1974 360 engine questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chilton

I have a 1974 minne winnie. Brought it home the other week with everything running just fine. Went to start it up two days ago and the battery was dead (not that big of a deal, just charged it up). After charging the battery when I go to start it, it will crank pretty good just wont turn all the way over. When I put the keys in it shows my oil level is low or does that not show accurate until the engine is running? That is a possible problem. Was also thinking maybe its the fuel filter? Got under the RV but didn't see where the fuel filter is, anyone know, and is it very hard to change? Any info would help, thanks for your time!

Chilton said:
.. when I go to start it, it will crank pretty good just wont turn all the way over.
Not sure what you mean here - do you mean that it cranks quickly but won't start?

When I put the keys in it shows my oil level is low or does that not show accurate until the engine is running?
Are you referring to the oil pressure gauge perhaps?  If it's indeed the oil pressure gauge, I don't think it will be accurate until the engine is running.

Was also thinking maybe its the fuel filter?
A diesel engine only needs fuel and air to run, a gas engine requires fuel, air and ignition - remove any one of the elements and you have a several hundred pound paperweight  ;) .  (Yes, modern engines are computer controlled, but this one is a golden oldie.)

What chassis and engine are you on?

Thanks John, but yes it cranks fine just not firing up? CFSUNRISE is right that it is a 360 Dodge chassis. Is there a way to check the ballast resistor or just go ahead and replace it? The RV sat for about a year before I bought it and figured maybe the gas that was in it has just turned to crap and is not getting through? Maybe spark plugs? I'm kinda lost here. lol

First thing to do is see if you have spark at the spark plugs, if not then trouble shoot that.  If you do have spark, then I would suspect a fuel problem especially since the gas is old and probably varnished up.  Try some starter fluid and see if it wants to fire off.

The ballast resistor is hard to troubleshoot by looking at the spark, because it's out of the circuit while you're cranking the engine.  If the engine sounds like it wants to start while you're cranking the starter, but then dies as soon as you release the key, the resistor is likely open.  It's a white ceramic rectangle on the firewall with a wire running to each end.  As a test, try bypassing it by connecting both wires to a single terminal, taking the resistor out of the circuit.  If the engine starts and runs when you release the key, the resistor is open and you need a new one.

Don't leave it bypassed for any length of time because you'll burn up the points.  Full voltage is sent to the points and ignition coil while the starter is cranking so you get a hot spark while the starter motor is dragging down the system voltage.  When you release the starter, the electrical system returns to full voltage and the resistor is placed in circuit to limit the current flowing through the points so you don't burn them up.

You can use 20' of speaker wire in place of the resistor to get back to civilization. Honest.

Bill

Got everything back up and running. Seeing that the battery was dead I wasn't getting any gas pushed though when I was trying to start it. Once unhooked the fuel line from the carb used some starter fluid to get it going, I got rusty fuel squirting out.. let it run for awhile to flush what I could. So my problem is just dirty/rusty/old fuel. Debating on dropping the tank and flushing it out or keeping my tank full for the most part. Thanks for your help guys.

If you don't drain the tank, you ought to find your fuel filter location, identify what the replacement filter is and pick up a few. Throw a double dose of Sea Foam or Techron fuel system cleaner in the tank. The old carb engines are more more tolerant of bad fuel than FI engines, but it'll run crappy 'til it's burned off. Top off with hi-test, the old gas octane raing has degraded to turpentine. Good luck.
Are you old enough to remember starting procedure for carburated engines?

Bill

Never heard of sea foam or Techron. Will give it a shot. Thanks Bill

Techron is  Chevron/Texaco's detergent additive.  It's included in their fuel and also available as a concentrated additive.

Sea Foam is a marine/outboard engine fuel system cleaner originally designed for boat engines that sit over winter.

Back
Top Bottom