Motor home roof material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jomo

We recently bought a used coachman Catalina motor home.  It has a thin rubber roof.  I was wondering what is underneath this thin layer?  There is a spot under the antennae where this material is worn away and there is a second layer of some white material.  I am thinking this is a serious issue?  Other than that spot, the roof appears to be fairly new and we were told it was redone within the last two years.  All caulking looks great on it.

Probably a thin layer of wood, maybe 1/4" plywood.

If you found more fabric under the current roof, I would suspect that new rubber fabric was laid directly over the old. Maybe ok if the old was firmly adhered to the substrate, but that is not good roof replacement technique.

Or perhaps the "new" roof wasn't a new fabric at all. A common procedure is to paint on a coating of liquid elastomeric "rubber". That is a common repair procedure and usually works fine as long as the substrate isn't rotted.

If you have a spot that is getting unusual wear, try covering that place with Eternabond tape. It is rugged and waterproof.

Back
Top Bottom