07 tioga sl w/ 53K miles good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boumis

We are looking at purchasing a 2007 Fleetwood tioga SL with 53,000 miles and I am concerned that is too many miles for a 6 - 7 yr old RV. low retail is 45,000 and the dealer will sell it to us for 52,500 out the door.  We are weekend users and the occasional 1 week trip per year.  Is this too much money and should I be worried about the miles?  I would welcome any input. the picture attached is the coach we are looking at.

Thanks!

Attachments

• tioga.jpg
    tioga.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 43
That's only about 10,000-11,000 per year.  We put that many miles (or more) on ours during a year when we go from the west coast to the east coast and return so I don't think that's very much at all.  Can't comment about the money, but I don't think the mileage is excessive for the age.

ArdraF

I'd rather have one that has been driven and properly maintained than one that has sat excessively and been neglected.  You might work on the price and use what you feel is high mileage as a bargaining chip....but if that rig was maintained (and it appears to have been) it will likely have plenty of life left in it.

The RVIA says a typical motorhome travels around 6000 miles/year but fulltime/longtime RVers are often more, in the 10,000+ range.

You didn't mention the if it has a single slide or two and that is a price factor. Also, does "52,500 out the door" include all taxes? If so, the selling price isn't far above that low retail you quoted.

I see on the PPL website that a 2007 Tioga with two slides sold last year for $47,500 in a private (consignment) sale, so that suggests the dealer price is in line with the market. On the other hand, 2008 & 2009 Tiogas sold for near the same price, so you might be able to get newer for the same money.    [Private sale prices are normally less than dealer sales price, since it is an "as is" sale.]

Boumis said:
We are looking at purchasing a 2007 Fleetwood tioga SL with 53,000 miles and I am concerned that is too many miles for a 6 - 7 yr old RV. low retail is 45,000 and the dealer will sell it to us for 52,500 out the door.  We are weekend users and the occasional 1 week trip per year.  Is this too much money and should I be worried about the miles?  I would welcome any input. the picture attached is the coach we are looking at.

Thanks!

6-7 years old = used and no warranty..  I guess it all depends on the motor if that's worth it..
Here's a 2004 with 22,000 miles for MUCH less.
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/rvd/4030826511.html
Unless the new one has a LOT of new features I would go with the 2004 and pocket $20k

If you're set on an 07 here's another one with way less miles.
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/rvs/3970701476.html

Bring that info to the dealer and tell them you want them to knock $5k off the price or more..

If they say the can't just get up and start walking out.. They'll come down to that price, or closer to it.. ;)

The Ford Triton V10 engines produced after about 2005 had more HP and were the latest in that series. That engine went through a few beneficial, (some might say "necessary") upgrades between 1999 and 2005 or so. Take that into consideration when looking at RV's with that particular engine and that year range. Worth more?? Dunno, but.... FWIW

There seems to be some hesitation in your decision. The old saying...when in doubt...don't.

The best way to overcome that is to keep looking around and do tons of homework on the internet searching for same model to make some general comparisons.

Also looking at other RV's gives you a lot more to compare to.

I love my Tioga but its a 1994, had 35,000 miles on it when I bought it in late 2009.  I've been living in my fulltime ever since and traveling but I am only up to 56,000 miles at this point because I stop and workamp then travel around and so on.

If you are just going to use it weekends, then you could spend a lot less on an older model then trade up at a future date if you love RVing. I paid cash for mine, I've never once regretted having -0- monthly payments.

This website lets you search all of Craigslist nationwide.
http://home.centurytel.net/bbyrd2100/CL_Motorhome.htm

Good luck in your final decision.

I wouldn't buy it if you don't like the mileage period.. my 88 only had 70k when I bought it last year and it runs just fine but I love it and that's why I bought it

Back
Top Bottom