454 engine Pulley Belts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey everyone, I have a 1982 Sportscoach with a 454 Big Block installed... Normally I would go to the auto parts store and say "I need all the drive pulley belts for a 1985 Camaro (or whatever) and they would hand me the correct sizes... HOWEVER, the words "Sportscoach" are not helping identify the belts, and when they broke they wrapped in the fan and had to be cut out so there is no way to determine the sizes... Does anyone know what the fitment is on these 454 belts? Mine does have A/C and apparently there is a "Mark IV" generation, but the diagrams for belt routing I see are for 1985 & newer. Are the 1984 & older models different with different size belts? I am a foreign car guy, so don't know much about the 454 generations.. I'm a little lost

take a 1/4 in rope and route it where the old belt went, make sure the tensioner is relaxed or have someone hold it in the loose position. measure the length and width and get one to match. You will have to go to a real parts store not one like autozone or advanced.

I use my chassis as a parts guild mine is  a 1988 Fleetwood on a chevy p30, so I get parts for the motor and chassis bi ordering parts for a a 1988 chevy p30

You also have to tell them it is a P30 GM chassis. There were different belt configurations tho. With and without an airpump, with factory air compressor. Some coach manufactures added there own air conditioner system. If it had factory air it should have a long cyclinder looking compressor. I've had real good luck with my local O'Riellys auto parts store.  Some had a 2 belt, and some had 3 belt systems.

The guy on the phone was saying a P30 engine also, but I noticed there is some difference after 1984... Are the belts still the same all the way until the Mark V came out?

This is a diagram I found... But it says 1985 & newer... That's what puzzles me

Attachments

• belt-routing-454.jpg
    belt-routing-454.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 33
sometime you can ask them if they have one in their computer they may not, Chevy dealer may have one, or go to library and check out a Chilton Manuel for that year p30 it should have all the specs and things you need for the 454

also each belt will be a different length so a alt belt will only fit the alt you can hang the belt on the alt and just line up the pullys until they are straight, by the age it is more than likely all v belts

Also don't go by that word currant. I know my 95 has a serpentine setup, not sure when that started.

My 80 Itasca had an air injection pump, it also had the long GM compressor on the air conditioner. The parts store was able to get me the right belts first time around, but you have to know what components your coach has when they asked you.

Using the VIN number you should be able to find what year the chassis is. It could be 1 or sometimes 2 years behind the model year of the coach.

Well, I went to the rig today on my way back from Oklahoma and the interesting thing I found was that the engine did not have either air pump installed. I read the records from the previous owner and he put in a rebuilt 454 in 2002. Here is what I found...

It is a 3 belt system (no serpentine)

Alternator - 1 track pulley
A/C Compressor - 2 track pulley
Power Steering pump - 2 track pulley
Fan/Water Pump - 2 track pulley
Crank Shaft - 3 Track Pulley

Also, One of the belts was legible (Gates Part Number - 7465) I believe this was the belts that went around the Alternator..

So based on this: I would assume I have 1990-94 Mark IV 454 engine (w/ single pulley alternator & no air pumps) and should be able to order belts based on that info....

Wish the other belts had the part numbers, but this is better than nothing :)

Clay L said:
You can download a service manual  HERE . It covers several years. It contains some belt diagrams and part numbers as I recall.

Hey Clay, that link didn't work... Can you send me a direct html link?

We had a 1983 Pace with a 454 and P30 chassis in the Midwest and it matched the left configuration without the top NA5 pump (Probably a CA requirement.).

I parked at a NAPA store with a large suppry of belts. Left my credit card on the counter and tried belts until I found the right ones.

1982sportscoach said:
Hey Clay, that link didn't work... Can you send me a direct html link?

Odd, that site (http://www.bdub.net/manuals/P30/index.html) was working a couple of months ago but is dead now.

The pdf file I have is 18.3 MB which is too large to attach and also too large for me to send via email because of ISP limitations.

I will see if my Outlook account will work.

Please PM me your email address and I will see if I can send it to you.

So based on this: I would assume I have 1990-94 Mark IV 454 engine (w/ single pulley alternator & no air pumps) and should be able to order belts based on that info
no you still have a 84 454 p30, no matter when the engine was rebuilt they would have used the parts off your engine( pullys alt, a/c) back on, a true 2002 would not work in a 84 because it would take all the electronics( ecm, wiring harness) to work

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom