Longest Trip ever planned, take a look

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fyrestorm

I am currently planning a summer vacation in 2014 that will take us from Florida, to the central California area, up to Montana and then back to Florida.  Our plan is to dry camp in National parks.  I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado 5.8L with tow package.  We will be pulling a 15' camper with dry weight of 2700#.  Weight and size should not be a problem in regards to towing. I have no issues driving 12-14 hours a day.  I have done it plenty of times. My wife will also pitch in on driving and we will keep it at a steady 60mph.  This is by far the longest and largest vacation our family has ever been on.  I am posting up my itinerary for those experienced in trips like this to get feedback.  I do plan on covering some ground every day when driving.  We won't be stopping much in between.  Our goal is to get to the park, set up and then take it easy.  This will not include what I plan on doing while visting the areas.  Only our time frame in regards to driving.  Here it goes, thanks for any input you can provide.

June 16th- Leave early AM from Melbourne, Florida,  DRIVE DAY (destination Grand Canyon NP)
June 17th- DRIVE DAY
JUNE 18th- DRIVE DAY
JUNE 19th- DRIVE DAY, arrive Grand Canyon North Rim Campground (early afternoon)
JUNE 20th- sightsee North Rim area
JUNE 21st- sightsee North Rim area
JUNE 22nd- Drive to Zion Campground, arrive around noon, set up and sightsee area
June 23rd- sightsee Zion
June 24th- sightsee Zion, leave around 1-2pm for Yosemite
June 25th- arrive in PM at Wawona campground in Yosemite, set up, relax
June 26th- sightsee Yosemite
June 27th- sightsee Yosemite
June 28th- sightsee Yosemite
June 29th-  leave early for Grand Teton NP, DRIVE DAY, find place to stay night
June 30th- arrive Grand Teton NP early afternoon or late morning, set up, relax
July 1st- sightsee Grand Teton area
July 2nd- sightsee Grand Teton area
July 3rd-  leave early/late morning for Yellowstone, arrive in Canyon campground early afternoon, set up, sightsee close to camp area
July 4th- sightsee Yellowstone
July 5th- sightsee Yellowstone
July 6th- sightsee Yellowstone
July 7th- sightsee Yellowstone
July 8th- leave early for Glacier NP, arrive West Glacier in afternoon, set up, sightsee close to camp area
July 9th- sightsee West Glacier area
July 10th- sightsee West Glacier area
July 11th- leave early for East Glacier, arrive early afternoon, set up, sightsee close to camp area
July12th- sightsee East Glacier
July 13th- sightsee East Glacier
July 14th- sightsee East Glacier
July 15th- sightsee East Glacier, leave for Black Hills around 2pm
July 16th- stop and see Devils Tower, arrive Black Hills(Sylva lake Campground) area in PM, setup, relax
July 17th- sightsee Black Hills area
July 18th- sightsee Black Hills area
July 19th- sightsee Black Hills area
July 20th- leave early for Rocky Mountain NP, arrive afternoon, set up, relax
July 21st- sightsee RMNP area
July 22nd- sightsee RMNP area
July 23rd- sightsee RMNP area
July 24th- sightsee the early morning, pack and leave area before 1pm for the Ozarks, find place to stay
July 25th- finish drive to Bennett Springs State Park in Missouri, arrive afternoon,  setup, relax
July 26th- sightsee Bennett Springs area and fish
July 27th- sightsee Bennett Springs area and fish
July 28th- pack and leave early, depressed, we are headed home, DRIVE DAY
July 29th- DRIVE DAY, should arrive Florida in evening
July 30th- DRIVE DAY(if needed)

So, what do you think?

Looks like a fun trip...I think planning and routing is almost as much fun as going.

We just finished a trip that lasted two weeks longer than you have planned. We did 3340 miles round trip from northern IL to, in succession, WI, MN, SD, WY, MT, ID, UT, CO, WY, NE, IA, IL.

We started 1100 miles closer, and went only as far west as Idaho and Utah. We spent three weeks in Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP, alone. The longest drive we had in the coach on any one day was 262 miles, once, and the shortest was 114, and that was moving from 30 miles east of YNP east entrance to 15 miles west of the west entrance. I think we also did a drive from Park City, UT to Rawlins, WY which was 270 miles.

