Added a Wilson Mobile Wireless Signal Booster to Our Van

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

We have been without a booster for our cell phones ever since the antenna plug in port on cell phones was no longer available a number of years back.  The Wilson exterior antenna was really an impressive device.  So wanting to stay in touch with the kids and grandkids when in the remote, primative places we like to go with our 'B' I have installed a Wilson Smart Technology II  signal booster.  It uses a internal to the vehicle antenna to pick up the cell phone signal, sends it through a signal booster and then to an external to the vehicle antenna for transmitting to far off cell phone towers.  Reverse for incoming weak signals.  We needed it our last trip but we left before UPS delivered it.  Can't wait to give it a real test.  Maybe on our northern Maine 1 month trip this fall.

The way I have it set up we can bring the exterior antenna inside (through the window) when the van is in storage, when we don't think we will need it, or when we require "stealth" mode.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 76
Any update on how the booster worked for you Len? I was in the New England States in August and have to say that the cell phone reception SUCKED!!

Karsty said:
Any update on how the booster worked for you Len? I was in the New England States in August and have to say that the cell phone reception SUCKED!!
IMO, they all "suck" except for Verizon Wireless, which has better coverage than all the others combined. On my trip across the country (just last month),  my Verizon Wireless internet and cell worked everywhere I tried them, even far from any cities or interstates.

I also have Virgin Mobile, which works great here in the Reno area (3G) as well as around my other home in SSF (4G), but across the country, its coverage "sucked".  It was useless, except in or near a few  large cities.

BTW, I only had my V/WL internet activated for the time I was traveling. The next time I leave for a long trip, it will be activated again. My cell phone is PAYG. So I used neither while in Canada (found wireless almost everywhere in the Toronto area) and have another PAYG phone for Canada. USA Verizon Wireless PAYG phones will not work in Canada, but IIRC, contract phones will.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Have not been to any really remote spots yet in the U.P. or out west.  So far though are phones always have the maximum bars showing for signal strength.  We wired it into a switched circuit so it terns on and off automatically when we use the van.  Very transparent.

DonTom said:
IMO, they all "suck" except for Verizon Wireless, which has better coverage than all the others combined. On my trip across the country (just last month),  my Verizon Wireless internet and cell worked everywhere I tried them, even far from any cities or interstates.

I also have Virgin Mobile, which works great here in the Reno area (3G) as well as around my other home in SSF (4G), but across the country, its coverage "sucked".  It was useless, except in or near a few  large cities.

BTW, I only had my V/WL internet activated for the time I was traveling. The next time I leave for a long trip, it will be activated again. My cell phone is PAYG. So I used neither while in Canada (found wireless almost everywhere in the Toronto area) and have another PAYG phone for Canada. USA Verizon Wireless PAYG phones will not work in Canada, but IIRC, contract phones will.

-Don-  Reno, NV

"DonTom" ... I do the same when I travel in the US. I have an ATT PAYG phone and I had the Verizon Connect 5 for my Internet access before I cancelled it. You say you can deactivate the Verizon when you are not using it?? I'll have to look into that. They were charging me $55 per month and I cancelled it for now pending a better deal. I only had some issues in the Maine and Vermont areas with Verizon. Same with ATT though. Other than that I was please with both services. I have my CDN Rogers phone for Canada and that includes my data as well.

Thanks Len for the update.

Feed back....FYI

Know this is a two year old thread but this reply is directly related.

We are very happy with the Wilson signal booster. 

We were camping in the Manistee National Forest this last week.  Cell phones had zero bars and "no service".  Lost telephone signal signal about 8 miles from where we were camping.  With the Wilson unit powered up we got 2-3 bars and could make calls 90% of the time.  This specific unit required that we have the cell phones within 1-1.5 feet of the booster antenna. 

We did find that the original antenna locations was not ideal (see above pics).  To use our cell phones required us to be very close to the dash.  Big reach while camping.  So I moved the antenna so that it is on the roof liner next to the dome light.  Now we can use it either in the front seats or standing in the front area of the back of the van.  Also the repeater power came from the engine battery when the ignition was turned on.  Again fine when driving but not fine while camping and wanting to make a call.  So moved the 12v power plug to a house battery outlet.  This does require that we manually turn off the repeater power when not using it to save house battery power while dry camping.

Thanks for this... Can you tell me which model of Wilson booster you bought?

