Any couples ever fulltime in a class B?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PineMartyn

Hello all. New to the forums here, but not to RVing. 

My wife and I were fulltimers for 4.5 years in a used 34' Airstream.  It was fantastic and easy living, but after much rambling about and boondocking, we settled down in Ontario's cottage country.  We recently sold our trailer and are now selling our tow vehicle and hoping to put that money towards something much smaller, a class B of some sort for shorter excursions and vacations. 

That got me wondering though, what it would be like to full-time in such a small rig as a couple?  I know of people who've done it by themselves, but are there any couples who've ever fulltimed together in a class B?

- Martin

Hard for me to imagine at this point in our lives, but we've met people along the way who are at least "long-timing" in a Class B or B+.  Obviously it involves more "camping" and outdoor living than traveling in a mobile residence, but there are people who enjoy that style and disdain big rigs.

Will be interesting to see if there are any responses.

DW and I have done a lot of traveling in our class B. It was always great for weekend trips. It was also plenty adequate for 2 or 3 week vacations. Then, I retired and we started going on 6 week trips.

What really drove us nuts was the lack of storage space. We were forever moving stuff from the bed to the seats to table and back to the bed. A few times we were confined in it by days of really bad weather. We really learned the meaning of cabin fever. I could not imagine trying to full time in it.

We finally went out and bought a truck and a 27' 5er that seems palatial compared to the class B. We still have it, but hardly ever use it.

Joel

Not in my wildest imagination could I envision two people full timing in a class B. I've read about some singles doing it but two people?

I sure can't imagine doing it. My wife and I were out for 3 years in a 36 foot fifth wheel and that became too small. If you are alone, maybe but I still can't imagine doing it. There's a lot to be said for a bed being there all the time and also, bathroom facilities. Best of luck, but think it over very carefully.

R

SoCalToolGuy said:
I sure can't imagine doing it. My wife and I were out for 3 years in a 36 foot fifth wheel and that became too small. If you are alone, maybe but I still can't imagine doing it. There's a lot to be said for a bed being there all the time and also, bathroom facilities. Best of luck, but think it over very carefully.
R

THanks to all for the replies so far.  Just to be clear, my wife and I have non intention of full-timing in the foreseeable future, and we certainly would not in a Class B.  I was just curious to know if anyone here had done so and how they managed it.  We want a Class B simply for short vacations and trips, having settled back into a conventional stick and brick house again.

I also noted that some people here said that they felt the need to upgrade to a larger trailer, especially for storage.  That was a pattern we saw and heard about many times while talking to others who were full-timing when we were travelling about in our own 34' Airstream.  I must say though, we never wanted for space or storage.  We always seemed to have plenty, and now, I think if we were to consider fulltiming again, I think we'd actually downsize a bit, but not by much.

Cheers,
- Martin

We have at least one couple here who make extensive trips in their own custom Class B van. Not full time, of course, but its mostly a matter of what level of creature comforts you expect on a daily basis. We saw a guy, I guess you would call him a hermit, living in a tent-like shelter built against a cliff near Hyder, Alaska. He seemed happy enough, though you and I probably wouldn't want to live quite that frugally.

I've met one couple that was fulltiming in a 21' Toyota chassis Dolphin Class C. They had been on the road for about 5 years at the time, and even had a smaller dog along with them. I also have a neighbor that fulltimed for almost 20 years in a teardrop trailer and mini-van until poor health forced her off the road at age 74. If you're adaptable, you can manage with much less than you expect if you both really want it.

I have friends, a couple, who spent 3 years and over 100,000 miles fulltiming in an old Class B which was really just an old camper van before they started calling them Class B's and putting all the bells and whistles on them.

So they were really roughing it, but they wanted to see 100,000 miles of America on a frugal budget so off they went with a basic camper van.

I met them when I was sailing around and they (like me) had previously ran around the Caribbean in a small sailboat, so they were experienced in traveling light, living without hookups and so on.

They were no where near retirement age, but they wanted to do it now rather than later, hence the small budget and big dreams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes09
Back
Top Bottom