I think you have a very ambitious itinerary for such a short period of time. I would suggest the California for another time, at the very least. You are going to be very tired of driving.

Just my 2?

Stan

You mention you "family". Does that include children and if so, what ages?

Sometimes it's worth a stop at those little visited but advertised places you see along the way to let legs be stretched and pent-up ambition to run loose for a bit.

We took a month off in '04 and traveled from upstate NY to CA zig-zagging our way out and back with 2 kids (6 and 8 ) and a dog in our Class C. It was well worth the little stops and allowing to arrive a little later than originally planned. Some of our favorite memories were from the little stops along the way. With a little research (you have plenty of time) you can find little places that only take an hour or so to visit that make excellent stops.

Example:
One of my favorite unplanned stops was in the Rockies when we got held due to construction in the hills. We were stopped for about 45 minutes (I asked the flagger how long we would be waiting) and we got out to walk the dog. There was a fenced area nearby with several horses so my wife and daughter walked over to it. One horse came to the fence and took a liking to our daughter. If she picked up her foot, the horse picked up his. She ended up "dancing" with the horse and provided entertainment for the small crowd of people waiting.
Another was in Wall Drug when a full blooded Cherokee in war dress snuck up behind my kids and almost made them poop themselves when he let out a war cry (he did look for my approving nod prior to doing it).

Keep a log book and jot down the day's journey every night.

It makes my head hurt. I think of all the cool places you'll be driving past at 60 miles an hour without any idea how neat it is. Do you get a prize for seeing 10 National Parks in one trip? I'd much rather slow down, see more, enjoy more and take 3 trips to see that many parks. As you drive by the Alamo at 60 mph and then the petrified forest, and the great meteor crater, and so on, you've missed the little things that make our country so unique.

Ken

I agree, There are some drives that we make that we will have time for those stops.  A few parks are only 3-6 hours apart and any 12 hour drives we have I allotted 2 days to make the drive. (ex..Yosemite to Grand teton) That will give us time to make a few stretch your legs stops.  My son is 10.  He travels well and more excited than we are about this trip.  We've already been to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons so theres no rush to cover the entire park, we've seen most of it in 2012.  But, we have to go back, my son said so!!! hahaha!  I understand some of the drives are a little ambitious.  But, I believe they are very doable. 

I've been to the Alamo, Meteor Crater and the Pertified forest.  ;D   

Some folks are built different.  I have no issue with the driving.  My wife and I are young and have racked up many a miles already on trips.  We are no strangers to this.  For us, this is a Grand trip across the USA visiting some of the most treasured National parks we have.  Believe me, this won't be out last trip like this.  Our plans are to spend half of the year camping when we retire.  I will catch all of those little places then!!  But, I like the idea of keeping a log book during the trip.  That will come in handy if we are to take a similar route in the future to catch anything we may miss.  I appreciate the insight so far folks!

Couple things
Zion / Bryce are  two different  Parks.  You will need two set up  days to see each.  I'd pick one or  the other  and spend time truly exploring  one of those.  Then that trip to Yosemite seems out of whack  distance and time wise.  I'd save Yosemite for  another trip.  I  also doubt you can average 60 mph towing a trailer.  Consider rest stops, meal breaks , construction zones, two lane roads and your average mileage will be considerably less. 

While I  commend you for your planning I think you will wear yourself out.  Even if you are young! Just sayin'

It seems a shame to spend all that driving time to get to Yosemite, and then not see King's Canyon, Sequoia, and Death Valley. Why not save the California parks for another trip?

The driving time between Bryce and the campgrounds in Zion is a good 5 hours or more. You would not be able to see both in the same day. While you are in Utah, you really should see Cedar Breaks, Capitol Reef, Arches, and (possibly) Canyon Lands. You could do it if you don't go to Yosemite.

Driving from Yellowstone to Glacier in one day, certainly will not allow any time for sightseeing on that day. I would be inclined to skip Glacier and add the extra time to the Tetons and Yellowstone. You can easily spend a week in Yellowstone and still feel that you missed a lot of it. One worthwhile side trip from Yellowstone is the Beartooth Highway (hwy. 212) from the NE entrance to Red Lodge. At almost 11,000 ft., it is one of the most spectacular roads in the country.