Amazon write up:

Product Description
The Wilson Mobile Wireless 3 Watt Cellular Amplifier has been carefully engineered to significantly improve the performance of your cell phone or wireless data card in mobile applications for any U.S. Cellular Provider (Except iDEN/Nextel). Together with an outside Antenna, the Amplifier's State-of-the-art technology is designed to increase your cellular signal up to 10 times, reduce disconnects and dropouts and increase data communication rates needed for 3G technologies. This unit provides a wireless communication to any cell phone and/or data card within the vehicle and will work for multiple cell phones or data cards simultaneously. The Dual Band Mobile Wireless 824-894/1850-1990 MHz Smart Technology Amplifier kit comes with everything you need, including a 12-Inch Magnet mount antenna our 3 Watt Amplifier, internal antenna, & cigarette lighter power source. Call Wilson's fully staffed Tech Department for questions or help at 866-294-1660 FREE.
Amazon.com

Increase your cell phone's signal by up to 25 times with the Wilson Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit. Designed for use in your car, truck, RV, or boat, the booster kit significantly improves your cell phone's performance and signal strength. You'll experience fewer dropped calls, faster data rates, and clearer reception. Also, the booster is powerful enough to improve the cellular signal on multiple phones and data devices simultaneously.
Wilson Electronics 801212 Cell Phone Signal Booster Kit
Wilson MobilePro
Everything you need for better reception is included in the box. View larger.
It's All About Power

The primary cause of dropped calls is low signal output power from the cell phone to the cell tower, which limits the phone's ability to communicate with the tower. A typical cell phone provides merely one-fifth of a watt of output power. To address this problem, the amplifier provides up to an impressive three watts of output power. In addition to the power increase from the amplifier, the included magnet mount antenna will increase the phone's output power another 10 times. Used in combination, your phone will get up to 25 times more power over using the phone alone.
Enjoy Premium Reception and Fewer Dropped Calls

Using state-of-the-art technology, the Wilson Booster Kit strengthens your cell phone reception and guarantees premium coverage, even when you're traveling in remote areas where only a weak signal is available.

The booster kit comes with everything you need for installation, including a high-gain 12-inch magnet-mount antenna that attaches easily to the roof of your vehicle. The antenna is connected via cable to the amplifier, which is housed in a compact metal case that fits neatly under your passenger seat. Also included with the kit is a low profile interior antenna that allows for discreet installation.
Wilson MobilePro
Setting up the MobilePro takes just a few minutes. View larger.

Once installed, the booster kit will amplify the wireless signals of multiple cell phones and data cards within the vehicle, allowing passengers to enjoy excellent reception and data connection simultaneously. You'll experience fewer dropped calls, clearer call quality, and improved data rates--even with 3G technologies. Most importantly, your cell phone's range will increase dramatically, allowing you to make calls from remote areas.
Compatible with Most Cell Phone Models and Providers

The Wilson Booster Kit is compatible with all US and Canadian cellular providers, excluding iDEN / Nextel / MIKE. This kit also supports CDMA, TDMA, GSM and AMPS cell phone technologies, as well as data protocols such as GPRS, 1xRTT, HSDPA, EVDO and EDGE.

The use of radio distribution equipment that enhances, extends or amplifies a wireless signal may be prohibited without the consent of the wireless carrier upon whose network such equipment will be used. You should consult with your carrier before purchasing such equipment to use with that carrier?s service.

The Wilson Booster Kit includes a 30-day money-back guarantee and is backed by a one-year manufacturer's warranty.
Specifications

Frequency: 824-894 MHz / 1850-1990 MHz
    Gain: 40dB / 42dB
    Max Output Power: 3 watts
    Max RF (downlink): +10dBm
    Noise Figure: 3.5dB nominal
    Flatness: +/-3dB / +/-4dB
    Isolation: > 90dB
    Power Requirements: 6V, 3 A max
    Connectors: FME-Male 50 ohms
    Dimensions: 4.5 x 3.5 x 1.25 inches
    Weight: 1.5 lbs

What's in the Box

Amplifier, outside magnet-mount antenna, low profile antenna, cigarette lighter DC power supply, and installation guide.

Thanks for the update on this Len and Jo.  I have an older Wilson Sleek which works well but I've been thinking of updating to one of these newer models - good to hear that they work too!

Back
Top Bottom