Question on Surburban Water Heater - I have searched the forums before

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backyarddad

Hello all -

I have a Rockwood Freedom, it has a 6 gallon Surburban water heater with manual pilot light - that has to have the flame brought to the pilot.

When I first got it, I lit the pilot light - no issues, it stayed lit and ignited the water heater as needed - now I can not for the life of me get the pilot light to get gas to it.  This is what I do:

I turn on the gas to the camper, go inside and ignite a burner on the stove to get gas flowing.

I get to the water heater, turn the red knob to pilot, and push it down, gas never flows...I put a flame to the thermocouple, get it hot and then gas flows when I move the knob to "On", and I can ignite the burner and it flows without issue, as soon as the thermocouple cools off, the burner goes out.  There is no flame at the pilot light area because I cannot get gas to flow to it.

Any ides?  Gas goes to the burner, just not to the pilot light, thus not heating up the thermocouple.  How long should I hold the red button down to get gas to flow?  Am I forgetting something?

Thanks.

BYD

Great Horned Owl said:
Gas flows to the pilot through a very small orifice. It can get clogged up, possibly by a little corrosion. You might be able to blow it out, but replacing it it might be a better option. One or the other of these might do it http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail.asp or http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail.asp

Joel

Thanks Joel for your quick response, I will try blowing them out, however your links do not list a product, can you report?

Thanks.

BYD

Along the same lines, insects are attracted by the smell of propane.  You might have a spider web or nest blocking the flame nozzle (different than the orifice).

Lou Schneider said:
Along the same lines, insects are attracted by the smell of propane.  You might have a spider web or nest blocking the flame nozzle (different than the orifice).

If I remove the entire unit and blow it out, would that help with both issues?

Thanks.

Update -  PROBLEM SOLVED!!

I replaced the pilot assembly and it works now.  The other one was full of crud and allowed no gas to flow.

Thanks all for your help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom