A or B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsnyde11

OK I bet Gary or someone here can tell me, when I bought my MH they said it was a A class, looks like a A class, paper work says it is, but I have never look at the manufactures spec plate until today and it says it is a B class, so what do I call her now a B or A???

That is likely a stepvan chassis with a cab forward cockpit, not a cutaway van. Isn't that what determines a front engine A? What length is it? Looks like a short one.  ;)

Bill

Hard to tell with that small photo, but a van chassis with the original cab and a motorhome body is either a B or a C. The distinction between B (or B+) and C is even foggier, basically depending on whether the body is a modification of the van or a pure add-on.  It's largely academic anyway, these days.

They are building what are called Class A's on the Sprinter van chassis these days. And Class C's on medium and even heavy truck chassis.

I don't see anything that looks like a GM manufactured van body anywhere on that rig, so it must be a Class A.

That is definitely unique, since Class A's that small are not too common.  But it still looks everything like a custom motorhome body dropped on top of a truck chassis of some kind, as opposed to the standard van body of a Class B.  I concur with the Class A determination!

I wonder if I got ahold of Fleetwood with the id number if they could tell me for sure what it was when they built it, I did one night find one on ebay same year same size they called theirs a A class, however the only difference on the inside was the bed it had a walk around and the bath was moved to the side wall and had a tiny closet instaed of the double that I have

I guess I wonder why you care? It's not a legal classification, or important for any reason I can think of. And if you are headed for a "Class A only" motorcoach resort, you can lie cause they will be going by eyeball rather than any data plate. Few coaches have any official designation of their RVIA "type" ("class" is no longer used) anyway.

I know Gary it doesn't matter, I just found it odd is all since I don't know what makes one from  the other its more curiosity than anything else to me she's a A and the wife and i find she's right for us, just seeing how anyone else would look at it, didn't mean to offend anyone and I am sorry if I did.

Richard,

I still say it's a Class A as I have never known Fleetwood to make a Southwind other than a Class A.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom