Which used Van or Camper Class B is known for reliability and great MPG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomystein

I am looking for a VAN or VAN Camper Class B that will be reliable, will take me from spot A to B with cheap and less repairs and a very good MPG cunsuming.

I am not looking for a new one since I cannot afford it. Recommended models between the years 1997 and 2010.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!

Check into the Mercedes diesel. I have heard good things about both the reliability and fuel mileage.

Thank you.
I need more specific recommendations.

I have heard about ones that do more than 20 or even 30 mpg. This is what I am looking for.

I also want something reliable like the Ford fiesta if you was looking for a cheap car and you don't want it to break and go to the garage.

Here is a URL.

http://www.advanced-rv.com/?gclid=CM_o1pbIqrkCFe1DMgodVCgAjA

Btw,

I didn't mention that before but I am looking for a second hand or more rv, since I cannot afford a new one.
If you know about good models from 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 etc, I will be happy to know!

Thanks

The problem is anything built on a full size American van starts out too big and heavy to get the MPG you're looking for.

About the only van camper that will get better than 20 MPG is the Volkswagen Vanagon with the Westfalia camper conversion.  The Vanagon was produced during the 1980s and was the last of the Type 3 minibusses.

There were also several Type C campers mounted on Toyota pickup cabs and chassis made in that same time period that get around 20 MPG.  Winnebago and Dolphin are two brands that come to mind.

Thank you very much for the useful info!

Are you sure those are the only ones? As far as I know, when they are newer they give better mpg most of the time.

Can you please write the models you have mentioned more clear so I can look on Google and be sure it's the right recommendation?

Thanks again!

We have a 2000 Chev. Express Ext'd cargo van with a 5.7L (Chev. 350 small block) engine.  Over 100k miles our mpg has averaged in the range of 15.8-16.0 mpg.  It's easy to remember the tanks of gas that give 19mpg and forget the ones that gave you 13mpg.  Lou's post should give you enough info to google search some "good" mpg older vehicles.  If someone tells you about a 30mpg class B or C campers recommend you also talk to them about the size of the fish they have caught.

Ok thanks!

If anyone has more models to recommend, please let me know.

I am looking to spend between 1000$ to 4000$ and I hope this range can be enough for something that is reliable with good mpg.

Len and Jo said:
We have a 2000 Chev. Express Ext'd cargo van with a 5.7L (Chev. 350 small block) engine.  Over 100k miles our mpg has averaged in the range of 15.8-16.0 mpg.  It's easy to remember the tanks of gas that give 19mpg and forget the ones that gave you 13mpg.  Lou's post should give you enough info to google search some "good" mpg older vehicles.  If someone tells you about a 30mpg class B or C campers recommend you also talk to them about the size of the fish they have caught.

I've asked people that tell me they get outrageously good MPG if they keep a log, usually they just say, "that's what it says on the computer."  Those things are notoriously wrong.  If you ask me, or one like me about mileage, I can show you receipts, odometer mileage at each fuel up, etc., and am glad to do it.  To those of us that enjoy getting great MPG, it's a game, and the one with the the highest score is the winner, so we like to show off our progress.  Most are just guessing.

In my business, I personally am driving a 500ISX in one of my trucks, that when I drive it, the average MPG is 9.34 mpg.  The very same truck, I had a driver in it, and he was closer to 6.3 mpg.  30% of fuel mileage is the nut behind the wheel, I've heard this for years, and seen it in my experience with drivers that aren't paying for their own fuel.  But on a high profile vehicle such as an RV, wind and terrain make a huge difference in the mileage one will get on a given trip.

tomystein said:
I am looking for a VAN or VAN Camper Class B that will be reliable, will take me from spot A to B with cheap and less repairs and a very good MPG cunsuming.

I am not looking for a new one since I cannot afford it. Recommended models between the years 1997 and 2010.

Thank you!

"tomystein" ... did I read correctly that you are looking in the $1000 to $4000 range?? Or is that $10,000 - $40,000. If it's the former ... good luck. Check the junk yards and I hope you are handy.

The Sprinter chassis style Class B are averaging between 18-22MPG. I know because I own one. It depends on your driving style and the area you are driving. Mountains VS flatland etc. You won't see 30 MPG on a Sprinter.

As for good used ... look at the Roadtrek models. Most of them are good and reliable from what I've read from RT owners. I don't own one. I have a new Winnebago ERA.

There are some older Winnebago Rialta around. You'll have to look around for them. Someone else mentioned VW Wesfalia. There are a few of them still around. In fact a trio from Australia was at my place a few weeks ago. They purchased one in British Columbia and are exploring North America for a year and then plan to sell before they return home.

I suggest you get onto GOOGLE and Google: Used Class B RV's or Camper Vans. Craig's List and Kijji as well will probably have some older camper vans listed for sale.

There are used Class B's out there ... whether they meet your strict criteria is another matter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom