Counter Tops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think that the extra weight really matters at all in the overall scheme of things. People here report that towing 1 5000 pound car would reduce their gas mileage by around 5 miles per gallon.

Of course if you are towing up the side of a steep mountain at 60 mph you would  of course notice the effects of the extra weight. But personally I would not care. There is a lot more to RVing than saving on gas. The best way to save on gas is  to not Two at all.

You don't know how happy I am to hear from you Tom!

-Roni

In fact I like it so much we downgraded in the house from granite (which neither of us likes)

Just curious; what did you not like about granite?

-Roni

I don't know what Ardra doesn't like about granite, but we had it in our last two sticks & bricks and we generally liked it, but granite does absorb oils and will discolor from them, although the dark stone we had made it less obvious.  It also absorbs water, so it can look motley if something wet has been standing on it, although that disappears as it dries.  Of course, it is also totally unforgiving with respect to dropping a glass or a plate on it; they don't bounce at all, they break.

Sandi and Joel,

I also have granite countertops in my home.  But I don't have the problem with it absorbing oils and discoloring.  I reseal mine every year and clean it daily with a granite cleaner.  There is also a polish that I used every month or so.  I'm on the road right now and can't check but I think the product is "Granite Gold" daily cleaner, polish and sealer.  I just spray it on and wipe it off.  I love my granite.

Marsha~

This may be totally crazy, but we purchased a chunk of granite last night. With installation, the sinks and everything, the price is coming in at $1500 less than the Corian.

After hearing about all the cracking, etc. not to mention the expense, granite seemed to be the better option for us. I can't tell you how many times I've needed to get a very hot pan off the stove in a hurry and had no place to set it. I've scorched and melted many plastic sinks along the way (maybe I should learn to cook)! But I know granite can take the heat.

It will add about 200 lbs to the rig, but we are way, way, below our max vehicle weight so fine there. Have no clue how much 200 lbs will cost in fuel but it can't be that bad, right?

Thanks all for your input. Will be doing a major remodeling here soon. We'll post photos.

-Trevor & Roni

An alternative to granite or Corian is a quartz counter top.  We put one in the house here in MT and love it.  Nothing special to do, no sealer, special cleaners, etc.  It accepts hot pans, beads water and so far is as advertised.  Consumer Reports rated is the highest with the fewest negatives.  Yes it breaks glass ware like granite! It is heavy and can be broken but that is true of all on the tops.

We have Corian in the MH and while it is good, the quartz is much better.  Check it out.

It is nice stuff and you can pick the colors!  :)

Had the granite installed and we love it! We are so happy to be rid of that old, horrible countertop!

We also tore out the dinette booth and built a new one. These things are only part of a major makeover. We had wings at a place called Hurricane Grill and Wings a couple of times. We loved the d?cor there and decided to go with a shabby beach shack theme for the whole place. If you've ever been to the one in Orange Beach, AL, you'll know what I'm talking about. We tried to make our booth similar to theirs. Trevor still needs to plug some screw holes and stain the wood that catches the table when you make it into a bed, but we needed to get on the road today so that will have to wait.

Next will be a backsplash, then cabinets. The thing I love about this theme, is any nicks and dings in the cabinets and booth will give it the character we ultimately want.

-Roni

Attachments

• 014 - Copy.JPG
    014 - Copy.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 144
  • 012 - Copy.JPG
    012 - Copy.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 009 - Copy.JPG
    009 - Copy.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 008 - Copy.JPG
    008 - Copy.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 112
We just got a new motor home. When the time comes that the Corian counters need to be replaced, we discussed granite. How does the weight of granite compare to Corian?

According to DuPont, half-inch thick Corian weighs 4.4 lbs/sq ft. Granite counters usually come in 3/4" and 1.25" standard thicknesses.  3/4" granite weighs ~10 lbs/sq ft and 1.25" is ~17 lbs/sq ft

Roni & Trevor - Very impressive.
Thanks, Tom!

It's quite a bit heavier I'm sure, but for us it's such a small piece it doesn't matter. We're way, way, under our vehicle's weight limit and gas mileage won't be noticeably affected.

I'd go for granite if you want it, but Jim Godward suggested Quartz, which may not be a bad option either. But like I said, I really love the granite!!!

Whatever you decide, post photos!

-Roni

We were originally looking at granite.  About that time Consumer Reports had an article on counter tops that covered the whole spectrum.  We went with the quartz even though it is a man made top  as there is latterly no maintenance as there is with most other stone tops, no sealers, relatively impervious to heat, etc.  It is now 4 years old and we have done nothing to it except wipe it off and it looks like new.

We have corian in the motorhome kitchen and in the bathroom, its a 1992 and it still looks really great.

Our newer house only 8 years old has green corian, muted but I hate it.  Would love to have granite or quartz.

By the way what you are doing looks absolutely beautiful, very good job.

Of course, it is also totally unforgiving with respect to dropping a glass or a plate on it; they don't bounce at all, they break.

You weren't kidding about that! When we pulled into WA one night, I opened a cabinet and two pyrex bowls fell out. Shattered pretty badly and cut me in several places. I should know better than to keep those bowls up there, but I'm usually careful about opening that cabinet when we first land somewhere. Just got a little distracted. Bowls are going somewhere else now. Still love, the granite!!!

By the way what you are doing looks absolutely beautiful, very good job.
Thank you. Looking forward to when the project's finished.

-Roni

our new to us coach has black corian with veins of light gray. the veins make the black look dirty. after I replace the 6 4D batteries- we will get new counter tops.

We did granite in our 5ver and love it. We had granite in our last 2 houses and never had a problem with water.....stains or any discoloring. We use a good cleaner and a sealer every so often.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom