Colemans and Fleetwoods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1badcj8

Ok so I'm looking through all kinds of information and came across a thread called "Coleman/ Fleetwood warranty for roof leak". Well I had pretty much decided that I want an E-3 (my current one is a '92 Shenandoah), that is until I read through that thread and read about the roof problems. Now I'm not sure if that is what I want. It does explain why I have seen ads for them that say "has bed-liner roof".

What I am wondering is how many don't have issues? That don't have horror leaking stories? Any one here? Here is an example of what I mean... Before I traded my 7.3L SD for a 6.0 SD I heard nothing but bad things about the 6L's, bad, bad, bad... but I bought one any way and I love it, its got tons of power and I've had no problems (other than general maintenance issues). I just figured that I had not heard about the thousands with no issues just those with.

So is this the same? Have any of you just went ahead and did the bed liner on the roof to try and intercept the issues? Preventive measures rather than wait for the problem to hit? Also, for those that have others brands of the same thing/type, please let me know what you think or have experienced and if you have had the same problems with them. As well, any one lift there own?

I don't recall prior mention of "bedliner treatment" in connection with rubber roofs. But you could try "rubber roof" as a search term using the Search button in the toolbar above. It might take some reading, as there are a lot of prior topics on rubber roofs.

It is generally true that the internet reflects a lot more problems than positives - happy owners don't say much. And we may not have a lot of pop-up owners here as well.

Using a bedliner coating such as Rhino or Line-X should be effective if the problem is cracking or deterioration of the thin layer of plastic-like material in hard shell PUP roofs. It works well enough on bigger trailers, at any rate. But you could use plain old EPDM roof coat for less money and prep work. Brands like Liquid Roof and Kool Seal RV should do the job on any leaks. However, bedliner coating is more durable and resists abuse better.

If the problems are structural, e.g. the roof sags or the frame buckles, a coating obviously isn't the answer.

You should also be aware that the Coleman brand name for PUPs has passed through several hands, before Fleetwood and after as well. As I recall, there were even multiple producers at one point, with the smaller units coming from one and larger ones another. The Coleman Company just licenses out their name for outdoor recreation products. The point is, the problems of one may not appear in others.

Back
Top Bottom