Yosemite NP - Rim fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Folks headed to Yosemite NP may be unsure (or unaware) of the impact of the huge Rim fire (currently 144,000 acres) that has received local and national media coverage. Here are a couple of links that provide current 'official' information and status:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/rimfire.htm

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/3660

WE are at the KOA in Midpines and were into the park today via route 140 and outside of seeing the smoke billowing from spot near Midpines you would not have expected that there was a fire. I don't expect that it is a long way to the North but the air was clear and hot no sign of smoke . I know that can change with a change in wind direction but I sure hope that does not happen....Alan

hpykmpr said:
WE are at the KOA in Midpines and were into the park today via route 140 and outside of seeing the smoke billowing from spot near Midpines you would not have expected that there was a fire. I don't expect that it is a long way to the North but the air was clear and hot no sign of smoke . I know that can change with a change in wind direction but I sure hope that does not happen....Alan

On the news tonight they reported that 140 was closed, obviously they were misinformed.

99WinAdventurer37G said:
On the news tonight they reported that 140 was closed, obviously they were misinformed.

Yes they were misinformed as we went in and came back on 140 again today. I have some great but scary pictures of the smoke that I took today on the Grand Tour bus window on the way back from Glacier point and I will try to post a few of  them after I get them down loaded if I can figure out how ...Alan

If you can get to Yosemite, it's probably spectacular right now since most of the tourists have been scared off.  Several years ago I stopped at the Escapees park near Coarsegold to wait out a pair of fierce winter storms.  In between there was a day of clear weather and on the spur of the moment I drove up to Yosemite Valley.

The weather in the valley was absolutely gorgeous, white fluffy clouds, no wind and temperature in the low 40s, though it felt considerably warmer in the sun.

And the valley was empty!  The Ahwahnee Hotel is normally off-limits, but on that day it was just about vacant, and I was able to go in, walk around their grand lobby and relax in front of the fire.  While I was there the maitre'd came out and asked if I wanted to have lunch in the dining room.  I explained I wasn't staying there and he said it didn't matter, there was plenty of room.

Afterwards I walked out to Mirror Lake and saw maybe 3 other people on the trail.  I found a flat rock in the sun and just lay back and took in the towering cliffs.

Same thing at all the other popular viewpoints - no one around, and though there was about a foot of fresh snow on the ground it was easy hiking.

99WinAdventurer37G said:
Great, I'll look forward to the pictures.  I've been watching several films on YSNP and was planning on going right after the kids went back to school.  But then I saw all this about the fire, and rescheduled to next year.

Sorry but I have not been able to figure out how to attach photos but I will keep working on it. Bummer that you had to postpone your trip as the rest of the park is great . No smoke on the 2 days that we were there but according to our bus driver we were only about 20 miles from the fire....Alan

The news today reported the smoke has reached the Valley floor. Too sad, but it's up to the wind direction and if that's the case, the fire will be turned back into itself. Poof!  :)  Would be nice anyway.

Here is some pictures that we took one day last week of the smoke . These were taken from the tour to Glacier Point before the smoke filled the Valley

Oops, failed again guess I haven't figured it out yet , how to post pictures ,that is .

99WinAdventurer37G said:
I've tried getting links down without success.  I think I had a technological bypass at birth.

Thanks Ned , I tried posting a picture again and all I am able to get is that my file is too large and this is one picture only . Any hints for what I am doing wrong ? Thanks ....Alan

You need to resize the image files before uploading.  The attachment section tells you what the maximum size file can be (250kb) so you need to get each one below that.  Here's an article in our forum library on resizing pictures.

Back
Top Bottom