Lighted Rocker Switches on Dash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

Over the past week I have noticed the lighted rocker switch for the Exhaust Brake is sometimes lighted when switched on and sometimes not. Even when it is not lighted in the "on" position, the exhaust brake is working. Some of the switches are lighted, and some are not. But sometimes I think some that now are not used to be. Can anyone tell me if the bulb/led/whatever in the switch can be replaced or is it just replace the whole switch?  ...and why would the light be sometimes working and sometimes not even though the switch is functioning as it should? This is a Spartan MMGT/Winnebago chassis.

Anything can be "fixed" if you have the right abilities. Some things are easier to just replace. Your rocker switch lights are the replace the switch for about $15.00 kind of repair.

If this is happening to several switches in nearby locations, it sounds to me like a loose ground in the switches light multiple. The 'ground' sides are likely connected together and run to a single ground point which may be loose. Could also be loose within that chain.

The easy way to test this is to jumper one of the switches ground leads to a known solid ground. If they then all light as expected you have proved the problem. Now you will have some digging to do find the real source of the problem!!

Most of the lighted switches use an incandescent "Grain of wheat" lamp (So called cause like a grain of wheat, very small).

My solution is this.. For about a buck a pop I got a handful of LED indicators at a local electronics supply.. These are one hole mount devices, they are a plastic tube with a lense at one end (And a retainer ring) and leads at the other, Roughly 1/4 inch in diamater (Bit smaller as I recall)

Drill a hole above/below/beside the switch, shove it in, shove a SPEED NUT (SPring thing) over the back side to hold it, hook to the GROUND lead (Black) and the LOAD terminal on the switch (RED) and .. Instant indicator light that will outlsast the switch by several replacements.

They also come in colors.. In another thread in another place someone commented on people seeing the red lighted switch for his Water Heater (AC) and tellilng him he should turn it off when not in use..... I responded that some folks seem to be "Allergic to red lights".. The indicator I used for that switch... IS green.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom