towing a 2000 Z71 Chev

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamesnaddie

Help everyone.  I'm jumping head first into the world of Diesel pusher motorhomes.  We have made a deposit on a new Foretravel Nimbus.  We are going to travel with another couple and plan on taking two motorcycles and an 2000 Chevy Z71.  I've settled on a Cruiserlift carrier for one bike and a bed loader in the Z71 for the second bike.  I followed information from this site and find that the Z71 will tow behind just fine.  My questions are: What fuse are they talking about removing in the truck?  Is the steering wheel left unlocked or locked?  It sounds like I should have braking on the toad.  What is the best system for a Z71.  And before anyone ask why I'm towing a Z71...its a spare vehicle, therefore cheap,  and the best one I have suitable for 4 down towing.  We had a 29' toybox TT so I'm not completely new to RVing.  Just a Newbie to motorhomes.

James,

I assume that they're talking about a fuse that disables the electronics in the dash, including the odometer. Some Chevy vehicles such as Tahoe and Envoy do not require the fuse to be pulled; They just don't rack up the miles when towed. Our SUburban on the other hand does and I haven't figured out which fuse needs to be pulled.

The Burb, Tahoe and Envoy do not have a mechanical lock on the steering, so we just leave the key out and lock the door when towing it behind the coach.

For toad braking my suggestion would be the M&G air brake that runs off the coach air. Here's an article in our library that describes various types of auxiliary/toad braking systems.  *

Congratulations on the new Foretravel.  You should have many happy miles.

I can't address the fuse issue, but as to a toad brake, absolutely.  There are several different styles and it's your choice as to which you want to install.  See this for an article on the some of the different options.  If the toad is one that you are likely to replace in the near future, then a system like the Apollo or Brake Buddy can be moved easily to a different vehicle.  No modification of the toad is necessary for installation.  The other types require some amount of modification, from simple to complex.

Dang, Tom, we have to stop posting together like this :)

LOL Ned, you're getting slow on the keyboard.

James  Big congrats on the Foretravel.  Sure you will be well pleased.  Good luck and Happy RVing

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll keep looking for the right fuse to pull.  I like the M&G system and I've got a buddy that will be traveling with us so I think we can tackle the installation.

A dealer or even the owner manual should be able to tll you what fuse to pull. Look for an item in the manual called Recreational Towing or something similar.

In some vehicles the fuse is pulled to prevent battery run down. In others it is to prevent the electronic speedo from recording miles.

Back
Top Bottom