I would be surprised if you can get from Glacier to the Black Hills in one day. However, while at the Black Hills, another 2 or 3 hours will get you to the Badlands. The scenery there is really unique.

Joel

Betty, I may take your advice on Zion/Bryce.  We may just concentrate on Zion and leave Bryce for another time.  I want to hike to Angels landing! I was already tinkering with that as a possibility.  As for Yosemite, its about 560 mile drive.  It will be a full day of driving, I understand.  But, not sure why you don't see possible?  If I leave at 7am you don't think I could make it by 7pm?  Thats a MPH average of 45 MPH if I drive 12 hours. I do think thats  Then we have 3 full days to spend in Yosemite. 

I really don't think you can drive Yosemite to Bryce in one day. Two minimum. The roads between them are not exactly freeways. 120 between 395 and the entrance station to Yosemite is impossibly steep. Your truck might not even be able to pull it.

Great Horn,  I understand there will be places in every state that are "must sees".  And everyone surely has their opinion on what those are.  If I were to stop at everyones must sees I would need a year for this trip, LOL.  ;D Seems like everywhere you go there's another place to go see.  :eek:  While I am sure there are many things to see between Yellowstone and Glacier, my goal is to spend a week in Glacier. I am sure I will be quite happy with the view there.  My wife and I are paramedics who don't make a ton of money.  A trip like this takes years to save for.  Every trip has a goal and ours on this is to see some of the great national parks.  In the future, I may try and narrow it down to states or regions.  But for now this is what we want. We love to drive.  Some find it tiresome and a burden.  I don't, so thats a non issue for me and my family.  We've been to Yellowstone and the Tetons, so we are not trying to cover the entire park.  We just want to revisit some of our favorite places.  I can't wait to sit on the outdoor deck of the Old Faithful Inn with a cold beer and watch it go.  We also have driven the beartooth and I agree with you completly!  We have 8 days in Glacier and I may adjust that to give us a little more wiggle on our way to the Black Hills.  My current plan to leave the morning of July 16th may get adjusted to the following.  We may leave the afternoon (1-2pm) of July 15th and cover half the drive.  That will give us time the next day to see Devils Tower, then head to the campsite.  So, thanks for that advice.  Also, we have 3 full days in the Black Hills and one of them will be a day trip over to the Badlands.  :)

Seiler,  I've read that much larger and heavier rigs making that drive.  I have a small (15') light camper that will weigh approx 3500-4000# loaded and my towing capacity is 9500#.  I will read up more on 120, Thanks. 

Fyrestorm said:
As for Yosemite, its about 560 mile drive.  It will be a full day of driving, I understand.  But, not sure why you don't see possible? 

As Seilorbird mentions, the road from Zion to  Yosemite  is not an Interstate.  You  plan to  be there end of June and the  Tioga pass at times does not open until after July  4 depending  on the  snow pack for the year.  There are some  mountain grades to consider.  I'm just giving you  some input.  Things can look pretty smooth when  running numbers on a mapping program, then the reality of the terrain, time of year, grades, switchbacks, traffic ( through Las Vegas)  and all come into  play.  I like to allow a bit of leeway in traveling.  It is a super idea  that you ask for advice so  you  get a feel from those who have done it before.

You will love Angels Landing.  My husband and several other " oldies" on this RVForum  hiked it a few years ago.  I will leave those heights to others!

Betty Brewer said:
It is a super idea  that you ask for advice so  you  get a feel from those who have done it before.
You will love Angels Landing.  My husband and several other " oldies" on this RVForum  hiked it a few years ago.  I will leave those heights to others!

And thats why I'm asking!  ;D  I've driven out west but not on some of these roads.  Its great to find a place like this with folks willing to help.  Although I knew I was going to get a little heat about being too ambitious, LOL!!!  ;D  I will look into adding an extra travel day between Zion and Yosemite then.  Appreciate the info!

Will your son go with you on the Angel's Landing hike?  Personally I don't believe it's a place for children.  It can be very dangerous even for adults.  If your 10 year old son is responsible and obeys when you tell him not to do something, it might be okay, but it's not a place to play around.  The part past Scout's Lookout is hanging onto a chain with a 1,000-foot drop straight down.  It also is not for the faint of heart.

ArdraF

lol SeilerBird, there is no doubt left that you are completely back to normal. Congratulations !!  ;D

Back
Top Bottom