Driving concerns for class B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AK49er

Hello all, I have read almost all of the posts regarding road problems but have found nothing to help me, so here goes.  We have a 1999 Coach House on a Dodge 3500 chassis with the 360 motor. The motorhome has a generator, shower and toilet, so it does have extra weight on it. The BIG problem is it is all over the road! Sway, porpoise, bounce, you name it, it has it. It has 50k on it and the front end is as tight as new, tires are new and kept at about 75psi (tires rated for 80) rear, fronts are about 55psi. It has airbags that have been used from 10psi all the way to almost 100psi with no help at all. All components are new or like new so I don't believe there is failure there. The rear axle is 4" narrower than the front and I am not a fan of wheel spacers, so what do I do now? Any feedback would help.

If every thing in the suspension is truly "as New" you wouldn't be having this issue. So lets start with the basics.

1. get it weighed and adjust tire pressure accordingly. Make sure the load is even on all corners. (I'll bet its not)

2. get the shocks checked. (if they have more than 15k miles on them they are likely shot.)

3. set the air bags to around 50 psi.

4. If the problem is still there your springs are most likely bad.

Also check to see what tires are OEM for that van and see if that is what you have.

Many Roadtreks that were built on the Dodge chassis had a wandering problem as well. i think many things were tried with different degrees of success. Good luck to you and I would start with he steering box.

You might find a good independent front end shop and talk to them about your problem.  I suspect a good mechanic can adjust the front end alignment to cure most all of your problems.  I once owned one of the infamous Ford Twin I beam E350 vans that wandered all over the road.  My local alignment shop did wonders for the problem.  When I sold it several years later it still drove perfectly.  BTW he did not follow Ford specs, but rather did what was necessary to make it right on the road.

I had the same problem on my 40' diesel and after a lot of research, found the solution was quick, simple, and most of all inexpensive: http://www.donvel.com/motioncontrols.htm#3  It now drives like a nice SUV. If you give them a call, they should be able to match up the proper spec. for your units' existing air bags. After I had these installed, I will never have air  ride again without them. On my current unit, I have had this modification for over 300,000 miles and in temperatures from -27f to well over 100f without any problems.

Back
Top Bottom