis systems and charge the battery. Of the disconnect is simply preventing any charge from reaching it. Difficult to guess without getting more deeply into the actual wiring paths.

Chassis battery is brand new. I was dumfounded as well because I drove 8 hours after replacing the battery stopping multiple times and restarted the engine without any issues. I wouldn't think it would start after a couple hrs if the alternator was bad. I guess I will take the alternator off and get it tested. After it sat all night then it wouldn't start the next day. If I pjsh the rocker switch in the down position while someone turned the key it started and then would run at higher rpms but would stall at low rpms.

The battery disconnect is a mechanically latching solenoid.  It should not be necessary to turn it ON each time you want to start the engine unless it's you who has been turning it OFF.  If would appear that if you have been turning it OFF to avoid draining the battery, that the process has not been working too well.

Check all battery connections as well as the operation of the alternator.

No need to remove alternator, just start the engine, check voltage at the battery (+/- 13.5) or disconnect ground, engine should keep running.
If voltage is less the 13 at the battery or engine dies with cable off, alternator is bad.
Check the battery disconnect solenoid to see if it is working properly, allowing power to pass through.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom